Product Keys

It seems I cannot load my computer because my son re-loaded Windows XP and
the product key doesn't work. I've called the service, but it's been saying
it's unavailable for the past 6 hours. I'd really appreciate a new product
key because ths is really making me upset. Any thing I can do so I can go on
my computer?

No one in this newsgroup can help your with your Product Key
issue. Are you sure you are using the Product Key that came with
the Windows XP installation CD?

Contact Microsoft Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=6794

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

wrighton363 wrote:
> It seems I cannot load my computer because my son re-loaded Windows XP and
> the product key doesn't work. I've called the service, but it's been saying
> it's unavailable for the past 6 hours. I'd really appreciate a new product
> key because ths is really making me upset. Any thing I can do so I can go on
> my computer?

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: