Weird problems with Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I am running Windows XP sp2. My new Radeon at first seem to work nicely.
Windows' 2D performance is great, video playback excellent. Problems start
whenever I try to run 3D content. Any 3D content. For example, if I try to
run Windows' built-in OpenGL screen savers, system hangs for 2-3 minutes,
than start displaying the flourishin boxes at an intriguing 1 frame per 2-3
secs. 3DMarks05 reports that my card has 0 B of onboard video memory and 0 B
of texture memory. I got 3DMarks scores around ~2300.

Stranger still, if I try to run Myst IV, I am being warned the program may
not work properly because I only have 16 MB of video memory. (but the game
does play very well afterwards). Myst III will not start at all and warn me
that "your hardware do not support the software renderer in the resolution
and color that this program requires" (what more do I need?!?) and just
shots down.

Now I am extremely puzzled, I have installed and uninstalled just about
every possible drivers, of just about evry version and stepping. I have
tried to install the nForce and Catalyst drivers in sequence. Nothing
changes. Only thing I have not tried is a clean install of Windows, but I
hate to do this.

Anyone has suggestions?

G Couture

My system:

Athlon MP2800+
Asus A87N8X-E Deluxe with BIOS rev. 1013
Mushkin PC3200 v2 (2x 512 MB)
Enermax EG465P-VE PSU (421W)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB AGP
Western Digital 40 GB 7200 rpm drive
Creative SoundBlaster 24-bit Live!
High-Speed combo USB 2.0/Firewire PCI card
Antec 6xx series case
Plenty of fans

jlc

"G Couture" <guillaume.couture@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP sp2. My new Radeon at first seem to work nicely.
>Windows' 2D performance is great, video playback excellent. Problems start
>whenever I try to run 3D content. Any 3D content. For example, if I try to
>run Windows' built-in OpenGL screen savers, system hangs for 2-3 minutes,
>than start displaying the flourishin boxes at an intriguing 1 frame per 2-3
>secs. 3DMarks05 reports that my card has 0 B of onboard video memory and 0
>B of texture memory. I got 3DMarks scores around ~2300.
>
> Stranger still, if I try to run Myst IV, I am being warned the program may
> not work properly because I only have 16 MB of video memory. (but the game
> does play very well afterwards). Myst III will not start at all and warn
> me that "your hardware do not support the software renderer in the
> resolution and color that this program requires" (what more do I need?!?)
> and just shots down.
>
> Now I am extremely puzzled, I have installed and uninstalled just about
> every possible drivers, of just about evry version and stepping. I have
> tried to install the nForce and Catalyst drivers in sequence. Nothing
> changes. Only thing I have not tried is a clean install of Windows, but I
> hate to do this.
>
> Anyone has suggestions?

What card did you have before you installed the 9800Pro? Did you make sure
to remove all trace of the old cards drivers? This could be the trouble
right there.
But it might be a good idea to do the following. Go the MS site and get the
latest version of Direct X. Then go to ATI's web site and download the
newest drivers which are version 4.12. Make sure you get the package that
does not have the new Control Center. Links to both versions are right on
ATI's main page. Then remove your ATI card drivers through Add/Remove
Programs found in the control panel. Reboot. Windows will find your 9800Pro
and up will come the install wizard. Cancel the wizard. Now install the new
ATI drivers. Reboot. After you get windows going go to Run and type
"dxdiag.exe" Once the program starts go to the "Display" tab. You'll see
your cards info there as well as the tests and settings to check to make
sure everything is turned on and working right.
If after all this your card is still not working right, you might have a
bad card. Good Luck JLC

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Buddy I got one suggestion for you is to backup your data and do a clean
install regardless if you hate or like it..

Cheers