WinXP Pro-SP2-Windows Update Hangs

I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform a Windows
Update.

Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting to
load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE status bar).

Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
policies configured.

System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.

Does anybody have a clue here?

-AS

WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
Windows Update Checklist

Adam Selene wrote:
> I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware.
> Among the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform
> a Windows Update.
>
> Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting
> to load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE
> status bar).
>
> Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no
> local policies configured.
>
> System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a
> 2Wire 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
>
> Does anybody have a clue here?
>
> -AS

I didn't recognize any of these. Of course, the spyware/malware probably
qualifies.
WUP merely opens IE and hangs with a blank screen. There is no error
message. Clearly, it's connected with the WU function though. ALL OTHER
URLs behave normally in IE. Only the windowsupdate.microsoft.com hosts seem
to be affected.

-AS

"Adam Selene" wrote:

> I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
> the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform a Windows
> Update.
>
> Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting to
> load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE status bar).
>
> Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
> policies configured.
>
> System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
> 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
>
> Does anybody have a clue here?
>
> -AS

Try this link:
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

You may need to reregister the Controls.

Download and reinstall the V5 of Windows Update Active X Controls at:-
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/SelfUpdate/AU/x86/XP/en/wusetup.cab
Save the file to the desktop and extract the files to a temp folder.
The files are :
WUSETUP.CAT
WUSETUP.INF
Right click on the WUSETUP.INF file and choose "Install".
Reboot the computer and retry Windows Update.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193385
WINUP: Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update