Attn Wes - Sharing and Security

Wes, thanks for the info.

I know all that...I know that you cannot share Documents and Settings,
Windows, etc. I know about the adequate rights of users.
The problem is - I am the administrator, I am signed in as the
administraotr, I am trying to share a drive (not C but a different
part...second partition), and even if I am trying to share anything else
(say, a new folder that I open under C)...the problem is that the Sharing
and Security button (or link, whatever you want to call it) under the
Properties is simply not there...
I have File and Printer Sharing for MS installed, I removed it and
re-installed just in case - nothing; did not solve the problem.
Server is running and is set to Automatic start....
So everything is like it's suppose to be.

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about attn sharing security

    John,

    Have a look through these and see if you can find something I may have
    missed.

    [[Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition.]]

    How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ubrkh4WYFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    John <ein_shem@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes, thanks for the info.
    >
    > I know all that...I know that you cannot share Documents and Settings,
    > Windows, etc. I know about the adequate rights of users.
    > The problem is - I am the administrator, I am signed in as the
    > administraotr, I am trying to share a drive (not C but a different
    > part...second partition), and even if I am trying to share anything else
    > (say, a new folder that I open under C)...the problem is that the Sharing
    > and Security button (or link, whatever you want to call it) under the
    > Properties is simply not there...
    > I have File and Printer Sharing for MS installed, I removed it and
    > re-installed just in case - nothing; did not solve the problem.
    > Server is running and is set to Automatic start....
    > So everything is like it's suppose to be.
    >
    > Thanks.

Security Microsoft Windows XP