Whch MPEG-2 encoder is being used?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2005 3:54:17 AM

This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is being
used by Windows.

I have ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-wonder card (MMC 9.03) which includes a tuner
that captures video (from cable-tv, in my case). The file format I chose is
MPEG-2 (720x480, NTSC, 8 MB/s, audio 48 KHz, 16 bit stereo). There may be
encoders from other software on the system, like Roxio EZMedia Creator, that
has a DVD authoring component, codecs installed by XPPro, Media Player, etc.

In any case, I used to get excellent MPEG-2 captures, which played well in
all mediaplayers.

Until I installed Adobe Premiere Elements. That must have installed it's
own MPEG encoder, because now I get files captured that pause, look jerky,
are difficult to fast forward through, and not as good visually.

Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?

Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
XP?

Thanks.
--
Aloke
----

More about : whch mpeg encoder

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:29:23 PM

I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it was
there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...

> Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
> Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
> XP?

gspot, found here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture from
that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
tab.

I kinda doubt a codec installed by Adobe is causing your playback problems.
Have you defragged your drive since you installed Premier Elements?
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:27:20 PM

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
news:D WPGd.12882$SK6.2001@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it
>was
> there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...
>
>> Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
>> Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
>> XP?
>
> gspot, found here:
>
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
>
> When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture
> from
> that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
> tab.
>
> I kinda doubt a codec installed by Adobe is causing your playback
> problems.
> Have you defragged your drive since you installed Premier Elements?

Adobe probably installed Mainconcepts encoder and decoder, which is causing
your playback problems.

YF
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:10:33 PM

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
news:D WPGd.12882$SK6.2001@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it
>was
> there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...
>
>> Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
>> Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
>> XP?
>
> gspot, found here:
>
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
>
> When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture
> from
> that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
> tab.

I looked there, but that seems to let you change the codec say from ATI-VCR
to MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 etc. It doesn't let you pick which of the many MPEG-2
compressors I have (ATI, Roxio, Mainconcepts, etc).

I fixed the playback problem by buying (and installing) the WMP_10 plugin
for MPEG-2 playback by Cyberlink (makers of PowerDVD and the one supplied by
ATI).

MS has a utility to list the MPEG-2 codecs and select the default codec used
by WMP.

Overview
The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps you determine if an
MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your
Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with
Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I still don't know who to force ATI to use a particular codec for MPEG-2..
--
Aloke
----