Administrator account vs limited account

hi, Im running Windows XP on my laptop and at the moment I have 3 users set
up: user 1 (administrator account), user 2 (limited account),user 3 - guest
(very
limited account). I'm trying to configure my machine so that only the
administrator can have access to the C: drive and the other 2 users' files.
As it is at the moment even though the other 2 users have limited accounts,
they can still access the C: drive and the administrator files (their
accounts being limited only in terms on installing/uninstalling
software/hardware). I know one way of resolving the issue of gaining access
to files would be to password-protect them but what I am really trying to
achieve is two level of users, one with full control of the machine
and the other 2 with no access whatsoever to the C: drive and the other
users's files...
Many thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about administrator account limited account

    This brings to mind the question.......if they have NO access to the C drive
    what would they run??
    XP is usually on the C drive,IE is on the C drive,Outlook Express is on the
    C drive
    Most programs install to the C drive.................do you have another
    drive??
    peterk

    the problem
    "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi, Im running Windows XP on my laptop and at the moment I have 3 users
    > set
    > up: user 1 (administrator account), user 2 (limited account),user 3 -
    > guest
    > (very
    > limited account). I'm trying to configure my machine so that only the
    > administrator can have access to the C: drive and the other 2 users'
    > files.
    > As it is at the moment even though the other 2 users have limited
    > accounts,
    > they can still access the C: drive and the administrator files (their
    > accounts being limited only in terms on installing/uninstalling
    > software/hardware). I know one way of resolving the issue of gaining
    > access
    > to files would be to password-protect them but what I am really trying to
    > achieve is two level of users, one with full control of the machine
    > and the other 2 with no access whatsoever to the C: drive and the other
    > users's files...
    > Many thanks

    No, I dont have any other drive...

    When I said no access I meant moe like them no having access to the 2 other
    users desktops, files, etc ( i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Desktop)
    rather than applications (i.e. C:\Program Files). Basically if I could even
    just passowrd-protect specific folders, it would be good (can't password
    protect file by file, simply too many of them)

    "peterk" wrote:

    > This brings to mind the question.......if they have NO access to the C drive
    > what would they run??
    > XP is usually on the C drive,IE is on the C drive,Outlook Express is on the
    > C drive
    > Most programs install to the C drive.................do you have another
    > drive??
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi, Im running Windows XP on my laptop and at the moment I have 3 users
    > > set
    > > up: user 1 (administrator account), user 2 (limited account),user 3 -
    > > guest
    > > (very
    > > limited account). I'm trying to configure my machine so that only the
    > > administrator can have access to the C: drive and the other 2 users'
    > > files.
    > > As it is at the moment even though the other 2 users have limited
    > > accounts,
    > > they can still access the C: drive and the administrator files (their
    > > accounts being limited only in terms on installing/uninstalling
    > > software/hardware). I know one way of resolving the issue of gaining
    > > access
    > > to files would be to password-protect them but what I am really trying to
    > > achieve is two level of users, one with full control of the machine
    > > and the other 2 with no access whatsoever to the C: drive and the other
    > > users's files...
    > > Many thanks

Windows XP