WinXP Pro-SP2-Windows Update Hangs

I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform a Windows
Update.

Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting to
load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE status bar).

Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
policies configured.

System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.

Does anybody have a clue here?

-AS
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp windows update hangs

    WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    Windows Update Checklist

    Adam Selene wrote:
    > I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware.
    > Among the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform
    > a Windows Update.
    >
    > Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting
    > to load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE
    > status bar).
    >
    > Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no
    > local policies configured.
    >
    > System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a
    > 2Wire 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
    >
    > Does anybody have a clue here?
    >
    > -AS

    I didn't recognize any of these. Of course, the spyware/malware probably
    qualifies.
    WUP merely opens IE and hangs with a blank screen. There is no error
    message. Clearly, it's connected with the WU function though. ALL OTHER
    URLs behave normally in IE. Only the windowsupdate.microsoft.com hosts seem
    to be affected.

    -AS

    "Adam Selene" wrote:

    > I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware. Among
    > the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform a Windows
    > Update.
    >
    > Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting to
    > load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE status bar).
    >
    > Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no local
    > policies configured.
    >
    > System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a 2Wire
    > 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
    >
    > Does anybody have a clue here?
    >
    > -AS

    Try this link:
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    You may need to reregister the Controls.

    Download and reinstall the V5 of Windows Update Active X Controls at:-
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/SelfUpdate/AU/x86/XP/en/wusetup.cab
    Save the file to the desktop and extract the files to a temp folder.
    The files are :
    WUSETUP.CAT
    WUSETUP.INF
    Right click on the WUSETUP.INF file and choose "Install".
    Reboot the computer and retry Windows Update.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193385
    WINUP: Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update

    "Adam Selene" <AdamSelene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I didn't recognize any of these. Of course, the spyware/malware probably
    > qualifies.
    > WUP merely opens IE and hangs with a blank screen. There is no error
    > message. Clearly, it's connected with the WU function though. ALL OTHER
    > URLs behave normally in IE. Only the windowsupdate.microsoft.com hosts seem
    > to be affected.
    >
    > -AS
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    >> WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234
    >>
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    >> Windows Update Checklist
    >>

    >> Adam Selene wrote:
    >> > I've been trying to rescue a laptop that was infested with spyware.
    >> > Among the many behaviours this thing exhibits, I'm unable to perform
    >> > a Windows Update.
    >> >
    >> > Launching Windows Update gets IE started and it hangs forever waiting
    >> > to load "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com" (according to the IE
    >> > status bar).
    >> >
    >> > Account is local administrator, no domain involved, apparently no
    >> > local policies configured.
    >> >
    >> > System is running Symantec Norton AntiVirus (9.0.0.338) and has a
    >> > 2Wire 802.11b cardbus adapter with drivers & services.
    >> >
    >> > Does anybody have a clue here?
    >> >
    >> > -AS

Internet Explorer Windows Update Windows XP