PCI Express guys: Anyone try the new(?) ATI Fire cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2005 1:44:16 AM

Hi,

I have a buddy who works in a brokerage firm who just upgraded some
broker's PC's to a PCI-Express PC (Dell?). The brokers absolutely
have to have a dual monitor configuration. He wants to use the PCI
Express slot.

Will these ATI Fire cards handle pretty extreme (but not gaming
quality) graphics with two monitors (flat screens)?

Thanks,

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:15:02 PM

Works fine (in a Dell Precision 470), but would much prefer a Nvidia
(QuadroFX1300) for MCAD applications.

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:p 0e9u0lgikavpj72cdmvju7934ret9pqd5@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a buddy who works in a brokerage firm who just upgraded some
> broker's PC's to a PCI-Express PC (Dell?). The brokers absolutely
> have to have a dual monitor configuration. He wants to use the PCI
> Express slot.
>
> Will these ATI Fire cards handle pretty extreme (but not gaming
> quality) graphics with two monitors (flat screens)?
>
> Thanks,
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:16:40 AM

>Works fine (in a Dell Precision 470), but would much prefer a Nvidia
>(QuadroFX1300) for MCAD applications.

Thanks Luc. What is a MCAD application?

>"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
>news:p 0e9u0lgikavpj72cdmvju7934ret9pqd5@4ax.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a buddy who works in a brokerage firm who just upgraded some
>> broker's PC's to a PCI-Express PC (Dell?). The brokers absolutely
>> have to have a dual monitor configuration. He wants to use the PCI
>> Express slot.
>>
>> Will these ATI Fire cards handle pretty extreme (but not gaming
>> quality) graphics with two monitors (flat screens)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> -pw
>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
January 17, 2005 11:21:36 AM

> >Works fine (in a Dell Precision 470), but would much prefer a Nvidia
> >(QuadroFX1300) for MCAD applications.
> >

> Thanks Luc. What is a MCAD application?

Mechanical Computer Aided Design (Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Solidwork,
Solid Edge, ProE)

as opposed to ECAD (Electronic Computer Aided Design)
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:33:18 PM

>"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> >Works fine (in a Dell Precision 470), but would much prefer a Nvidia
>> >(QuadroFX1300) for MCAD applications.
>> >

>> Thanks Luc. What is a MCAD application?
>>
>Mechanical Computer Aided Design (Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Solidwork,
>Solid Edge, ProE)
>
>as opposed to ECAD (Electronic Computer Aided Design)

don't know that I understand the difference, but sounds impressive and
that the card should work!

Thanks so much.

!