master valve said: STOP PLAYING HL2 NOW!

Last response: in Video Games
January 30, 2005 5:06:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:

> Yes. Been going on for a few hours. Some can, some can't. No idea
> what is causing it.

oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?

and no one has idea of what is causing it? oh what a shame... you valve
gamers being so knowledge its a such a disgrace what valve is doing to
you poor souls left all alone without hl2 to play with

listen to this all you steam lovers!!!!
this is the proof of what i've been telling all along!!!

you only play hl2 when MASTER VALVE lets you!!!
at this time the MASTER doesn't want to be disturbed, its resting, so
go out and do some walk in the park cause the time is for NO HL2!!!
all you loyal valve SERVANTS will do what you're told!!!

i now feel i'm having my revenge

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 30, 2005 5:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

You know, this thing happens with public servers once in a while. I
remember when Sierra's Nascar servers lost track of all user histories
for a month! We got over it, and we still race all the time.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:18:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> i now feel i'm having my revenge
>
> --

No, you're having another "attack".

Just out of curiosity, what games, if any, have you played ? You have never
posted about anything else apart from the Steam/Valve/HL-2.
Have you bought Chronicles of Riddick yet ? Or downloaded it ?

Im starting to think that you are actually a pissed of warez kiddie with a
grudge against any anti-piracy measures.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?

They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.
January 30, 2005 6:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

It is playable at any time if you're not a knuckle-head. You only need to
have an off-line blob file saved on your hard drive. If you can't access
steam you simply start steam with the off-line blob file. It's not rocket
science for anybody with common sense.

DaveL

"David Seiver" <Nonya@bizniss.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>
>>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>
> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:02:07 PM

David Seiver wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>

>>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>

> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.

Just MP or what?
January 30, 2005 8:02:08 PM

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> David Seiver wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
>> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>>

>>>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>>>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>>

>> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
>> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.
>>

> Just MP or what?

No, Walter, it was impossible to play single player, multiplayer, or
anything normally accessed via Steam.
January 30, 2005 8:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

you need steam to play a single player game ?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:02:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> you need steam to play a single player game ?

ffs.
That's some rock you must have been under.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:02:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> David Seiver wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
>> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>>

>>>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>>>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>>

>> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
>> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.
>>

> Just MP or what?

As if that's an excuse.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Why don't you and Moore join forces and write a 'documentary' about Valve
and Steam.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:37:30 PM

Schrodinger wrote:

> No, Walter, it was impossible to play single player, multiplayer, or
> anything normally accessed via Steam.

Impossible to play single player? It works fine all the time here. I just
never let Steam connect.

--
Paul
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chuck" wrote

> you need steam to play a single player game ?

You need the file content management system (in short Steam) to be running
in order to start any games from Valve which as based on the source engine

Oh am I glad that my hybernate functionality in XP is working so good, uhh
yeahh

- Peter
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:42:11 PM

David Seiver wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>

>>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
>>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>

> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.

Hell I just saw Alone in the Dark...Shouldn't I be able to see a good
movie "out of the box?"
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:44:54 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:38:23 -0000, "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com>
wrote:

>> you need steam to play a single player game ?
>>

>ffs.
>That's some rock you must have been under.

lol! Thanks for the chuckle. :-)

Erik
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:55:43 PM

Chuck wrote:
> you need steam to play a single player game ?

steam or the steam servers? steam lets you play offline too. I missed
the OP. Whats the issue here?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:03:18 PM

SpammersDie wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>David Seiver wrote:

>>>They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
>>>which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.
>>>

>>Just MP or what?
>

> As if that's an excuse.

yeah, cos MP servers never crash eh?

--
Walter Mitty
-

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

>>> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
>>> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.

Um... Offline mode works perfectly fine on my machine... Just closed teh
Steam client, unplugged my PC from my router, restarted the Steam client in
Offline mode and played HL2 for an hour. Way I see it, the game should be
playable even if the Steam servers are down (client had no internet access
the whole time I was playing), so I'd love to know what the original poster
was smoking.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:48:50 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:18:11 -0000, "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com>
wrote:

>Im starting to think that you are actually a pissed of warez kiddie with a
>grudge against any anti-piracy measures.

Starting ?
What took so long?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:49:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> David Seiver wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:06:41 +0000, difool
> > <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> >

> >>oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
> >>so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
> >

> > They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
> > which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.
> >

> Just MP or what?

Here's a link to Steam Forum where some additional info has been posted.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=...
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:44:11 AM

Schrodinger wrote:
> No, Walter, it was impossible to play single player, multiplayer, or
> anything normally accessed via Steam.

Single-player works fine, you muppet. Just coz some server's gone
belly-up on the other side of the world doesn't mean my PC will crash
in sympathy.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:23:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:09:04 -0500, "Paul Fedorenko"
<pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote:

>Um... Offline mode works perfectly fine on my machine... Just closed teh
>Steam client, unplugged my PC from my router, restarted the Steam client in
>Offline mode and played HL2 for an hour.

Don't you thin it's a little strange or unusual to have to unplug your
PC from the Internet to play offline ? Why doesn't Valve just add an
option not to connect ? Why ?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:52:53 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, David Seiver wrote:

> They are deprived of using something which they have paid for, and
> which should be available and able to be playable 100% of the time.

off course!!!! i'm 100% with you!
it unbelievable what's happening! and i'm just trying to help!
i've been saying all along, STEAM IS BAD! STEAM IS WRONG!
please don't accept STEAM!!!!! DON'T!!!!!
this is the proof how damaging STEAM IS!
they have been deprived for about 14 hours of a game you payed for!
so please now tell VALVE ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND STOP IT!!!
VALVE TAKE STEAM AWAY FROM HL2 RIGHT NOW!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 1:53:04 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, "Chuck" wrote:

> you need steam to play a single player game ?

and the answer is YES
isn't it the most unbelievable thing ever to happen in pc games?
i also didn't want to believe it and only when it came out in
the 13th of november did i have the proof about the insanely
impossible happening
hl2 single-player games requires steam a internet spy/monitor to
install and play
after this what should we do?
laugh out loud about how bizarre the situation is, or cry desperately
about how low pc games have reached

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 1:53:10 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> Here's a link to Steam Forum where some additional info has been posted.

you post the link but remain very quiet... right?
you are like those brainwashed valve gamers who can only say "i forgive
valve, for valve anything"
so depressing reading that forum... only seeing gamers telling they don't
mind cause its valve
completely disgusting
its really scary reading it

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 3:25:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" wrote
> "Chuck" wrote:

>> you need steam to play a single player game ?

> and the answer is YES

Or more accurately - NO.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:25:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:25:04 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"difool" wrote
>> "Chuck" wrote:
>
>>> you need steam to play a single player game ?
>
>> and the answer is YES
>
>Or more accurately - NO.
That is not accurate.
Unless you take steps to block Steam it will startup every time you
try to play a single player games(Hl2) even though it is not needed.
You can "force" it offline (using a fire wall or manually disabling
your NIC) and then play, but Valve gives you no option to "not
connect" and will try EVERY time you start HL2 to connect to Valve.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:32:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Vince wrote:

> "difool" wrote
> > "Chuck" wrote:
>
> >> you need steam to play a single player game ?
>
> > and the answer is YES
>
> Or more accurately - NO.

The answer is still YES. You need Steam at least once to register, after
that you can switch to offline mode but Steam has to stay on your PC...

January 31, 2005 7:49:53 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Vince wrote:

>>>and the answer is YES
>>
>>Or more accurately - NO.
>

> The answer is still YES. You need Steam at least once to register, after
> that you can switch to offline mode but Steam has to stay on your PC...

You can kill it if its such an issue.
February 1, 2005 12:07:09 AM

"Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message

> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> Um... Offline mode works perfectly fine on my machine... Just closed teh
> Steam client, unplugged my PC from my router, restarted the Steam client
> in Offline mode and played HL2 for an hour. Way I see it, the game should
> be playable even if the Steam servers are down (client had no internet
> access the whole time I was playing), so I'd love to know what the
> original poster was smoking.

