ati2dvag infinite loop bluescreen (9700mobility / Sony Not..

Hello,

on my Sony-vaio-laptop I encounter severe problems with the ati2dvag-driver.
The Computer hangs and a bluescreen appears with a message that says
something about the ati2dvag-driver who is presently in an infinite loop.

The only thing to get my computer to run is to switch the "processor to AGP"
connection to an "PCI to PCI bridge".

But here I loose all the advantages and speed of the graphics card.
Its mobility ati9700 and the laptop is a Sony vgn-s2xp with 1Gig Mem.

I searched all discussion forums but noone could really help.
Sony does not provide a new graphicsdriver (I called the techsupport but
they couldnt help)

Has anyone a clue ?
9 answers Last reply
More about ati2dvag infinite loop bluescreen 9700mobility sony

    ATI2DVAG is the file used by the SmartGART feature in ATI's drivers to
    detect the system's AGP capability.

    Go to Start -> Run and type

    services.msc

    Locate the item called ATISmart or something, open its properties, and
    toggle between "automatic" and "disabled".

    Did you recently f--- with AGP settings in BIOS? :-)

    "hellsurfy" <hellsurfy@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > on my Sony-vaio-laptop I encounter severe problems with the
    ati2dvag-driver.
    > The Computer hangs and a bluescreen appears with a message that says
    > something about the ati2dvag-driver who is presently in an infinite loop.
    >
    > The only thing to get my computer to run is to switch the "processor to
    AGP"
    > connection to an "PCI to PCI bridge".
    >
    > But here I loose all the advantages and speed of the graphics card.
    > Its mobility ati9700 and the laptop is a Sony vgn-s2xp with 1Gig Mem.
    >
    > I searched all discussion forums but noone could really help.
    > Sony does not provide a new graphicsdriver (I called the techsupport but
    > they couldnt help)
    >
    > Has anyone a clue ?

    thnx for your answer...
    ati hotkey poller is the only ati-related file I could find at services.msc

    I didn't change the anything in the bios.

    do you have any other idea ?

    "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > ATI2DVAG is the file used by the SmartGART feature in ATI's drivers to
    > detect the system's AGP capability.
    >
    > Go to Start -> Run and type
    >
    > services.msc
    >
    > Locate the item called ATISmart or something, open its properties, and
    > toggle between "automatic" and "disabled".
    >
    > Did you recently f--- with AGP settings in BIOS? :-)

    > "hellsurfy" <hellsurfy@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> on my Sony-vaio-laptop I encounter severe problems with the
    > ati2dvag-driver.
    >> The Computer hangs and a bluescreen appears with a message that says
    >> something about the ati2dvag-driver who is presently in an infinite loop.
    >>
    >> The only thing to get my computer to run is to switch the "processor to
    > AGP"
    >> connection to an "PCI to PCI bridge".
    >>
    >> But here I loose all the advantages and speed of the graphics card.
    >> Its mobility ati9700 and the laptop is a Sony vgn-s2xp with 1Gig Mem.
    >>
    >> I searched all discussion forums but noone could really help.
    >> Sony does not provide a new graphicsdriver (I called the techsupport but
    >> they couldnt help)
    >>
    >> Has anyone a clue ?

    Disable "VPU Recover" in the ATi control panels.

    If that doesn't work:

    Uninstall SmartGART using the uninstaller utility, it's the second one in
    the page:

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

    If your BIOS gives you the option, turn off Fast Writes and Sideband
    Addressing, and set AGP speed to 4x (not 8x).

    If nothing else works, there exist newer Catalyst packages with the ini file
    edited so it can install on laptops. You'll have to look for them on the web
    (not hard to find). Make a system restore point, then install the latest
    Catalyst drivers.

    > thnx for your answer...
    > ati hotkey poller is the only ati-related file I could find at
    services.msc

    > I didn't change the anything in the bios.
    >
    > do you have any other idea ?
    >
    > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > ATI2DVAG is the file used by the SmartGART feature in ATI's drivers to
    > > detect the system's AGP capability.
    > >
    > > Go to Start -> Run and type
    > >
    > > services.msc
    > >
    > > Locate the item called ATISmart or something, open its properties, and
    > > toggle between "automatic" and "disabled".
    > >
    > > Did you recently f--- with AGP settings in BIOS? :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
    > > It can therefore be said that politics is war without
    > > bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
    > >

    > > "hellsurfy" <hellsurfy@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> on my Sony-vaio-laptop I encounter severe problems with the
    > > ati2dvag-driver.
    > >> The Computer hangs and a bluescreen appears with a message that says
    > >> something about the ati2dvag-driver who is presently in an infinite
    loop.

    > >> The only thing to get my computer to run is to switch the "processor to
    > > AGP"
    > >> connection to an "PCI to PCI bridge".
    > >>
    > >> But here I loose all the advantages and speed of the graphics card.
    > >> Its mobility ati9700 and the laptop is a Sony vgn-s2xp with 1Gig Mem.
    > >>
    > >> I searched all discussion forums but noone could really help.
    > >> Sony does not provide a new graphicsdriver (I called the techsupport
    but
    > >> they couldnt help)
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone a clue ?

    Thank you very much for your help and patience...

