Dead 9800 Pro

My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
box (Circuit City).

Tonight it's dead.

I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.

What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.

Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?
15 answers Last reply
More about dead 9800

    > My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
    > box (Circuit City).
    >
    > Tonight it's dead.
    >
    > I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
    > put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.
    >
    > What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
    > doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
    > with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.

    Are you sure that the fan itself hasn't failed? - That could have caused
    overheating and damage to the GPU core.

    Tony

    Barry Watzman kirjoitti:
    > My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
    > box (Circuit City).
    >
    > Tonight it's dead.
    >
    > I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card, we
    > put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works fine.
    >
    > What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
    > doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured that
    > with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?

    Most likely a power spike has fried something on the board, propably in
    the power distribution circuitry. Doesn't really matter, since it is
    practically unfixable. Get a new one.

    The brat overclocked it too far.....

    It was pure stock. Not overclocked at all.

    "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
    > motherboard that died.

    He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

    Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and go
    back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles on
    that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That eliminates
    them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually, the
    person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that and
    goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.

    If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
    purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
    and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
    option as slightly better.

    I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used to
    work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of money.
    Ever tried their rebates?!

    good luck. Its a nice card
    SL
    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

    > "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >> Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
    >> motherboard that died.
    >
    > He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    > poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

    Yeah, I know, he reminded me. I agree, RMA it. A new card should have no
    problems whatsoever.

    JK

    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

    > "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >> Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
    >> motherboard that died.
    >
    > He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    > poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

    I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
    purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.

    SL wrote:

    > Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and go
    > back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles on
    > that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That eliminates
    > them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually, the
    > person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that and
    > goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
    >
    > If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
    > purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
    > and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
    > option as slightly better.
    >
    > I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used to
    > work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of money.
    > Ever tried their rebates?!
    >
    > good luck. Its a nice card
    > SL
    > "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
    >>>motherboard that died.
    >>
    >>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    >>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

    You may be right on that considering 60 days has passed. I didnt think that
    much time had passed. I would then take the other posters advice and RMA
    the card to Ati. Be stern, but not insulting with them. You may get what
    you want.

    good luck again,
    SL
    >I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
    >purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
    >

    > SL wrote:
    >
    >> Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
    >> hastles on that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
    >> eliminates them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc...
    >> Usually, the person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the
    >> specifics like that and goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might
    >> not even care.
    >>
    >> If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
    >> purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
    >> and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
    >> option as slightly better.
    >>
    >> I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
    >> to work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
    >> money. Ever tried their rebates?!
    >>
    >> good luck. Its a nice card
    >> SL
    >> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message

    >>>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    >>>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the thing.

    Tell them it was a Christmas gift... Only a few week old then..

    Randy

    :I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
    : purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
    :
    :
    : SL wrote:
    :
    : > Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
    go
    : > back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles
    on
    : > that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
    eliminates
    : > them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually,
    the
    : > person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that
    and
    : > goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
    : >
[...]
    : >>

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
    > box (Circuit City).
    >
    > Tonight it's dead.
    >
    > I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card,
    > we put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works
    > fine.
    > What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
    > doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured
    > that with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?

    I had the same thing happend to me before Christmas. I had the unit for
    about 8 months though. Just turned the computer on one morning and voila,
    nothing except for a bios beep code.

    Since you've tested the computer with another card there is nothing else to
    do. RMA it.

    RT

    Since it was a Holiday purchase, they would have exchanged it (or, will
    exchange it) until January 31st. [Normally, they would not do this].

    However they were out of them; in act every circuit city in the region
    is out of them, and the warehouse is out also.

    I am pursuing the RMA with ATI, and I don't expect a problem (I've
    bought 50 ATI boards in the past few years, and this won't be my first
    RMA by any means), it's just that it takes about 3 weeks, and my son
    isn't as patient as I am.

    What still surprises me is the fan not working. I would have thought
    that it just picked up power from the AGP slot or the drive cable, thus
    card malfunctions wouldn't impact it. Clearly, that's not the case.