As soon as the error occurred with the Steam servers, it was impossible to
play without connecting again. You could not start in offline mode as the
failure to connect had disabled this feature. You really don't know what you
are talking about with this issue. I wish you would check the steampowered
forums.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:07:41 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > Here's a link to Steam Forum where some additional info has been posted.
>
> you post the link but remain very quiet... right?
> you are like those brainwashed valve gamers who can only say "i forgive
> valve, for valve anything"
> so depressing reading that forum... only seeing gamers telling they don't
> mind cause its valve
> completely disgusting
> its really scary reading it

Sorry but I haven't played HL2 in awhile. So I can't say for a fact
what's up with Valve servers. However, this "sounds" like a definite Con
to add to the list of Steam Pros & Cons.

IMHO:

Scary is living in Iraq and wanting to vote.
Scary is seeing your wife collapse at work and being rushed off to the
hospital.
Scary is being on the top floors of the twin towers on 9/11.
Scary is being a fireman on 9/11 and asked to enter the towers.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:30:17 AM

> As soon as the error occurred with the Steam servers, it was impossible to
> play without connecting again. You could not start in offline mode as the
> failure to connect had disabled this feature. You really don't know what
> you are talking about with this issue. I wish you would check the
> steampowered forums.

Huh? I don't bother with forums. They're a waste of time. Plus, I always
play Half-Life 2 in offline mode (I have my firewall set up to block the
steam executable and associated files) unless I want to play multiplayer or
check for updates, and was playing the game with no problems whatsoever
almost every day for the past month. So please don't tell me I don't know
what I'm talking about. The "problem" had absolutely no effect on me
whatsoever.

Me thinks you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about, otherwise
you would've found a way around the issue.

So please check all your facts before making blanket statements.

Have a nice day.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:33:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> failure to connect had disabled this feature. You really don't know what
> you are talking about with this issue. I wish you would check the
> steampowered forums.

Oh... and unplugging your ethernet connection (as I did before making my
first post), as should be fairly obvious to anyone with even the most
rudimentary understanding of PC networking, has roughly the same effect as
having a firewall block certain programs from accessing external resources.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:48:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I must admit I was getting a little annoyed about the downtime but
mainly because I had a cs:source clan match coming up later that night.
Luckily however it was all fixed in time and we won our match. :)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:25:35 AM

OldDog wrote:

> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>>

>>>Here's a link to Steam Forum where some additional info has been posted.
>>
>>you post the link but remain very quiet... right?
>>you are like those brainwashed valve gamers who can only say "i forgive
>>valve, for valve anything"
>>so depressing reading that forum... only seeing gamers telling they don't
>>mind cause its valve
>>completely disgusting
>>its really scary reading it
>>
>>--
>

> Oh, I almost forgot.
>
> Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV shows.
> Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect 24/7 content.

Did you know the T1 went down at work...We pay them and this happens!!!???
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:00:42 AM

difool wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:
>

>>Yes. Been going on for a few hours. Some can, some can't. No idea
>>what is causing it.
>

> oh god! what a tragedy! a few hours without hl2!
> so tell us are you in lots of pain being deprived of your precious hl2?
>
> and no one has idea of what is causing it? oh what a shame... you valve
> gamers being so knowledge its a such a disgrace what valve is doing to
> you poor souls left all alone without hl2 to play with
>
> listen to this all you steam lovers!!!!
> this is the proof of what i've been telling all along!!!
>
> you only play hl2 when MASTER VALVE lets you!!!
> at this time the MASTER doesn't want to be disturbed, its resting, so
> go out and do some walk in the park cause the time is for NO HL2!!!
> all you loyal valve SERVANTS will do what you're told!!!
>
> i now feel i'm having my revenge
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
The feed-pipes burst below --
You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
You can hear the twisted runners jam."
And he answered, "Turn and go!"

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:52:00 AM

difool wrote:
> i'm always dead serious when it comes to steam
> if you want to be humorous and make fun of it don't count on me
Two words:
ugly
units
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:55:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> riku wrote:
> >
> > Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is
comparable
> > to having to connect to some validation servers online if you
insert a
> > DVD in your DVD player.
> >
> To be honest thats not a very good analogy really, he wasnt able to
watch
> the tv programs that were on at the time, ssure he could have watch a

> different dvd but steam doesn't stop you playing another game
But he couldn't watch that particular DVD, so the analogy does hold.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

that's not scary that TRAGEDY!
i really don't get you... we are talking about steam being a damaging
think to pc games and you then use terrifying examples from real life
steam is bad but its ridiculously bad when you compare with what you
wrote...
please... lets the reasonable
we are talking about games...
lets keep the horrors of life away

why the hell do you think a play pc games??? its to forget the horrors
and tragedy happening in real life!

ps: for the first time i was really bothered by your comparison

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 2:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> Heck! I can get all of this by drinking a six pack.

i'm always dead serious when it comes to steam
if you want to be humorous and make fun of it don't count on me

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 4:12:11 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:40 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>Oh, I almost forgot.
>
>Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV shows.
>Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect 24/7 content.

Did that prevent you from inserting a DVD in your DVD player and watch
it instead on your TV? No.

Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is comparable
to having to connect to some validation servers online if you insert a
DVD in your DVD player.

I don't know why this is still so hard for some of you to understand,
or if you are just playing dumb on purpose.

"Wheee, online games require you to connect to net, so this is why it
is ok Steam single-player games do! It is exactly the same thing! It
really is!"
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:23:29 PM

> > failure to connect had disabled this feature. You really don't know what
> > you are talking about with this issue. I wish you would check the
> > steampowered forums.
> Oh... and unplugging your ethernet connection (as I did before making my
> first post), as should be fairly obvious to anyone with even the most
> rudimentary understanding of PC networking, has roughly the same effect as
> having a firewall block certain programs from accessing external
resources.

Why would you unplug your network connection just to play one single player
game? If that's what you have to do to get Steam to play "offline"... lol...
why exactly do Steam / Valve fanatics defend this?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:47:32 PM

riku wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:40 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh, I almost forgot.
>>
>> Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV
>> shows. Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect
>> 24/7 content.
>
> Did that prevent you from inserting a DVD in your DVD player and watch
> it instead on your TV? No.
>
> Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is comparable
> to having to connect to some validation servers online if you insert a
> DVD in your DVD player.

To be honest thats not a very good analogy really, he wasnt able to watch
the tv programs that were on at the time, ssure he could have watch a
different dvd but steam doesn't stop you playing another game

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

Chadwick wrote:
> Stoned Monkey wrote:
>> riku wrote:
>>>
>>> Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is comparable
>>> to having to connect to some validation servers online if you
>>> insert a DVD in your DVD player.
>>>
>> To be honest thats not a very good analogy really, he wasnt able to
>> watch the tv programs that were on at the time, ssure he could have
>> watch a
>
>> different dvd but steam doesn't stop you playing another game
> But he couldn't watch that particular DVD, so the analogy does hold.

sorry i misread i thought he was saying that he couldnt watch a dvd cause
th cable wasnt working
--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:58:03 PM

riku wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:40 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh, I almost forgot.
>>
>> Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV
>> shows. Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect
>> 24/7 content.
>
> Did that prevent you from inserting a DVD in your DVD player and watch
> it instead on your TV? No.
>
> Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is comparable
> to having to connect to some validation servers online if you insert a
> DVD in your DVD player.
>
> I don't know why this is still so hard for some of you to understand,
> or if you are just playing dumb on purpose.
>
> "Wheee, online games require you to connect to net, so this is why it
> is ok Steam single-player games do! It is exactly the same thing! It
> really is!"

ignore my other post i totally misread what you said you analogy does infact
make sense

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:31:12 AM

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D vadnY5zzcoDg2LcRVn-pw@comcast.com...
> OldDog wrote:
<snip>

> > Oh, I almost forgot.
> >
> > Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV
shows.
> > Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect 24/7
content.

> Did you know the T1 went down at work...We pay them and this happens!!!???

