Whch MPEG-2 encoder is being used?

This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is being
used by Windows.

I have ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-wonder card (MMC 9.03) which includes a tuner
that captures video (from cable-tv, in my case). The file format I chose is
MPEG-2 (720x480, NTSC, 8 MB/s, audio 48 KHz, 16 bit stereo). There may be
encoders from other software on the system, like Roxio EZMedia Creator, that
has a DVD authoring component, codecs installed by XPPro, Media Player, etc.

In any case, I used to get excellent MPEG-2 captures, which played well in
all mediaplayers.

Until I installed Adobe Premiere Elements. That must have installed it's
own MPEG encoder, because now I get files captured that pause, look jerky,
are difficult to fast forward through, and not as good visually.

Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?

Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
XP?

Thanks.
--
Aloke
----

    I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it was
    there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...

    > Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
    > Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
    > XP?

    gspot, found here:

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

    When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture from
    that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
    tab.

    I kinda doubt a codec installed by Adobe is causing your playback problems.
    Have you defragged your drive since you installed Premier Elements?

    "Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
    >I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it
    >was
    > there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...
    >
    >> Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
    >> Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
    >> XP?
    >
    > gspot, found here:
    >
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
    >
    > When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture
    > from
    > that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
    > tab.
    >
    > I kinda doubt a codec installed by Adobe is causing your playback
    > problems.
    > Have you defragged your drive since you installed Premier Elements?

    Adobe probably installed Mainconcepts encoder and decoder, which is causing
    your playback problems.

    YF

    "Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
    >I recognize your nym from the cdr ng many years ago, at least I think it
    >was
    > there, so I'll try to help you out. Anyway...
    >
    >> Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
    >> Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
    >> XP?
    >
    > gspot, found here:
    >
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
    >
    > When using MMC, you determine which codec you're using when you capture
    > from
    > that app. You access this info from the TV setup/Personal Video Recorder
    > tab.

    I looked there, but that seems to let you change the codec say from ATI-VCR
    to MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 etc. It doesn't let you pick which of the many MPEG-2
    compressors I have (ATI, Roxio, Mainconcepts, etc).

    I fixed the playback problem by buying (and installing) the WMP_10 plugin
    for MPEG-2 playback by Cyberlink (makers of PowerDVD and the one supplied by
    ATI).

    MS has a utility to list the MPEG-2 codecs and select the default codec used
    by WMP.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=de1491ac-0ab6-4990-943d-627e6ade9fcb&displaylang=en

    Overview
    The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps you determine if an
    MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your
    Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with
    Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition.

    I still don't know who to force ATI to use a particular codec for MPEG-2..
    --
    Aloke
    ----

Radeon MPEG Graphics