AIW 9800 Pro - No Doom 3?

I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had the
vanilla pro before and the game ran great.

Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I think
I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV tuner/capture
board?

In article <rw2Fd.16449$Y_4.2040734@read2.cgocable.net>, Tweek says...
> I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had the
> vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
>
> Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I think
> I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV tuner/capture
> board?

THere is NO DIFFERENCE between the cards. The AIW is a Pro with a TV
Tuner and VIVO attached. It even uses the same drivers.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Tweek" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
> I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
the
> vanilla pro before and the game ran great.

This hints at a driver problem... which means if you yank out the AIW and
put back the vanilla card, the symptoms will probably remain.

> Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I think
> I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV tuner/capture
> board?

Well, there's only space for one monitor connector on the backplate. I
thought people knew this before before buying the AIW.

Just get the ATi TV Wonder or LeadTek's WinfastTV.

Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <rw2Fd.16449$Y_4.2040734@read2.cgocable.net>, Tweek says...
> > I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
the
> > vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
> >
> > Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I
think
> > I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV
tuner/capture
> > board?
> >
> THere is NO DIFFERENCE between the cards. The AIW is a Pro with a TV
> Tuner and VIVO attached. It even uses the same drivers.
> --
> Conor

Actually, there is a WDM capture driver on top of the catalysts for the
AIW's. I remember reading somewhere else that it screwed up Doom 3. Maybe
it's only for systems with 98SE like this one.

Also, my regular 9800 pro had a VGA out, this AIW does not...

--
Tweek

Wazza

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

> "Tweek" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
>> I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
> the
>> vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
>
> This hints at a driver problem... which means if you yank out the AIW and
> put back the vanilla card, the symptoms will probably remain.
>
>> Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I
>> think
>> I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV tuner/capture
>> board?
>
> Well, there's only space for one monitor connector on the backplate. I
> thought people knew this before before buying the AIW.

He is talking about the 9800 pro. There is 3 video outs. Mine has vga, dvi
(vga adapter was included) and s-video.

"Tweek" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
> I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
the
> vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
>
> Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I think
> I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV tuner/capture
> board?

TV Tuner is nice if you use it, but having it built into your video card is
stupid. The usuability life of a Tuner card is a lot longer than a video
card, so why toss it every time you upgrade?

If you're shopping for a new Tuner card, be sure it has MPEG2 compression in
hardware.

Noozer <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message

> "Tweek" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
> > I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
> the
> > vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
> >
> > Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I
think
> > I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV
tuner/capture
> > board?
>
> TV Tuner is nice if you use it, but having it built into your video card
is
> stupid. The usuability life of a Tuner card is a lot longer than a video
> card, so why toss it every time you upgrade?
>
> If you're shopping for a new Tuner card, be sure it has MPEG2 compression
in
> hardware.

I only got the damn thing because they didn't have a regular 9800 pro to fix
my one with a busted fan. I think I'll go to a different location this
weekend and exchange it yet again. I have no interest in watching TV on my
PC... no interest in watching TV at all.

Neg. He was talking about "losing hydravision" because he switched to the
AIW card, willingly or not...

Noozer wrote:

> "Tweek" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
>> I can no longer run Doom 3 now that I've gotten the AIW 9800 Pro. I had
> the
>> vanilla pro before and the game ran great.
>>
>> Between this, and losing hydravision (no multiple monitor support) I
>> think I'll return the card for a vanilla. Who needs the stupid TV
>> tuner/capture board?
>
> TV Tuner is nice if you use it, but having it built into your video card
> is stupid. The usuability life of a Tuner card is a lot longer than a
> video card, so why toss it every time you upgrade?
>
> If you're shopping for a new Tuner card, be sure it has MPEG2 compression
> in hardware.

Why? MPEG2 is only one compression type and if it's in hardware you're
locked into the level at which the hardware was made, including any bugs in
the hardware.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> > TV Tuner is nice if you use it, but having it built into your video card
> > is stupid. The usuability life of a Tuner card is a lot longer than a
> > video card, so why toss it every time you upgrade?
> >
> > If you're shopping for a new Tuner card, be sure it has MPEG2
compression
> > in hardware.
>
> Why? MPEG2 is only one compression type and if it's in hardware you're
> locked into the level at which the hardware was made, including any bugs
in
> the hardware.

Because Win MCE 2005 won't support anything without MPEG2 in hardware so
most cards are going to go that way.

Just because you have an encoder in hardware doesn't mean you can't use a
software codec if you want.

