Now it's the video cards turn.

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

I just updated the hardware in my desktop. It went
from a 900mHz Athlon to a 4gig Pentium4.

My ATI All-In-Wonder 128 pro video card that I love and
has served me well for 4 years needs to be upgraded.

What is the best card ATI offers for gaming that still has the
TV inputs. I find that priceless for video capture off my
vidcam. However I want to play latest games.

The 128 pro would not play The Matrix game that I got last year.
I'd like to avoid wasted game purchase money since you can't return
opened software. But...that's another story.

Any of the All In Wonders should do the job. I have the 9800 pro which until
quite recently was pretty close to being the fastest card out there and it
will run games at respectable frame rates for a while yet. The TV in/out
stuff is very useful as you say. If you can raise the cash I am sure
whatever flavour of X800 AIW fits into your motherboard would be even better
of course.

Mick B.

Mick B. wrote:
> Any of the All In Wonders should do the job. I have the 9800 pro which until
> quite recently was pretty close to being the fastest card out there and it
> will run games at respectable frame rates for a while yet. The TV in/out
> stuff is very useful as you say. If you can raise the cash I am sure
> whatever flavour of X800 AIW fits into your motherboard would be even better
> of course.
>
> Mick B.
>
> "pickle" <pickle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>I just updated the hardware in my desktop. It went
>>from a 900mHz Athlon to a 4gig Pentium4.
>>
>>My ATI All-In-Wonder 128 pro video card that I love and
>>has served me well for 4 years needs to be upgraded.
>>
>>What is the best card ATI offers for gaming that still has the
>>TV inputs. I find that priceless for video capture off my
>>vidcam. However I want to play latest games.
>>
>>The 128 pro would not play The Matrix game that I got last year.
>>I'd like to avoid wasted game purchase money since you can't return opened
>>software. But...that's another story.

I was leaning toward the AIW 9800 pro. I think it better then the
AIW 9700. When you say x800 I assume you are talking about the
AIW 9800 pro family? That would fit into my line of thinking and
make me more sure of my decision of the 9800.
Thanks,

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

pickle wrote:
> Mick B. wrote:
>
>> Any of the All In Wonders should do the job. I have the 9800 pro which
>> until quite recently was pretty close to being the fastest card out
>> there and it will run games at respectable frame rates for a while
>> yet. The TV in/out stuff is very useful as you say. If you can raise
>> the cash I am sure whatever flavour of X800 AIW fits into your
>> motherboard would be even better of course.
>>
>> Mick B.
>>
>> "pickle" <pickle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I just updated the hardware in my desktop. It went
>>> from a 900mHz Athlon to a 4gig Pentium4.
>>>
>>> My ATI All-In-Wonder 128 pro video card that I love and
>>> has served me well for 4 years needs to be upgraded.
>>>
>>> What is the best card ATI offers for gaming that still has the
>>> TV inputs. I find that priceless for video capture off my
>>> vidcam. However I want to play latest games.
>>>
>>> The 128 pro would not play The Matrix game that I got last year.
>>> I'd like to avoid wasted game purchase money since you can't return
>>> opened software. But...that's another story.
>>

> I was leaning toward the AIW 9800 pro. I think it better then the
> AIW 9700. When you say x800 I assume you are talking about the
> AIW 9800 pro family? That would fit into my line of thinking and
> make me more sure of my decision of the 9800.
> Thanks,

I also notice that the 9800 has DV out but not the standard
monitor plug. Is there an adapter for this?

pickle wrote:

> pickle wrote:
>> Mick B. wrote:
>>
>>> Any of the All In Wonders should do the job. I have the 9800 pro which
>>> until quite recently was pretty close to being the fastest card out
>>> there and it will run games at respectable frame rates for a while
>>> yet. The TV in/out stuff is very useful as you say. If you can raise
>>> the cash I am sure whatever flavour of X800 AIW fits into your
>>> motherboard would be even better of course.
>>>
>>> Mick B.
>>>
>>> "pickle" <pickle@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> I was leaning toward the AIW 9800 pro. I think it better then the
>> AIW 9700. When you say x800 I assume you are talking about the
>> AIW 9800 pro family? That would fit into my line of thinking and
>> make me more sure of my decision of the 9800.
>> Thanks,
>
> I also notice that the 9800 has DV out but not the standard
> monitor plug. Is there an adapter for this?

First, the x800 is _not_ the 9800, it's a generation newer than the 9800.
Second, the 9700 has been out of production for quite some time--the 9800
adds one new feature and higher clock speed but is essentially the same.
Third, a 9800 AIW will come with the DVI-HD15 adapter that you need to
connect an analog monitor.

If you need TV-in but not the tuner there are numerous X800XT VIVO boards
that should be available later this week. That would currently be the
highest-performance ATI board with video-in. Personally I'd just get a
decent capture board though.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

J. Clarke wrote:

> First, the x800 is _not_ the 9800, it's a generation newer than the 9800.
> Second, the 9700 has been out of production for quite some time--the 9800
> adds one new feature and higher clock speed but is essentially the same.
> Third, a 9800 AIW will come with the DVI-HD15 adapter that you need to
> connect an analog monitor.
>
> If you need TV-in but not the tuner there are numerous X800XT VIVO boards
> that should be available later this week. That would currently be the
> highest-performance ATI board with video-in. Personally I'd just get a
> decent capture board though.

Wow. That's an EXPENSIVE card.
REALLY expensive.
http://www.shopbot.com.au/price/ATI-Sapphire-Radeon-X800XT-VIVO,--256M-DDR3.html

Think I'll go with the AIW 9800 pro unless I find a cheaper Sapphire.

ALL Around card. ALL IN WONDER 9800 PRO .

pickle wrote:

> I was leaning toward the AIW 9800 pro. I think it better then the
> AIW 9700. When you say x800 I assume you are talking about the
> AIW 9800 pro family? That would fit into my line of thinking and
> make me more sure of my decision of the 9800.
> Thanks,

My experience (AIW8500DV / AIW9800Pro) suggests that you should abandon the
idea of getting an integrated card and go for separate video and TV cards.
Cost may be initially slightly more, but when you next come to upgrade your
video card you can keep your old TV card and then the price comes down
(never mind the hassles with driver issues).
--
/mel/