    SL wrote:
    > You may be right on that considering 60 days has passed. I didnt think that
    > much time had passed. I would then take the other posters advice and RMA
    > the card to Ati. Be stern, but not insulting with them. You may get what
    > you want.
    >
    > good luck again,
    > SL
    > "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
    >>purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
    >>

    >>SL wrote:
    >>

    >>>Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
    >>>hastles on that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
    >>>eliminates them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc...
    >>>Usually, the person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the
    >>>specifics like that and goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might
    >>>not even care.
    >>>
    >>>If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
    >>>purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same amount
    >>>and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
    >>>option as slightly better.
    >>>
    >>>I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
    >>>to work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
    >>>money. Ever tried their rebates?!
    >>>
    >>>good luck. Its a nice card
    >>>SL
    >>>"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

    It WAS a holiday gift.

    Randy wrote:

    > Tell them it was a Christmas gift... Only a few week old then..
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
    > :I did consider that, but it's been nearly 60 days since the original
    > : purchase, and I doubt if they will take it back.
    > :
    > :
    > : SL wrote:
    > :
    > : > Heck, if its a Circuit City purchase, you simply drop it in the box and
    > go
    > : > back to the store for an exchange/refund. They should offer no hastles
    > on
    > : > that account. I would tell them it never worked period. That
    > eliminates
    > : > them being sceptical of you tampering (overclocking) etc... Usually,
    > the
    > : > person at the counter is not too knowledgable on the specifics like that
    > and
    > : > goes ahead with the exchange. They simply might not even care.
    > : >
    > : > If you take store credit, you could even go for a hopeful "open box"
    > : > purchase of a 9800 pro AIW card. It would most likely be the same
    > amount
    > : > and you get a slightly better card. Thats assuming you consider the tv
    > : > option as slightly better.
    > : >
    > : > I have very little sympathy for CC in being slightly dishonest. I used
    > : > work for their old affiliate years ago (Carmax). They make oodles of
    > money.
    > : > Ever tried their rebates?!
    > : >
    > : > good luck. Its a nice card
    > : > SL
    > : > "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
    > : > news:IkgGd.29152$06.13355@clgrps12...
    > : >
    > : >>"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > : >>news:ALudnaga-o0N73TcRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
    > : >>
    > : >>>Try another video card to see if it works. Just in case it was the
    > : >>>motherboard that died.
    > : >>
    > : >>He did try one. It works fine. Read the original post. Like the second
    > : >>poster said, it's likely a power regulation related issue. RMA the
    > thing.
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Fan Defective upon startup causing the card to not function. Causing heat
    problems possibly damaging card .Rendering it useless. Send paperweight or
    go to store for a replacement or refund . But thats right you pay
    store stock fees. I think you should get a full refund since this card was
    sold defective..
    "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >> My son got a Radeon 9800 Pro for the holidays, ATI built, full retail
    >> box (Circuit City).
    >>
    >> Tonight it's dead.
    >>
    >> I mean it's really dead, the fan doesn't even turn. It IS the card,
    >> we put in a Radeon 9600 (which the 9800 had replaced) and that works
    >> fine.
    >> What could cause it to be so dead, in a live computer, that the fan
    >> doesn't even turn? Yes, it has a disk drive cable, and I measured
    >> that with a voltmeter and both the +5 and +12 volts are present.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any suggestions before I get an RMA?
    >
    > I had the same thing happend to me before Christmas. I had the unit for
    > about 8 months though. Just turned the computer on one morning and voila,
    > nothing except for a bios beep code.
    >
    > Since you've tested the computer with another card there is nothing else
    > to do. RMA it.
    >
    > RT

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "FREEXBOX" <johnsongerrry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Fan Defective upon startup causing the card to not function. Causing heat
    > problems possibly damaging card .Rendering it useless. Send paperweight or
    > go to store for a replacement or refund . But thats right you pay
    > store stock fees.

    I wouldn't shop THERE anymore! Stores around here only charge a restocking
    fee if you return the item in salable condition (because you didn't like it
    or someone gave it to you as a gift and you already have one, etc.) If it's
    defective in the warranty period, they refund all your money or replace it
    (at their option).

    Tom Lake

Radeon ATI Graphics