HDTV capture cards, anybody use one?

I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:

9800 Pro
3 gig AMD
1 gig Ram
80 gig HD
Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a

I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or miss
and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

thanks all,
SL
4 answers Last reply
More about hdtv capture cards

    SL wrote:

    > I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
    > to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro
    > 3 gig AMD
    > 1 gig Ram
    > 80 gig HD
    > Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
    > 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
    >

    > I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or
    > miss and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

    As far as the picture quality goes HD is HD. But the HDTV Wonder doesn't
    have a good reputation, and for cable there are the additional issues of
    QAM decoding and encrypted channels. Ideally, find someone who uses
    Adelphia and has an HD tuner board and see how it's working out for him.
    You might be able to find some advice at <http://www.avsforum.com>.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    In article <jZ6dnQ2fcYQ-A3TcRVn-pg@adelphia.com>, pillott@yahoo.com
    says...
    > I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
    > to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro
    > 3 gig AMD
    > 1 gig Ram
    > 80 gig HD
    > Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
    > 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
    >

    > I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or miss
    > and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.

    PCMagazine or PCWorld reviewed a few tuner cards this month. HDTV
    cards were a mini-review. They did mention that the ATI card has
    separate programs for digital and analog viewing, and you cannot run
    both at the same time. The other HDTV tuner they reviewed kept crashing
    it's software.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I see Ati has the above cards available. Are they all they are cracked up
    > to be? What benefit could I use it for with my specs:
    >
    > 9800 Pro
    > 3 gig AMD
    > 1 gig Ram
    > 80 gig HD
    > Adelphia cable (HDTV is available)
    > 20in. monitor with 5 inputs (YGB+H/V) model :HPA40333a
    >

    > I ask as the quality and reliability of the TV Wonder series is hit or
    miss
    > and the quality was never quite 4 out of 5 star quality.
    >
    > thanks all,
    > SL

    Great picture. Software has been a PIA but working ok now. Main benefit is
    HDTV/SDTV PVR for <$200. Forget the cable for HDTV it's OTA only. Antenna is
    ok if your not to far or too close. I'm getting most stations at 40miles by
    adding preamp. If too close multipath may be a problem. I'm reasonably happy
    with it for the money.
    HTH YMMV

    I am using the DVICO Fusion-HDTV3-T (http://www.dvico.com) to watch and
    record cable HDTV and OTA (over the air) HDTV. I can receive all
    Comcast unencrypted cable channels and I can receive their local HDTV
    channels. This card, like most others, stops at channel 125 which makes
    all comcast channels above that out of range. For some reason the local
    HDTV channels can be viewed with the Fusion HDTV3 T because Comcast
    delivers them as channel 75.1, 75.2 & 115.1 when viewing with the card,
    but when watching through a cable box on a regular TV the local HDTV
    channels are 232, 233 & 234. This card supports many versions of QAM
    also.

Radeon HDTV ATI Graphics