Attn Wes - Sharing and Security

May 25, 2005 9:10:12 PM

Wes, thanks for the info.

I know all that...I know that you cannot share Documents and Settings,
Windows, etc. I know about the adequate rights of users.
The problem is - I am the administrator, I am signed in as the
administraotr, I am trying to share a drive (not C but a different
part...second partition), and even if I am trying to share anything else
(say, a new folder that I open under C)...the problem is that the Sharing
and Security button (or link, whatever you want to call it) under the
Properties is simply not there...
I have File and Printer Sharing for MS installed, I removed it and
re-installed just in case - nothing; did not solve the problem.
Server is running and is set to Automatic start....
So everything is like it's suppose to be.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 25, 2005 9:10:13 PM

John,

Have a look through these and see if you can find something I may have
missed.

[[Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition.]]

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ubrkh4WYFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,