9500np (no problem?) to 9700........... after 1.5 yrs., th..

I was lucky, even though I jumped on this bandwagon long after this mod
was known and most of those moddable cards were gone, to get one that
modded w/o problems (other than to get the Rivatuner mod to take).
Still takes 20 tries b4 it works. After 1.5 years, I'm having total
freezes in graphic intensive games, and can't get thru the old 3D Mark
2001 (build 303) w/o a lockup near the end of the benchmark. I had the
latest drivers, older drivers, re-DirectX-ed the puppy, etc. I called
the tech at the video card Co. who said "have you reformated?" Is this
the equivalent of saying "go away don't bother me?" I defrag and
scandisk regularly. Use reg cleaners etc. Could it really be a software
issue? My ram passed a ram test, and the cpu doesn't get too hot
(MBM5). Cheers
Win98se
Epox 8KHA+
512Mb Mushkin HiP ram
Sapphire 9500np-9700 128Mb
80g Maxtor 7200 HD
yada yada
p.s. (I have the WINXP upgrade sitting on my desk to be installed once
I fix this)
I don't wanna be a prick, but please read the post b4 telling me to do
something already mentioned in the post. OK, I'm being a
prick.....Cheers

Though I didn't mention this, I'd tried it to no avail.

I've blown air around all the fans. I've checked to see if the VC fan
is running. I will remove the card soon and have a look. Cheers
p.s. I will run this sys on another HD with a pristine copy of my
system as of 1.5 yrs ago. Then i will kick myself in the head and try
RMA'ng the VC.....

Reformatted about 1.5 yrs ago. Used Rivatuners catalyst mod for win98.
No one else has modded drivers for Win98se anymore. Doubled my fill
rate. I had the latest driver then went back to 4.3's to see if that
would help.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

zZero wrote:
> I was lucky, even though I jumped on this bandwagon long after this mod
> was known and most of those moddable cards were gone, to get one that
> modded w/o problems (other than to get the Rivatuner mod to take).
> Still takes 20 tries b4 it works. After 1.5 years, I'm having total

Try unmodding the card.

zZero wrote:

> I was lucky, even though I jumped on this bandwagon long after this mod
> was known and most of those moddable cards were gone, to get one that
> modded w/o problems (other than to get the Rivatuner mod to take).
> Still takes 20 tries b4 it works. After 1.5 years, I'm having total
> freezes in graphic intensive games, and can't get thru the old 3D Mark
> 2001 (build 303) w/o a lockup near the end of the benchmark. I had the
> latest drivers, older drivers, re-DirectX-ed the puppy, etc. I called
> the tech at the video card Co. who said "have you reformated?" Is this
> the equivalent of saying "go away don't bother me?" I defrag and
> scandisk regularly. Use reg cleaners etc. Could it really be a software
> issue? My ram passed a ram test, and the cpu doesn't get too hot
> (MBM5). Cheers
> Win98se
> Epox 8KHA+
> 512Mb Mushkin HiP ram
> Sapphire 9500np-9700 128Mb
> 80g Maxtor 7200 HD
> yada yada
> p.s. (I have the WINXP upgrade sitting on my desk to be installed once
> I fix this)
> I don't wanna be a prick, but please read the post b4 telling me to do
> something already mentioned in the post. OK, I'm being a
> prick.....Cheers

Even though you say that the CPU doesn't get too warm have you checked
the actual card after one of these crashes? You could be having a
problem with the fan or airflow being blocked.

- Wot [ exactly ] Mod did you do, and ;
- Wot drivers are you using
- Wot age [ without a reformat & reinstall] is the system W98 [Jesus]
you are using.

C'mon how long have you been using your current system ?

zZero wrote:

> I've blown air around all the fans. I've checked to see if the VC fan
> is running. I will remove the card soon and have a look. Cheers
> p.s. I will run this sys on another HD with a pristine copy of my
> system as of 1.5 yrs ago. Then i will kick myself in the head and try
> RMA'ng the VC.....

You might want to actually touch the card to see if it is too hot. My
9700 Pro starts acting up when it gets too hot, usually when running
Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay.

Which war?

p.s. Those are old drivers. I've been running modded 4.10's, and
recently reverted to modded 4.3's. I have 3.8's on a pristine HD that I
will connect and see if that runs any better. Another symptom I noticed
is that my computer won't start or restart now unless I hit the on
button (no beep) then hit the restart button. If I just hit restart
first, I have to do it twice. Whuzup wid dat??
The only game I really play is a combat flt sim that takes place during
that war......just b4 Win98se

On 13 Jan 2005 19:35:34 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>Reformatted about 1.5 yrs ago. Used Rivatuners catalyst mod for win98.
>No one else has modded drivers for Win98se anymore. Doubled my fill

Yes, someone does, Omega, WiZZard etc

>rate. I had the latest driver then went back to 4.3's to see if that
>would help.

