Upgrading to Symantec 10

May 26, 2005 3:41:07 PM

We have a number of Windows XP PC's with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
9.0. We got a letter from Symantec saying we had an upgrade to 10.0. I
followed the instructions, downloaded the upgrade, and installed it. It
installed fine on every PC but one. On this one, it gives the message that
the install of the upgrade “was interrupted�, and it did not install.

I tried taking things out of selective startup, in case some background
process was interrupting the install. Still the same result. I unplugged
this PC from the Internet, but still the upgrade did not install.

PLEASE do not say contact the vendor. I have posted this question with
Symantec with no reply whatsoever. Does anyone know how to get an answer
from Symantec??

This upgrade applies to a number of PC's and it installed fine in all except
this one. What can I do?

Thanks,

Wayne McKinstry
Tech Services
Chatham Area Library

--
Wayne

More about : upgrading symantec

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:28:23 PM

Their online forms are very slow to get response. If you have at least the
Gold Maintenance Agreement, you can phone them.

Tom

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| We have a number of Windows XP PC's with Symantec Antivirus Corporate
Edition
| 9.0. We got a letter from Symantec saying we had an upgrade to 10.0. I
| followed the instructions, downloaded the upgrade, and installed it. It
| installed fine on every PC but one. On this one, it gives the message
that
| the install of the upgrade "was interrupted", and it did not install.
|
| I tried taking things out of selective startup, in case some background
| process was interrupting the install. Still the same result. I unplugged
| this PC from the Internet, but still the upgrade did not install.
|
| PLEASE do not say contact the vendor. I have posted this question with
| Symantec with no reply whatsoever. Does anyone know how to get an answer
| from Symantec??
|
| This upgrade applies to a number of PC's and it installed fine in all
except
| this one. What can I do?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Wayne McKinstry
| Tech Services
| Chatham Area Library
|

| --
| Wayne
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:44:49 AM

In article <53DF1810-309D-4986-83FE-E6DC61FC5322@microsoft.com>,
Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> We have a number of Windows XP PC's with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
> 9.0. We got a letter from Symantec saying we had an upgrade to 10.0. I
> followed the instructions, downloaded the upgrade, and installed it. It
> installed fine on every PC but one. On this one, it gives the message that
> the install of the upgrade ⤽was interrupted⤝, and it did not install.
>
> I tried taking things out of selective startup, in case some background
> process was interrupting the install. Still the same result. I unplugged
> this PC from the Internet, but still the upgrade did not install.
>
> PLEASE do not say contact the vendor. I have posted this question with
> Symantec with no reply whatsoever. Does anyone know how to get an answer
> from Symantec??
>
> This upgrade applies to a number of PC's and it installed fine in all except
> this one. What can I do?

So far, I've installed 10 without any problems, but, you DIDN'T have to
upgrade just because the new version is out (assuming you were using 9).

Also, since you were sent the 10 upgrade, that means you have support
also - you can call support and get a human in a few minutes.

Before you call, uninstall Symantec, then clean the registry, then
reboot again, then install it from scratch.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
May 27, 2005 8:48:16 PM

Wayne wrote:

> We have a number of Windows XP PC's with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
> 9.0. We got a letter from Symantec saying we had an upgrade to 10.0. I
> followed the instructions, downloaded the upgrade, and installed it. It
> installed fine on every PC but one. On this one, it gives the message that
> the install of the upgrade “was interrupted�, and it did not install.
>
> I tried taking things out of selective startup, in case some background
> process was interrupting the install. Still the same result. I unplugged
> this PC from the Internet, but still the upgrade did not install.
Hi,

I suggest you remove the SAV CE 9.0/10.0 installation completely from
the computer first, and then install SAV CE 10.0 (without installing
SAV CE 9.0 first).

First remove it using Add/Remove Programs, and then do a manual cleanup
using the instructions in

"Manually uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x client
from Windows NT/2000/XP/2003"

and

"Manually uninstalling the Symantec AntiVirus 10.x client"

found at:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/d...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 8, 2005 3:04:59 PM

I have about 180 PC's I am in the process of upgrading. Out of those I
have found about 6 or so that had this issue. The following Symantec
Article worked for me. It has to do with an older version but this
solution works with Symantec Antivirus CE 10.0.

http://tinyurl.com/ag6og

--
murphyjrPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

I got a nice piece of software direct from symantec, called NoNAV
utility, which basically removes all traces of symantec/norton AV
software. it runs in a DOS window and makes you reboot when finished.
since it leaves your computer vulnerable, I would make sure you are not
connected to the internet, just to be safe.

It's not too big, and i can email it over to you if you think it will
help.

--
jmycknshkPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 22, 2005 12:15:49 AM

Could you post NoNav for all of us?
On the other hand, it seems to be only for corporate use. RNav might be
the one for end users.

See

http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=650

jmycknshk <jmycknshk.1qzmqa@> wrote in

> I got a nice piece of software direct from symantec, called NoNAV
> utility, which basically removes all traces of symantec/norton AV
> software. it runs in a DOS window and makes you reboot when finished.
> since it leaves your computer vulnerable, I would make sure you are not
> connected to the internet, just to be safe.
>
> It's not too big, and i can email it over to you if you think it will
> help.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:10:54 PM

--