    Unfortunately I do not have "VPU Recover" in my Ati-Controlpanel.
    When trying to uninstall Smartgart it said, there is no smartgart to
    uninstall.
    My Phoenix-Bios does not have any options about AGPspeed

    and last but not least... the catalystdrivers I found are not for mobile
    computers, so I am not sure if I should give it a try...
    ....but maybe...

    If you have any other idea, I would really appreciate your help.

    THNX
    hellsurfy

    > Thank you very much for your help and patience...
    >
    > Unfortunately I do not have "VPU Recover" in my Ati-Controlpanel.
    > When trying to uninstall Smartgart it said, there is no smartgart to
    > uninstall.
    > My Phoenix-Bios does not have any options about AGPspeed

    Then perhaps the "infinite loop" problem is caused by the lack of
    SmartGART... The only way to install SmartGART is to get it along with new
    drivers, see below.

    > and last but not least... the catalystdrivers I found are not for mobile
    > computers, so I am not sure if I should give it a try...

    You are not looking in the right places. ATi's web site will not have them.
    Make a restore point in XP, then install the Omega drivers here:

    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

    Hi First of One,

    here is what I did: I made a restore point. Then I uninstalled the
    atidrivers with drivercleaner.
    Thereafter I installed the newest omega rad_w2kxp_omega_2597a.exe.
    After the reboot it looked good.
    I checked via directx9 that the agp was working and it did !!!
    Then I started unreal-tournament2004. with starting the game, the laptop
    crashed...
    Thereafter several reboots where unsuccsessful.
    I restored the system with the Microsoftrestorepoint funktion.
    And now I'm where I started before...

    Are there any other drivers I can try ?
    THNX
    hellsurfy

    > "hellsurfy" <hellsurfy@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >> Thank you very much for your help and patience...
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I do not have "VPU Recover" in my Ati-Controlpanel.
    >> When trying to uninstall Smartgart it said, there is no smartgart to
    >> uninstall.
    >> My Phoenix-Bios does not have any options about AGPspeed
    >
    > Then perhaps the "infinite loop" problem is caused by the lack of
    > SmartGART... The only way to install SmartGART is to get it along with new
    > drivers, see below.
    >
    >> and last but not least... the catalystdrivers I found are not for mobile
    >> computers, so I am not sure if I should give it a try...
    >
    > You are not looking in the right places. ATi's web site will not have
    > them.
    > Make a restore point in XP, then install the Omega drivers here:
    >
    > http://www.omegadrivers.net/

    UT2004 (and some other games) does a hardware detection the very first time
    you run it. Thereafter, if you make "significant" changes to hardware or
    settings, you need the game to redetect your hardware configuration.

    Don't quote me on this, but if you delete UT2004.INI and USER.INI from the
    UT2004/System directory, the game should re-do the device detection the next
    time you start up the game. Just back up the two files first in case it
    doesn't work...

    Do you have other games to try?

    > Hi First of One,
    >
    > here is what I did: I made a restore point. Then I uninstalled the
    > atidrivers with drivercleaner.
    > Thereafter I installed the newest omega rad_w2kxp_omega_2597a.exe.
    > After the reboot it looked good.
    > I checked via directx9 that the agp was working and it did !!!
    > Then I started unreal-tournament2004. with starting the game, the laptop
    > crashed...
    > Thereafter several reboots where unsuccsessful.
    > I restored the system with the Microsoftrestorepoint funktion.
    > And now I'm where I started before...
    >
    > Are there any other drivers I can try ?
    > THNX
    > hellsurfy

    The bluescreen came back !

    The only thing to get that vaio running, is to switch "Intel(r) 82855PM
    Processor to AGP Controller-3341" to: "PCI Standard-PCI-To-PCI-Bridge".

    Do you have any other idea why the AGP does not work with the ati2dvag ?

    THNX again
    Hellsurfy

    > UT2004 (and some other games) does a hardware detection the very first
    > time
    > you run it. Thereafter, if you make "significant" changes to hardware or
    > settings, you need the game to redetect your hardware configuration.
    >
    > Don't quote me on this, but if you delete UT2004.INI and USER.INI from the
    > UT2004/System directory, the game should re-do the device detection the
    > next
    > time you start up the game. Just back up the two files first in case it
    > doesn't work...
    >
    > Do you have other games to try?

    > "hellsurfy" <hellsurfy@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >> Hi First of One,
    >>
    >> here is what I did: I made a restore point. Then I uninstalled the
    >> atidrivers with drivercleaner.
    >> Thereafter I installed the newest omega rad_w2kxp_omega_2597a.exe.
    >> After the reboot it looked good.
    >> I checked via directx9 that the agp was working and it did !!!
    >> Then I started unreal-tournament2004. with starting the game, the laptop
    >> crashed...
    >> Thereafter several reboots where unsuccsessful.
    >> I restored the system with the Microsoftrestorepoint funktion.
    >> And now I'm where I started before...
    >>
    >> Are there any other drivers I can try ?
    >> THNX
    >> hellsurfy

    :x - No solution i'm afraid, but same problem with Fujitsu Siemens
    Amilo D 1845 (ATI mobility 9700). Now on second computer but same
    problem.

    The fujitsu-siemens has a very limited set of BIOS options which does
    not help.

    I will continue to try suggestions here and elsewhere to see if we can
    get a fix.

Radeon Sony Blue Screen Graphics