digital camera question

Hello all,
I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i purchase a
camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an identical photo at 5
mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there be any difference in picture
quality?
Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized photos?
Kind regards..
3 answers Last reply
More about digital camera question

    "Pammistant2004" <pammistant2004@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i
    purchase a
    > camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an identical photo
    at 5
    > mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there be any difference in
    picture
    > quality?

    Yes, if taken with different cameras. It is about the same as comparing 35mm
    film to medium format film. The medium format is a 2 1/4 inch piece of film
    where 35mm is about 1 1/2 inches the long way.

    > Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized photos?
    > Kind regards..
    First, what you see on your computer screen is only the pixels in the image,
    PPI or DPI has no meaning to the screen.

    If your monitor is set to 1024 X 768 then any image that has more than that
    many pixels will appear larger that the screen. In order to see the whole
    image on screen, some resizing must be done, there are viewers that
    automatically reduce the image to fit the screen. Windows XP has automatic
    resizing built in.

    If you took a picture at 1600 X 1200 pixels with a 5 megapixel camera, you
    would have a 2 megapixel picture that is interpolated from a 5 megapixel
    sensor.

    If you took the same picture with a 2 megapixel camera, then you would have
    a 2 megapixel picture made with a 2 megapixel sensor.

    If the 5 megapixel camera was a very good camera, then the 2 megapixel
    picture taken would look better that the picture taken with the 2 megapixel
    camera.

    There are more sensors in the 5 megapixel camera that there is in a 2
    megapixel camera.

    The more pixels you have in the sensor then the more pixels you have to
    print larger prints.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Pammistant2004 typed:

    > Hello all,
    > I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i
    > purchase a camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an
    > identical photo at 5 mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there
    > be any difference in picture quality?
    > Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized
    > photos? Kind regards..

    Exactly. If you intend to look pics on monitor or print small photos, 2M is
    totally enough. More is just if you wanna make large photos, e.g. A4 or
    bigger.

    ah yes i see now...i`m beginning to understand now.
    Thankyou to all who took the time to reply, it`s really appreciated.

Cameras Photo Mega Peripherals