Access to files when two OS are installed on the same PC

Hi all,

I have resently installed two OS on my PC - Window XP and Windows XP 64bit
Edition. I have a question about accessing files, when I am logged into
one of them. The problem is:

Files & Folders, created when I am logged in Windows XP for example are
visible & readable into the Windows XP-64, but I can not delete or modify
them. And the opposite situation is valid too. What I can do so that I can
make changes into the file system regardless which OS I am logged in
currently ?

10x

p.s. I am not an expert into Windows Security

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you 'Share' the folders and allow others to make changes?

"Rossen Tzonev" <rossenbg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have resently installed two OS on my PC - Window XP and Windows XP 64bit
> Edition. I have a question about accessing files, when I am logged into
> one of them. The problem is:
>
> Files & Folders, created when I am logged in Windows XP for example are
> visible & readable into the Windows XP-64, but I can not delete or modify
> them. And the opposite situation is valid too. What I can do so that I can
> make changes into the file system regardless which OS I am logged in
> currently ?
>
> 10x
>
> p.s. I am not an expert into Windows Security
>
> --
> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

Are the two OSes installed on separate partitions or on separate Hard
Drives?

Bobby

"Rossen Tzonev" <rossenbg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have resently installed two OS on my PC - Window XP and Windows XP 64bit
> Edition. I have a question about accessing files, when I am logged into
> one of them. The problem is:
>
> Files & Folders, created when I am logged in Windows XP for example are
> visible & readable into the Windows XP-64, but I can not delete or modify
> them. And the opposite situation is valid too. What I can do so that I can
> make changes into the file system regardless which OS I am logged in
> currently ?
>
> 10x
>
> p.s. I am not an expert into Windows Security
>
> --
> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

Here's a secret on how I do it, since I have XP Pro and Win2k3 installed on
the same PC (different drives). I create the same user on both PC's, both
are in the same group "Power Users" - so basically the system thinks they
are the same user - well to an extent as when you check the file settings in
security, you can see the SID of the other User, but hey no big deal. The
only issue that may arise from this, would be file encryption (EFS), but
since I have no need for EFS, I don't use it, so no issue for me.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Rossen Tzonev" <rossenbg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have resently installed two OS on my PC - Window XP and Windows XP 64bit
> Edition. I have a question about accessing files, when I am logged into
> one of them. The problem is:
>
> Files & Folders, created when I am logged in Windows XP for example are
> visible & readable into the Windows XP-64, but I can not delete or modify
> them. And the opposite situation is valid too. What I can do so that I can
> make changes into the file system regardless which OS I am logged in
> currently ?
>
> 10x
>
> p.s. I am not an expert into Windows Security
>
> --
> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

Here is my case:

- The two OS are on separate drives
- This is my home PC so why I have to "share" anything
- I have created user with the same name into both OS and he is member of
the "Administrator" group

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Also, I am using NTFS.

I have managed to do what I wanted by setting security setting for the
root drive and applying to all child objects:
- ownership - to Administrators group
- Administrators group has full control

Is this the way to solve my problem? Because it seems too complicated to
me.

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria