Wireless Adapter and WAP

Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.

Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.

On the other hand Microsoft's router does.

Something wrong there.

TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless adapter

    I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you set
    the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will only do
    WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
    Carol

    "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
    >
    > Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
    >
    > On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
    >
    > Something wrong there.
    >

    > TIA

    Thansk for your reply.

    .. Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.

    The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software does
    not
    support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.

    "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you
    set
    > the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will only
    do
    > WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
    > Carol
    >
    > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
    > >
    > > Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
    > >
    > > On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
    > >
    > > Something wrong there.
    > >

    > > TIA

    Tried it. The adapter seems to support only mixed mode.
    So, when I use 11,G only my computer can connect to
    11.b available connections, but to mine

    My original message did not state that there was something
    wrong with the router. It mentioned the adapter -
    which is Linksy's - not Microsoft's which is no longer
    available at the major retail outlets. But, from what
    I have read elsewhere, it does not seem to be different
    from Linksys's.

    "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > Thansk for your reply.
    >
    > . Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.
    >
    > The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software
    does
    > not
    > support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.
    >
    > "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > > I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If you
    > set
    > > the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will
    only
    > do
    > > WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
    > > Carol
    > >
    > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > Are there any Wireless G adapters with WAP (WPA) available.
    > > >
    > > > Linksys PCI adapter does not support it, neither does Microsoft's.
    > > >
    > > > On the other hand Microsoft's router does.
    > > >
    > > > Something wrong there.
    > > >

    > > > TIA

    Your post says that Microsoft's wireless G adapter isn't compatible with WAP
    and that is not correct.

    > Tried it. The adapter seems to support only mixed mode.
    > So, when I use 11,G only my computer can connect to
    > 11.b available connections, but to mine
    >
    > My original message did not state that there was something
    > wrong with the router. It mentioned the adapter -
    > which is Linksy's - not Microsoft's which is no longer
    > available at the major retail outlets. But, from what
    > I have read elsewhere, it does not seem to be different
    > from Linksys's.
    >

    > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > > Thansk for your reply.
    > >
    > > . Understandable, since 11b will not work with WAP.
    > >
    > > The message I got from Microsoft Broadband Utility is that the software
    > does
    > > not
    > > support WAP. Quite possibly it does, when set to 11g only.
    > >
    > > "Keppy" <keppy@msn.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > > > I don't know what you mean by the MS router does something wrong. If
    you
    > > set
    > > > the device to G only, it works fine. If you set it to mixed, it will
    > only
    > > do
    > > > WEP because 802.11b is not compatible with WAP
    > > > Carol
    > > >
    > > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    You are all more or less right.

    The Microsoft wireless equipment(base station, adapters) does support WPA

    The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and the Wizards with it will not let
    you set it up because they(the software) doesn't support it(only WEP).

    However, a fully updated Windows XP does support WPA and can be set up by
    using the wireless connections > configure selection(after you install the
    adapter driver). Other versions of Windows are not directly supported in
    this way.

    Hope this helps.

    Dick Kistler

    Thanks, That settles it as far as I am concerned.

    (As far as the « wireless connection - configure option, that is
    no longer available on my computer. Apparently disappeared
    after installation of Microsoft Broadband Network Utility.
    A repair/update after uninstallaing the Broadband Network
    Utility has not fixed it.) I will have to reinstall WinXp some day
    but not before SP2 is available and has been merged with
    the WinXp installation files. That is, unless someone knows
    of another way.)

    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@Remove-hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > You are all more or less right.
    >
    > The Microsoft wireless equipment(base station, adapters) does support WPA
    >
    > The Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and the Wizards with it will not
    let
    > you set it up because they(the software) doesn't support it(only WEP).
    >
    > However, a fully updated Windows XP does support WPA and can be set up by
    > using the wireless connections > configure selection(after you install the
    > adapter driver). Other versions of Windows are not directly supported in
    > this way.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Dick Kistler

Wireless Wireless Access Microsoft Wireless Networking