digital camera question

Hello all,
I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i purchase a
camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an identical photo at 5
mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there be any difference in picture
quality?
Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized photos?
Kind regards..

"Pammistant2004" <pammistant2004@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i
purchase a
> camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an identical photo
at 5
> mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there be any difference in
picture
> quality?

Yes, if taken with different cameras. It is about the same as comparing 35mm
film to medium format film. The medium format is a 2 1/4 inch piece of film
where 35mm is about 1 1/2 inches the long way.

> Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized photos?
> Kind regards..
First, what you see on your computer screen is only the pixels in the image,
PPI or DPI has no meaning to the screen.

If your monitor is set to 1024 X 768 then any image that has more than that
many pixels will appear larger that the screen. In order to see the whole
image on screen, some resizing must be done, there are viewers that
automatically reduce the image to fit the screen. Windows XP has automatic
resizing built in.

If you took a picture at 1600 X 1200 pixels with a 5 megapixel camera, you
would have a 2 megapixel picture that is interpolated from a 5 megapixel
sensor.

If you took the same picture with a 2 megapixel camera, then you would have
a 2 megapixel picture made with a 2 megapixel sensor.

If the 5 megapixel camera was a very good camera, then the 2 megapixel
picture taken would look better that the picture taken with the 2 megapixel
camera.

There are more sensors in the 5 megapixel camera that there is in a 2
megapixel camera.

The more pixels you have in the sensor then the more pixels you have to
print larger prints.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Pammistant2004 typed:

> Hello all,
> I want to get my first digital camera and i`d like to know before i
> purchase a camera is that if i take a photo at 2 mega pixels and an
> identical photo at 5 mega pixels and then view them on PC, will there
> be any difference in picture quality?
> Or does the larger the pixels simply mean i can print larger sized
> photos? Kind regards..

Exactly. If you intend to look pics on monitor or print small photos, 2M is
totally enough. More is just if you wanna make large photos, e.g. A4 or
bigger.

ah yes i see now...i`m beginning to understand now.
Thankyou to all who took the time to reply, it`s really appreciated.