MSDN Article: "How To Restrict TCP/IP Ports on Windows 200..

I was hoping to restrict the range of ports used by Internet Explorer fo
incoming traffic to a range above 5000. However the following article
appears to be no longer valid on my XP Pro (SP2) box:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300083

I do the following:

1. From the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Administrative
Tools, and then click Component Services to start Component Services.
2. Click to expand the Component Services and Computers nodes.
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

But at this point there's nothing that resembles Step 3....

So is there an alternative, perhaps via the Registry ?

Basically I want to restrict the local port usage of applications to a
certain range of TCP/UDP ports.

Thanks in advance

Steve

The article you refer to is for "RPC" via "DCOM" - if you wish to just
restrict a range of ports via TCP/UDP, then you need to do this in your
firewall configuration, whether it be the windows firewall or some other 3rd
party firewall product.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com