Is 9600XT Video recording limited to 2 hours?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

When auto recording from TV Listings or manually, the full recording is
made if file
size is any indication. However, when playing back, after about 2 hours
(give or take
a few minutes) the picture starts breaking up and then freezes. Rarely
this breakdown
will occur earlier or later but usually observes the 2 hour limit.

I am using the latest ATI drivers. I have tried Omega drivers as well
with same results.

System is Intel 2.4gc P4 with matching Intel MB, 1 gb RAM. Dedicated
250GB HD.

Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate help.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack wrote:
> When auto recording from TV Listings or manually, the full recording is
> made if file
> size is any indication. However, when playing back, after about 2 hours
> (give or take
> a few minutes) the picture starts breaking up and then freezes. Rarely
> this breakdown
> will occur earlier or later but usually observes the 2 hour limit.
>
> I am using the latest ATI drivers. I have tried Omega drivers as well
> with same results.
>
> System is Intel 2.4gc P4 with matching Intel MB, 1 gb RAM. Dedicated
> 250GB HD.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

Is it to do with the filesize? Depending on your operating system I
believe there is a 2 or 4GB limit to any file. Could it be that?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:04:47 +0000, Heckler ²ºº? <spam@spam.com>
waffled on about something:

>Jack wrote:
>> When auto recording from TV Listings or manually, the full recording is
>> made if file
>> size is any indication. However, when playing back, after about 2 hours
>> (give or take
>> a few minutes) the picture starts breaking up and then freezes. Rarely
>> this breakdown
>> will occur earlier or later but usually observes the 2 hour limit.
>>
>> I am using the latest ATI drivers. I have tried Omega drivers as well
>> with same results.
>>
>> System is Intel 2.4gc P4 with matching Intel MB, 1 gb RAM. Dedicated
>> 250GB HD.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jack
>
>Is it to do with the filesize? Depending on your operating system I
>believe there is a 2 or 4GB limit to any file. Could it be that?

You're talking about the FAT32 file system limit of 2Gig.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Heckler ²ººï€‡ wrote:

> Jack wrote:
>
>> When auto recording from TV Listings or manually, the full recording
>> is made if file
>> size is any indication. However, when playing back, after about 2
>> hours (give or take
>> a few minutes) the picture starts breaking up and then freezes.
>> Rarely this breakdown
>> will occur earlier or later but usually observes the 2 hour limit.
>>
>> I am using the latest ATI drivers. I have tried Omega drivers as well
>> with same results.
>>
>> System is Intel 2.4gc P4 with matching Intel MB, 1 gb RAM. Dedicated
>> 250GB HD.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jack
>

> Is it to do with the filesize? Depending on your operating system I
> believe there is a 2 or 4GB limit to any file. Could it be that?

Not likely. Running w2k and the dedicated HD is NTFS by default which
theoretically allows unlimited recordings. Eg., Appocolypse recorded
some 10+ gb but only allowed about 2 hrs to view before breaking up.
I'm recording in ATI VCR since none of the other modes (.avi, mpeg, etc)
work at all; mpeg produces a black screen, avi a snow screen. Neither
shows any pics.

I wasted time sending an email to ATI tech and received a list of
totally useless suggestions from an automated system which paid no
attention to what I wrote. I guess from other mail that this is not a
surprise to anyone.

Since I can find no other references to my problem on the news group
I have to believe it's something *I'm* doing or not doing but I'm at a loss
as to what it might be. I've tried everything I can think of.

I guess this feature of ATI is a loss for me; too bad as it was the reason
it was bought. Disappointing!
Jack.