Back when I use to work, the LAN would go down on us every now and then.
That's the time when everyone got up out of their chairs and roamed the
halls. This was when you discovered the new people in your group. ;)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:49:04 AM

"riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:40 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Oh, I almost forgot.
> >
> >Last night my cable TV went out!!!! I couldn't watch any of my TV
shows.
> >Can you believe it? I pay them a monthly fee and I expect 24/7
content.

> Did that prevent you from inserting a DVD in your DVD player and watch
> it instead on your TV? No.
>
> Requiring online validation to play SINGLE-PLAYER game is comparable
> to having to connect to some validation servers online if you insert a
> DVD in your DVD player.
>
> I don't know why this is still so hard for some of you to understand,
> or if you are just playing dumb on purpose.
>
> "Wheee, online games require you to connect to net, so this is why it
> is ok Steam single-player games do! It is exactly the same thing! It
> really is!"

I merely pointed out something similar with the shift from Rabbit ears to
cableTV. While millions of people have shifted from the benefits of Rabbit
ears, there comes a price for it. In another post, I also pointed out that
when I use to work, we were all connected to the LAN. And when it went
down, most of us were useless. Comes with the pros and cons.

So when my cableTV goes out, I can't watch "Desperate Housewifes". And
no, it's not on DVD yet. Plus how do you know that I have a DVD player or
VCR?

While I can't validate the recent glitch with Valve servers, it does sound
like an issue that needs to be address. Now that I think about it, what's
the worse that could happen in the year 2009 when we're all forced to use
Steam to play our pc games? The server goes down for 1min, 1hr, 10hrs,
1day, 1week, 1 month...?

Oh well. That's when we all walk away from our pc and go outside and talk
to our neighbors. Heck! I might have to rethink this whole Steam issue.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:22:17 AM

OldDog wrote:

> So when my cableTV goes out, I can't watch "Desperate Housewifes".
And
> no, it's not on DVD yet. Plus how do you know that I have a DVD
player or
> VCR?

In this analagy, the DVD/Video player is your CD/DVD drive or your
harddrive. In other words, your ability to play single-plyer PC games.
The point is that if cable goes down you can still put a DVD in the
machine and watch the film in the same way that if the internet breaks
you can still play a single-player game on your PC.

Unless that single-player game/DVD film needs to access the outside
world before it will run.

> While I can't validate the recent glitch with Valve servers, it does
sound
> like an issue that needs to be address. Now that I think about it,
what's
> the worse that could happen in the year 2009 when we're all forced to
use
> Steam to play our pc games? The server goes down for 1min, 1hr,
10hrs,
> 1day, 1week, 1 month...?

The issue is that this shouldn't affect the single-player game. And if
off-line mode worked properly it wouldn't. Currently it seems the only
way to play the single-player game without Steam trying to validate
over the web is to to disable or disconnect your connection.

All Valve need to do to correct this is to fix the offline mode so it's
permanent. Some one else posted that in its first release, this was how
Steam worked and it was changed in a patch. If so, then I'm sure it
could be changed back with another patch.

> Oh well. That's when we all walk away from our pc and go outside
and talk
> to our neighbors. Heck! I might have to rethink this whole Steam
issue.

Yeah, there's always a silver lining!
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:35:09 AM

riku wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2005 01:22:17 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Steam SP offline mode is analogous to being able to watch the same
DVD
> movie over and over again which you happen to have in your DVD player
> currently, but not being able to insert a new DVD movie until the
> connection to the Master Server is up again.

Good point.

> In addition to removing the need to validate your game online when
you
> install it or play it for the first time. Maybe giving a choice even,
> those who don't want to have a CD check can validate it online (this
> would remove the CD check), while those who prefer not validating it
> ever, have to put up with the CD checks. I would be fine with an
> option like that.

If they do that, could you copy the CD and post it to me? I don't play
on-line, so I'll be fine. Cheers. Actually, I could make further copies
and sell them on, explaining that it will work so long as you don't
register on-line, just use the CD-check.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:41:27 PM

OldDog wrote:

> Plus how do you know that I have a DVD player or
> VCR?

The same way they *know* ALL GAMERS GOT A BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION.

LOL.
!