Dead 9800 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2005 8:39:56 AM

My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
box (Circuit City).

Tonight it's dead.

I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.

What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.

Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?

More about : dead 9800 pro

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:39:53 PM

> My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
> box (Circuit City).
>
> Tonight it's dead.
>
> I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
> put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.
>
> What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
> doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
> with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.

Are you sure that the fan itself hasn't failed? - That could have caused
overheating and damage to the GPU core.

Tony
January 15, 2005 3:14:36 PM

Barry Watzman kirjoitti:
> My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
> box (Circuit City).
>
> Tonight it's dead.
>
> I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
> put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.
>
> What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
> doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
> with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?

Most likely a power spike has fried something on the board, propably in
the power distribution circuitry. Doesn't really matter, since it is
practically unfixable. Get a new one.
Related resources
January 15, 2005 3:14:37 PM

The brat overclocked it too far.....
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:48:41 PM

It was pure stock. Not overclocked at all.

carl wrote:
> The brat overclocked it too far.....

January 16, 2005 12:56:56 AM

"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
> motherboard that died.

He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.
January 16, 2005 12:56:57 AM

Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and go
back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles on
that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That eliminates
them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually, the
person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that and
goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.

If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
option as slightly better.

I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used to
work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of money.
Ever tried their rebates?!

good luck. Its a nice card
SL
"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
>> motherboard that died.
>
> He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
> poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

January 16, 2005 1:13:40 AM

Yeah, I know, he reminded me. I agree, RMA it. A new card should have no
problems whatsoever.

JK

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
>> motherboard that died.
>
> He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
> poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:25:13 AM

I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.

SL wrote:

> Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and go
> back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles on
> that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That eliminates
> them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually, the
> person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that and
> goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
>
> If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
> purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
> and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
> option as slightly better.
>
> I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used to
> work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of money.
> Ever tried their rebates?!
>
> good luck. Its a nice card
> SL
> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>
>>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
>>>motherboard that died.
>>
>>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
>>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

January 16, 2005 1:25:14 AM

You may be right on that considering 60 days has passed. I didnt think that
much time had passed. I would then take the other posters advice and RMA
the card to Ati. Be stern, but not insulting with them. You may get what
you want.

good luck again,
SL
>I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
>purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
>

> SL wrote:
>
>> Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
>> hastles on that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
>> eliminates them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc...
>> Usually, the person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the
>> specifics like that and goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might
>> not even care.
>>
>> If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
>> purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
>> and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
>> option as slightly better.
>>
>> I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
>> to work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
>> money. Ever tried their rebates?!
>>
>> good luck. Its a nice card
>> SL
>> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message

>>>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
>>>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

January 16, 2005 1:25:14 AM

Tell them it was a Christmas gift... Only a few week old then..

Randy

:I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
: purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
:
:
: SL wrote:
:
: > Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
go
: > back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles
on
: > that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
eliminates
: > them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually,
the
: > person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that
and
: > goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
: >
[...]
: >>
: >>>Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
: >>>motherboard that died.
: >>
: >>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
: >>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the
thing.
: >>
: >
: >
: >
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:43:38 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
> box (Circuit City).
>
> Tonight it's dead.
>
> I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card,
> we put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works
> fine.
> What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
> doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured
> that with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?

I had the same thing happend to me before Christmas. I had the unit for
about 8 months though. Just turned the computer on one morning and voila,
nothing except for a bios beep code.

Since you've tested the computer with another card there is nothing else to
do. RMA it.

RT
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:18:28 AM

Since it was a Holiday purchase, they would have exchanged it (or, will
exchange it) until January 31st. [Normally, they would not do this].

However they were out of them; in act every circuit city in the region
is out of them, and the warehouse is out also.

I am pursuing the RMA with ATI, and I don't expect a problem (I've
bought 50 ATI boards in the past few years, and this won't be my first
RMA by any means), it's just that it takes about 3 weeks, and my son
isn't as patient as I am.

What still surprises me is the fan not working. I would have thought
that it just picked up power from the AGP slot or the drive cable, thus
card malfunctions wouldn't impact it. Clearly, that's not the case.

SL wrote:
> You may be right on that considering 60 days has passed. I didnt think that
> much time had passed. I would then take the other posters advice and RMA
> the card to Ati. Be stern, but not insulting with them. You may get what
> you want.
>
> good luck again,
> SL
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
>>purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
>>

>>SL wrote:
>>

>>>Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
>>>hastles on that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
>>>eliminates them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc...
>>>Usually, the person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the
>>>specifics like that and goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might
>>>not even care.
>>>
>>>If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
>>>purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
>>>and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
>>>option as slightly better.
>>>
>>>I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
>>>to work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
>>>money. Ever tried their rebates?!
>>>
>>>good luck. Its a nice card
>>>SL
>>>"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:18:47 AM

It WAS a holiday gift.

Randy wrote:

> Tell them it was a Christmas gift... Only a few week old then..
>
> Randy
>
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> :I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
> : purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
> :
> :
> : SL wrote:
> :
> : > Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
> go
> : > back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles
> on
> : > that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
> eliminates
> : > them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually,
> the
> : > person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that
> and
> : > goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
> : >
> : > If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
> : > purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same
> amount
> : > and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
> : > option as slightly better.
> : >
> : > I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
> : > work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
> money.
> : > Ever tried their rebates?!
> : >
> : > good luck. Its a nice card
> : > SL
> : > "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
> : > news:IkgGd.29152$06.13355@clgrps12...
> : >
> : >>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
> : >>news:ALudnaga-o0N73TcRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
> : >>
> : >>>Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
> : >>>motherboard that died.
> : >>
> : >>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
> : >>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the
> thing.
> : >>
> : >
> : >
> : >

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:22:44 AM

Fan Defective upon startup causing the card to not function. Causing heat
problems possibly damaging card .Rendering it useless. Send paperweight or
go to store for a replacement or refund . But thats right you pay
store stock fees. I think you should get a full refund since this card was
sold defective..
"Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>> My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
>> box (Circuit City).
>>
>> Tonight it's dead.
>>
>> I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card,
>> we put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works
>> fine.
>> What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
>> doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured
>> that with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?
>
> I had the same thing happend to me before Christmas. I had the unit for
> about 8 months though. Just turned the computer on one morning and voila,
> nothing except for a bios beep code.
>
> Since you've tested the computer with another card there is nothing else
> to do. RMA it.
>
> RT

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:50:22 AM

"FREEXBOX" <johnsongerrry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Fan Defective upon startup causing the card to not function. Causing heat
> problems possibly damaging card .Rendering it useless. Send paperweight or
> go to store for a replacement or refund . But thats right you pay
> store stock fees.

I wouldn't shop THERE anymore! Stores around here only charge a restocking
fee if you return the item in salable condition (because you didn't like it
or someone gave it to you as a gift and you already have one, etc.) If it's
defective in the warranty period, they refund all your money or replace it
(at their option).

Tom Lake
!