>> > TV Tuner is nice if you use it, but having it built into your video
>> > card
>> > is stupid. The usuability life of a Tuner card is a lot longer than a
>> > video card, so why toss it every time you upgrade?
>> >
>> > If you're shopping for a new Tuner card, be sure it has MPEG2
> compression
>> > in hardware.
>>
>> Why? MPEG2 is only one compression type and if it's in hardware you're
>> locked into the level at which the hardware was made, including any bugs
> in
>> the hardware.
>
> Because Win MCE 2005 won't support anything without MPEG2 in hardware so
> most cards are going to go that way.
>
> Just because you have an encoder in hardware doesn't mean you can't use a
> software codec if you want.

have you ever tried to encode using software???? an average DVD takes around
4 hours to decode in software(give or take a little)i've made several. i'm
not sure about how long it takes with a hardware encoder but i know it
Wouldn't use 90% of my CPU effectively limiting what i can do while it
encodes.

Cliff wrote:

> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message

>> compression
>>>
>>> Why? MPEG2 is only one compression type and if it's in hardware you're
>>> locked into the level at which the hardware was made, including any bugs
>> in
>>> the hardware.
>>
>> Because Win MCE 2005 won't support anything without MPEG2 in hardware so
>> most cards are going to go that way.
>>
>> Just because you have an encoder in hardware doesn't mean you can't use a
>> software codec if you want.
>>

> have you ever tried to encode using software???? an average DVD takes
> around 4 hours to decode in software(give or take a little)i've made
> several.

So? The hardware encoder on a video tuner board does not help you encode
DVDs. And it certainly doesn't _de_code anything. It takes analog video
in one end and gives you a compressed bytestream out the other end. It
doesn't take a bytestream in one format in one end and emit one in another
out the other end. For that you need a board purpose-made for encoding
DVDs, and that board doesn't help you capture video.

> i'm not sure about how long it takes with a hardware encoder but
> i know it Wouldn't use 90% of my CPU effectively limiting what i can do
> while it encodes.

So you're saying that it's not possible to do anything else while you're
recording video unless you have a hardware encoder on your capture board?
What are you running, a 486?

And what happens if you're not making DVDs, and need to encode in a format
that the hardware encoder doesn't support?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

What software are you using? With TMPGEnc, converting a movie-length file
from XviD to MPEG2 takes about 90 minutes for my 1.4 GHz Athlon, actually
slightly faster than real-time. CPU usage is at 90-100%, but normal
web-browsing and email are not affected. All this, in Win98.

MPEG2 is pretty lightweight computational-wise compared to MPEG4, Divx,
XviD, etc.

> Cliff wrote:
>

>> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message

>>> compression

>>> in
>>>
>>> Because Win MCE 2005 won't support anything without MPEG2 in hardware so
>>> most cards are going to go that way.
>>>
>>> Just because you have an encoder in hardware doesn't mean you can't use
>>> software codec if you want.
>>>

>> have you ever tried to encode using software???? an average DVD takes
>> around 4 hours to decode in software(give or take a little)i've made
>> several.
>
> So? The hardware encoder on a video tuner board does not help you encode
> DVDs. And it certainly doesn't _de_code anything. It takes analog video
> in one end and gives you a compressed bytestream out the other end. It
> doesn't take a bytestream in one format in one end and emit one in another
> out the other end. For that you need a board purpose-made for encoding
> DVDs, and that board doesn't help you capture video.
>
>> i'm not sure about how long it takes with a hardware encoder but
>> i know it Wouldn't use 90% of my CPU effectively limiting what i can do
>> while it encodes.
>
> So you're saying that it's not possible to do anything else while you're
> recording video unless you have a hardware encoder on your capture board?
> What are you running, a 486?
>
> And what happens if you're not making DVDs, and need to encode in a format
> that the hardware encoder doesn't support?

"And it certainly doesn't _de_code anything."
My mistake that was a typo

And well if it isnt mpeg2 then i guess my ass would be using software or not
doing it at all(probably the latter).

I was referring to converting from xvid/divx to mpeg2. not recording from a
line in.(was under the imression that it would still encode..although now
that i think about it, it wouldnt)
it stated that it was going to take approximately 4 hours to complete, in
the end it only ended up taking around 3hrs.
And when it is encoding in software, it is running aprox. 95-98% using
Nero(others have way too many options to choose from)

As far as my specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ @ 2189
ASUS A7S333
1Gb PC2700