question about burning to DVD

Not entirely related to an ATI, but that's what I'm using to capture
the video:

I'm new to all of this, so please forgive my ignorance, but I want to
learn! I used ATI TV (I have an AIW 9600) to capture video from my old
camcorder using RCA cables, and recorded the data as mpeg. It was a 2
hour cassette, and the final file was a little over 6GB (too large to
fit on a DVD). I tried to then open this file in Nerovision express to
edit and save to a DVD, but it wouldn't open it (no error, it just
failed for whatever reason).

I'm not sure how to proceed. I need someone to explain what the best
settings are to do this in either ATI TV or nerovision express to
record the video and then transfer to DVD. What resolution do I want
to select to get a good quality picture? (what's a normal DVD?) I
thought mpeg as the file format would be best to save from having to
'recode' from avi or another format?

Any help is appreciated.

SL

www.doom9.net is a great place to find just about every single kind of
conversion from any type of file to any type of file. I certainly think you
may want to get the program called Gspot. Its freeware and it tells you
what type of file you have and what its made up of. You should have no
problems shrinking an Mpeg 2? (guessing) to a 4.7 gig DVD. There should be
several ways to attack your problem. Some are simple and others not. Its
just a matter of preference to what software you like.

good luck,
sL

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> www.doom9.net is a great place to find just about every single kind of
> conversion from any type of file to any type of file. I certainly think
> you may want to get the program called Gspot. Its freeware and it tells
> you what type of file you have and what its made up of. You should have
> no problems shrinking an Mpeg 2? (guessing) to a 4.7 gig DVD. There
> should be several ways to attack your problem. Some are simple and others
> not. Its just a matter of preference to what software you like.
>
> good luck,
> sL
> "Wayne" <waynelewis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not entirely related to an ATI, but that's what I'm using to capture
>> the video:
>>
>> I'm new to all of this, so please forgive my ignorance, but I want to
>> learn! I used ATI TV (I have an AIW 9600) to capture video from my old
>> camcorder using RCA cables, and recorded the data as mpeg. It was a 2
>> hour cassette, and the final file was a little over 6GB (too large to
>> fit on a DVD). I tried to then open this file in Nerovision express to
>> edit and save to a DVD, but it wouldn't open it (no error, it just
>> failed for whatever reason).
>>
>> I'm not sure how to proceed. I need someone to explain what the best
>> settings are to do this in either ATI TV or nerovision express to
>> record the video and then transfer to DVD. What resolution do I want
>> to select to get a good quality picture? (what's a normal DVD?) I
>> thought mpeg as the file format would be best to save from having to
>> 'recode' from avi or another format?
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.

Go here http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/atimpeg/atimpeg.htm
Found it very useful.