After 18 months the fan unit is going to be wearing a quilt.

After 18 months the O/S is going to be so absolutely full of shite.

You may need to do a full clean out [ cleaners exist ] and maybe a
re-install of your O/S to certify that the card is ok and that the O/S
is the problem [ which is what I suspect ], but for now ;

- GoTo : http://www.omegadrivers.net/
- Radeon
- Win9x
- Get the v2.6.37 drivers
- they will mod your card if it's moddable
- the will overwrite most / all of the previous stuff

- after installing, uninstall then re-install your MOBO / GART drivers

Hope this helps, I haven't seen a Win9x system since the war ended.

BoroLad

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> You might want to actually touch the card to see if it is too hot. My
> 9700 Pro starts acting up when it gets too hot, usually when running
> Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay.

Strange,mine never does that.And I have Chronicles of Riddick installed
and have played it a lot lately.The card doesn't get hot and my CPU
temp. is 43C max.(2.8 P4 Northwood).I have yet to see what'll happen
when I put a Zalman 7000Al-Cu and an ATI silencer.
btw.do any of the ATI silencers fit on a BB ATI 9700PRO or do I have to
put a VGA Silencer?

Glitch wrote:
> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>
>> You might want to actually touch the card to see if it is too hot. My
>> 9700 Pro starts acting up when it gets too hot, usually when running
>> Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay.
>

> Strange,mine never does that.And I have Chronicles of Riddick installed
> and have played it a lot lately.The card doesn't get hot and my CPU
> temp. is 43C max.(2.8 P4 Northwood).I have yet to see what'll happen
> when I put a Zalman 7000Al-Cu and an ATI silencer.
> btw.do any of the ATI silencers fit on a BB ATI 9700PRO or do I have to
> put a VGA Silencer?

I'm running a 3.4 Prescott and that gets hot enough. Add in the extra
load from the game and my card can get hot enough to crash. This
usually happens if I have to redo the same scene several times (such as
dealing with Abbot) so something else may be happening. I have to put a
side fan in as the side of the case over the CPU is warm to the touch.
In my case I have a PCI slot fan to get rid of a lot of the heat from
the 9700 Pro. I did this when I bought the card when they first came
out to avoid warranty problems and most of the time it works -- I can
feel the hot air exhausted by it.

possible power supply problem

On 14 Jan 2005 07:02:00 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>p.s. Those are old drivers. I've been running modded 4.10's, and

There appear to be three issues, and the driver version is nothing
whatever to do with any of them..

The first of these issues is the ability to ' softmod ' any ATi card
in any O/S with an installer routine that will overwrite any previous
shite is all that counts.

>recently reverted to modded 4.3's. I have 3.8's on a pristine HD that I
>will connect and see if that runs any better. Another symptom I noticed
>is that my computer won't start or restart now unless I hit the on
>button (no beep) then hit the restart button. If I just hit restart
>first, I have to do it twice. Whuzup wid dat??
>The only game I really play is a combat flt sim that takes place during
>that war......just b4 Win98se

I copied an image of my sys (win98se) that I had saved on a spare HD
circa 1.5 yrs ago to my current problematic HD (after formatting), then
upgraded that with winXP. Card works fine now. Hasn't locked up in the
game yet, and went thru 2 benchmarking tests w/o locking. Only
remaining problem (new as of the last 2 weeks) is the sys needs 2
starts or restarts to power up. Some have suggested the PS? Cheers
p.s. Never would have believed the VC issue was software related.

On 17 Jan 2005 08:29:19 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>I copied an image of my sys (win98se) that I had saved on a spare HD
>circa 1.5 yrs ago to my current problematic HD (after formatting), then
>upgraded that with winXP. Card works fine now. Hasn't locked up in the
>game yet, and went thru 2 benchmarking tests w/o locking. Only
>remaining problem (new as of the last 2 weeks) is the sys needs 2
>starts or restarts to power up. Some have suggested the PS? Cheers

Yeah, that's where I'd start, alternately pull off all but the HDD
etc, see what happens then, if it boot's ok without the other bit's
its the PSU.

Or could be the switch [ on button ] itself, open the case and pull
off the wire , short the two pins with a screwdriver if it boots
faultless it's the on-switch or cable etc.

>p.s. Never would have believed the VC issue was software related.

Good, pleased your sorted M8.