Strange System Process

Been stuck on this for a while.

I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The system
process is plays.exe

When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
C:\WINDOWS\security

Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
something that is potentially harmful.

It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come up
with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured I'd
check here.

Any help?
5 answers Last reply
More about strange system process

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Install Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Serdash" wrote:

    | Been stuck on this for a while.
    |
    | I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The system
    | process is plays.exe
    |
    | When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
    | C:\WINDOWS\security
    |
    | Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
    | something that is potentially harmful.
    |
    | It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come up
    | with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured I'd
    | check here.
    |
    | Any help?

    M'kay maybe I should be more clear.

    I use Ad-Aware, Spyboy Search & Destroy, AVG, Trend Micro House Call and
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware.

    None of them pick it up as anything suspicious.

    Microsoft Anti-Spyware allows me to attempt to block the process from
    running, but when I block it, it just comes through anyways and runs normally.

    I'm not looking for a program to help me figure out of it's harmful. I've
    tried that with multiple ones. Now I'm looking for people to help me, maybe
    someone has had a similar problem.

    So technically you were of no help to me.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
    >
    > Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    >
    > Symantec Security Check
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
    >
    > Install Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Serdash" wrote:
    >
    > | Been stuck on this for a while.
    > |
    > | I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The system
    > | process is plays.exe
    > |
    > | When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
    > | C:\WINDOWS\security
    > |
    > | Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
    > | something that is potentially harmful.
    > |
    > | It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come up
    > | with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured I'd
    > | check here.
    > |
    > | Any help?

    plays.exe is not an XP file.

    A google search turns up nothing, this usually indicates virus or spyware.

    My C:\WINDOWS\security contains no *.exe files at all.

    Right click plays.exe and select Properties. Look at everything.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7F26E9D7-C85C-4D87-AAC3-4BF86A4A9533@microsoft.com,
    Serdash <Serdash@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Been stuck on this for a while.
    >
    > I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The
    > system process is plays.exe
    >
    > When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
    > C:\WINDOWS\security
    >
    > Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
    > something that is potentially harmful.
    >
    > It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come
    > up with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured
    > I'd check here.
    >
    > Any help?

    Yeah. I tried that. It came up with nothing.

    Tried booting into safe mode and getting rid of it, but when I got into safe
    mode it turns out it was still there, chugging away.

    Hopefully I can find a way to get rid of it.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > plays.exe is not an XP file.
    >
    > A google search turns up nothing, this usually indicates virus or spyware.
    >
    > My C:\WINDOWS\security contains no *.exe files at all.
    >
    > Right click plays.exe and select Properties. Look at everything.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:7F26E9D7-C85C-4D87-AAC3-4BF86A4A9533@microsoft.com,
    > Serdash <Serdash@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Been stuck on this for a while.
    > >
    > > I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The
    > > system process is plays.exe
    > >
    > > When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
    > > C:\WINDOWS\security
    > >
    > > Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
    > > something that is potentially harmful.
    > >
    > > It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come
    > > up with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured
    > > I'd check here.
    > >
    > > Any help?

    Serdash,

    plays.exe is probably running.

    Start in Safe Mode

    Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)

    Click the Processes tab

    Locate plays.exe

    Right click plays.exe

    Select End Process

    Answer YES

    Now go to C:\WINDOWS\security
    and try to delete plays.exe

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3D1C1230-53CB-4723-921A-4D1369EE960D@microsoft.com,
    Serdash <Serdash@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Yeah. I tried that. It came up with nothing.
    >
    > Tried booting into safe mode and getting rid of it, but when I got into
    > safe mode it turns out it was still there, chugging away.
    >
    > Hopefully I can find a way to get rid of it.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> plays.exe is not an XP file.
    >>
    >> A google search turns up nothing, this usually indicates virus or
    >> spyware.
    >>
    >> My C:\WINDOWS\security contains no *.exe files at all.
    >>
    >> Right click plays.exe and select Properties. Look at everything.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:7F26E9D7-C85C-4D87-AAC3-4BF86A4A9533@microsoft.com,
    >> Serdash <Serdash@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Been stuck on this for a while.
    >>>
    >>> I've got a system process that I can end, but keeps popping up. The
    >>> system process is plays.exe
    >>>
    >>> When I do a Windows Search the only results that come up are in
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\security
    >>>
    >>> Is this a general system process that I'm just not aware of, or is it
    >>> something that is potentially harmful.
    >>>
    >>> It's been on there for a while and no tech forums I've gone to have come
    >>> up with anything. Nobody I know has this process either. So I figured
    >>> I'd check here.
    >>>
    >>> Any help?

Security Windows Search Microsoft Windows XP