Problems installing Norton I S 2005

I have tried to install NIS 2005 on my machine which I upgraded to XP Pro
SP2. First time the system hanged up while installing. Any number of attempts
after that the CD failed to respond to Install button from intro screen.
Supplier has supplied a replacement CD, still no joy.
I have tried setting up trial version from symantec, same.
In the Add/Remove it lists NIS2005.
Please any MVP can you advise.

Regards.

Malke

dhanna wrote:

> I have tried to install NIS 2005 on my machine which I upgraded to XP
> Pro SP2. First time the system hanged up while installing. Any number
> of attempts after that the CD failed to respond to Install button from
> intro screen. Supplier has supplied a replacement CD, still no joy.
> I have tried setting up trial version from symantec, same.
> In the Add/Remove it lists NIS2005.
> Please any MVP can you advise.
>
> Regards.

You will have a hard time finding any techs (including me) who recommend
Norton products any more. However, the usual reason for failure to
install an antivirus program is that the computer is already infected.
Do you know definitely that the computer is 100% virus-free? If you
think so, what did you do to determine this?

If you are unsure whether the computer is clean, start by running
TrendMicro's Sysclean in Safe Mode:

TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary and
Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
useful like "Sysclean".
2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
menu.
4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

Then run antispyware programs like Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy,
updating them first, and doing the scans in Safe Mode. Then try your
NIS install. If still no joy, then try a different antivirus program.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for your prompt detailed response Malke. I will go through the steps
you have given in your reply. I have suspected theres something wrong for a
while but have not had the experience and knowledge to tackle it. It did not
help when some of the XP SP2 components did not install properly, leaving me
NO search for files facility AND NO access to help & support function.
Thanks a lot once again.

Regards Dhanna

Malke wrote:

> You will have a hard time finding any techs (including me) who
> recommend Norton products any more.

I'm curious as to why that is. I don't have any loyalty to Norton or
anything else, but merely curious why it seems to have fallen from
favor with most IT types (including you).

--
Segovia - 26/05/2005 4:57:07 PM

Malke

Segovia wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>
>> You will have a hard time finding any techs (including me) who
>> recommend Norton products any more.
>
> I'm curious as to why that is. I don't have any loyalty to Norton or
> anything else, but merely curious why it seems to have fallen from
> favor with most IT types (including you).

Most of us in the tech business have seen nothing but troubles with
Norton products over the last few years. The last good one, IMO, was
NAV 2003. The software is too big, too bloated, too invasive, and puts
too many hooks into the system. When NAV or NIS is running well, then
things are OK (if the computer has enough processor power and RAM to
handle the slowdown), but when those Norton programs break, it is
difficult to fix them. They don't uninstall cleanly either. I used NAV
and other Norton programs from the DOS days to NAV2003, but no longer.

Malke
--

> Segovia wrote:
>
> > Malke wrote:
> >
> >> You will have a hard time finding any techs (including me) who
> >> recommend Norton products any more.
> >
> > I'm curious as to why that is. I don't have any loyalty to Norton or
> > anything else, but merely curious why it seems to have fallen from
> > favor with most IT types (including you).
> >
> Most of us in the tech business have seen nothing but troubles with
> Norton products over the last few years. The last good one, IMO, was
> NAV 2003. The software is too big, too bloated, too invasive, and puts
> too many hooks into the system. When NAV or NIS is running well, then
> things are OK (if the computer has enough processor power and RAM to
> handle the slowdown), but when those Norton programs break, it is
> difficult to fix them. They don't uninstall cleanly either. I used NAV
> and other Norton programs from the DOS days to NAV2003, but no longer.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

OK, I too have had issues with Norton, but which ones do people
favor (antivirus chiefly) ?? I currently have NAV 2003 on three
machines in the house, but am looking at switching to another
anti-virus for them. What do people (who are used to this sort
of thing) prefer for anti-virus. We use McAfee at work, but I was
not happy with their install a while back.

mikey

Malke

Mike Fields wrote:

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Segovia wrote:

