HDTV capture cards, anybody use one?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 15, 2005 8:52:11 PM

I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:

9800 Pro
3 gig AMD
1 gig Ram
80 gig HD
Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a

I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or miss
and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

thanks all,
SL

More about : hdtv capture cards

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:44:50 PM

SL wrote:

> I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
> to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
>
> 9800 Pro
> 3 gig AMD
> 1 gig Ram
> 80 gig HD
> Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
> 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
>

> I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or
> miss and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

As far as the picture quality goes HD is HD. But the HDTV Wonder doesn't
have a good reputation, and for cable there are the additional issues of
QAM decoding and encrypted channels. Ideally, find someone who uses
Adelphia and has an HD tuner board and see how it's working out for him.
You might be able to find some advice at <http://www.avsforum.com&gt;.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <jZ6dnQ2fcYQ-A3TcRVn-pg@adelphia.com>, pillott@yahoo.com
says...
> I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
> to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
>
> 9800 Pro
> 3 gig AMD
> 1 gig Ram
> 80 gig HD
> Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
> 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
>

> I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or miss
> and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

PCMagazine or PCWorld reviewed a few tuner cards this month. HDTV
cards were a mini-review. They did mention that the ATI card has
separate programs for digital and analog viewing, and you cannot run
both at the same time. The other HDTV tuner they reviewed kept crashing
it's software.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
January 17, 2005 1:43:15 AM

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
> to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
>
> 9800 Pro
> 3 gig AMD
> 1 gig Ram
> 80 gig HD
> Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
> 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
>

> I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or
miss
> and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.
>
> thanks all,
> SL

Great picture. Software has been a PIA but working ok now. Main benefit is
HDTV/SDTV PVR for <$200. Forget the cable for HDTV it's OTA only. Antenna is
ok if your not to far or too close. I'm getting most stations at 40miles by
adding preamp. If too close multipath may be a problem. I'm reasonably happy
with it for the money.
HTH YMMV
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:22:23 AM

I am using the DVICO Fusion-HDTV3-T (http://www.dvico.com) to watch and
record cable HDTV and OTA (over the air) HDTV. I can receive all
Comcast unencrypted cable channels and I can receive their local HDTV
channels. This card, like most others, stops at channel 125 which makes
all comcast channels above that out of range. For some reason the local
HDTV channels can be viewed with the Fusion HDTV3 T because Comcast
delivers them as channel 75.1, 75.2 & 115.1 when viewing with the card,
but when watching through a cable box on a regular TV the local HDTV
channels are 232, 233 & 234. This card supports many versions of QAM
also.
!