>> > I'm curious as to why that is. I don't have any loyalty to Norton
>> > or anything else, but merely curious why it seems to have fallen
>> > from favor with most IT types (including you).
>> >
>> Most of us in the tech business have seen nothing but troubles with
>> Norton products over the last few years. The last good one, IMO, was
>> NAV 2003. The software is too big, too bloated, too invasive, and
>> puts too many hooks into the system. When NAV or NIS is running well,
>> then things are OK (if the computer has enough processor power and
>> RAM to handle the slowdown), but when those Norton programs break, it
>> is difficult to fix them. They don't uninstall cleanly either. I used
>> NAV and other Norton programs from the DOS days to NAV2003, but no
>> longer.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> OK, I too have had issues with Norton, but which ones do people
> favor (antivirus chiefly) ?? I currently have NAV 2003 on three
> machines in the house, but am looking at switching to another
> anti-virus for them. What do people (who are used to this sort
> of thing) prefer for anti-virus. We use McAfee at work, but I was
> not happy with their install a while back.
>
> mikey

That's such a personal preference it's hard to give you a specific
answer. You can download some trial versions of different av's to see
which you like best. Just make sure to uninstall the previous programs
first. I use F-Prot on all my Windows machines and I like it a lot. It
is very reasonably priced, does a good job, has very frequent updates,
and is easy on system resources.

http://www.f-prot.com

There are lots of other av's, though.

Malke
--

> Mike Fields wrote:
>

> > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I too have had issues with Norton, but which ones do people
> > favor (antivirus chiefly) ?? I currently have NAV 2003 on three
> > machines in the house, but am looking at switching to another
> > anti-virus for them. What do people (who are used to this sort
> > of thing) prefer for anti-virus. We use McAfee at work, but I was
> > not happy with their install a while back.
> >
> > mikey
>
> That's such a personal preference it's hard to give you a specific
> answer. You can download some trial versions of different av's to see
> which you like best. Just make sure to uninstall the previous programs
> first. I use F-Prot on all my Windows machines and I like it a lot. It
> is very reasonably priced, does a good job, has very frequent updates,
> and is easy on system resources.
>
> http://www.f-prot.com
>
> There are lots of other av's, though.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for the info - I understand the "personal preference"
issue -- try asking what is the "best video editor" in the video
groups and see what kind of battle starts !!
I have one machine that I plan on testing
several different ones on and see what I like (Norton has
expired on that one).

mikey

Malke wrote:

> When NAV or NIS is running well, then
> things are OK (if the computer has enough processor power and RAM to
> handle the slowdown), but when those Norton programs break, it is
> difficult to fix them. They don't uninstall cleanly either. I used NAV
> and other Norton programs from the DOS days to NAV2003, but no longer.

Yep, I've seen the problem of getting it completely uninstalled
mentioned many times in various groups. I've not had that problem,
perhaps because I've never tried to uninstall it. ;-)

I've used Norton since 2003 only. What I noticed was that 2003 and
2004 were pretty heavy on system resourses, as you describe, but 2005
was an improvement in that area.

--
Segovia - 28/05/2005 2:54:45 AM

Malke,
I don't know which is more productive, forget protection and keep data off
computer archive or suffer pains of trying to set up defences.
I went to F-Prot site download F-Prot for trial. Saved it to disc, then
tried executing the fp-win-trial.exe, message came up, 'not a valid WIN32
application'
This is after doing a couple of scans with Sysclean, removing 2 Virus first
time and 5 second time and THEN failing to install NIS2005 from CD and
trialware.
I must confess to Norton/Symantec not EVER working for me including NIS2003.
I suppose considering price of USD29 for 5 machines would be worth trying if
it won't be in vain.
Are there any settings that I might have which cause probs ?
Your advice please.

Regards Dhanna 28.5.05

"Malke" wrote:

> Mike Fields wrote:
>

> > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

> >> Most of us in the tech business have seen nothing but troubles with
> >> Norton products over the last few years. The last good one, IMO, was
> >> NAV 2003. The software is too big, too bloated, too invasive, and
> >> puts too many hooks into the system. When NAV or NIS is running well,
> >> then things are OK (if the computer has enough processor power and
> >> RAM to handle the slowdown), but when those Norton programs break, it
> >> is difficult to fix them. They don't uninstall cleanly either. I used
> >> NAV and other Norton programs from the DOS days to NAV2003, but no
> >> longer.
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > OK, I too have had issues with Norton, but which ones do people
> > favor (antivirus chiefly) ?? I currently have NAV 2003 on three
> > machines in the house, but am looking at switching to another
> > anti-virus for them. What do people (who are used to this sort
> > of thing) prefer for anti-virus. We use McAfee at work, but I was
> > not happy with their install a while back.
> >
> > mikey
>
> That's such a personal preference it's hard to give you a specific
> answer. You can download some trial versions of different av's to see
> which you like best. Just make sure to uninstall the previous programs
> first. I use F-Prot on all my Windows machines and I like it a lot. It
> is very reasonably priced, does a good job, has very frequent updates,
> and is easy on system resources.
>
> http://www.f-prot.com
>
> There are lots of other av's, though.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

dhanna wrote:

> Malke,
> I don't know which is more productive, forget protection and keep data
> off computer archive or suffer pains of trying to set up defences.
> I went to F-Prot site download F-Prot for trial. Saved it to disc,
> then tried executing the fp-win-trial.exe, message came up, 'not a
> valid WIN32 application'
> This is after doing a couple of scans with Sysclean, removing 2 Virus
> first time and 5 second time and THEN failing to install NIS2005 from
> CD and trialware.
> I must confess to Norton/Symantec not EVER working for me including
> NIS2003. I suppose considering price of USD29 for 5 machines would be
> worth trying if it won't be in vain.
> Are there any settings that I might have which cause probs ?
> Your advice please.

Dhanna, you've got some real issues on the computer that have nothing to
do with F-Prot, and may have nothing to do with NIS. It sounds to me
like the computer is still infected with viruses and/or malware and/or
some system files have been damaged because of the malware. There isn't
any way for me to be more specific from a newsgroup posting.

I can tell you that a properly secured Windows machine (i.e., with good
av, firewall, and operating system-major applications patches) runs
well and is not painful to maintain at all. I have lots of Windows
machines here that are used heavily by myself and teenagers (which
should tell you something about their surfing/downloading habits) and
we don't have issues.

You can try going through my malware removal steps systematically -
including running HijackThis and posting your log to one of the
suggested HJT fora (*not* here) - or take your machine to a computer
professional (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and get it set
up right. I strongly suggest the latter - not to hurt your feelings but
because I think this will be the most efficient and practical course of
action for you.

Here is the link to the malware removal steps for your convenience:

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for your inspirational post Malke. After reading it I persevered and
ended up looking at the Registry by link from Spybot scan. Found Symantec
folder that needed deleting(guessed). Deleting it did the trick, now I have
managed to install NIS and have managed get thru pains of configuring it.
Thanks for your help and pointers.

Regards, Dhanna 1.6.05

"Malke" wrote:

> dhanna wrote:
>
> > Malke,
> > I don't know which is more productive, forget protection and keep data
> > off computer archive or suffer pains of trying to set up defences.
> > I went to F-Prot site download F-Prot for trial. Saved it to disc,
> > then tried executing the fp-win-trial.exe, message came up, 'not a
> > valid WIN32 application'
> > This is after doing a couple of scans with Sysclean, removing 2 Virus
> > first time and 5 second time and THEN failing to install NIS2005 from
> > CD and trialware.
> > I must confess to Norton/Symantec not EVER working for me including
> > NIS2003. I suppose considering price of USD29 for 5 machines would be
> > worth trying if it won't be in vain.
> > Are there any settings that I might have which cause probs ?
> > Your advice please.
>
> Dhanna, you've got some real issues on the computer that have nothing to
> do with F-Prot, and may have nothing to do with NIS. It sounds to me
> like the computer is still infected with viruses and/or malware and/or
> some system files have been damaged because of the malware. There isn't
> any way for me to be more specific from a newsgroup posting.
>
> I can tell you that a properly secured Windows machine (i.e., with good
> av, firewall, and operating system-major applications patches) runs
> well and is not painful to maintain at all. I have lots of Windows
> machines here that are used heavily by myself and teenagers (which
> should tell you something about their surfing/downloading habits) and
> we don't have issues.
>
> You can try going through my malware removal steps systematically -
> including running HijackThis and posting your log to one of the
> suggested HJT fora (*not* here) - or take your machine to a computer
> professional (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and get it set
> up right. I strongly suggest the latter - not to hurt your feelings but
> because I think this will be the most efficient and practical course of
> action for you.
>
> Here is the link to the malware removal steps for your convenience:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

dhanna wrote:

> Thanks for your inspirational post Malke. After reading it I
> persevered and ended up looking at the Registry by link from Spybot
> scan. Found Symantec folder that needed deleting(guessed). Deleting it
> did the trick, now I have managed to install NIS and have managed get
> thru pains of configuring it. Thanks for your help and pointers.

Excellent! I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let
me know.

Stay safe now, and have fun -

Malke