How to disbale WXP SP2 firewall remotely on a LAN

Hi

does anyone know how to disbale windowx xp sp2 firewall...remotely. i am
using symantec corportae at work, and my job is to check PCs that may be
infected or may not have any antivirus software on it. I have domain admin
righst when i do this search, but with pcs with WXP SP2 firewall installed
and active, i cannot get any feed back from the SAV client.

So what i am trying to do now is to disbale wxp sp2 firewall from my pc, on
any other pc that may hav ethe firewall active. i also use wxp sp2 with
firewall. i have configured my pc to allow SAV checks and notifications, but
i need to do this for about 2000 other hosts, is there any easy way to do
this? or do i still have to locate each machine and configure each ones
firewall.

Would appreciate your useful comments.

Nick
3 answers Last reply
More about disbale firewall remotely

    "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > does anyone know how to disbale windowx xp sp2 firewall...remotely. i am
    > using symantec corportae at work, and my job is to check PCs that may be
    > infected or may not have any antivirus software on it. I have domain admin
    > righst when i do this search, but with pcs with WXP SP2 firewall installed
    > and active, i cannot get any feed back from the SAV client.
    >
    > So what i am trying to do now is to disbale wxp sp2 firewall from my pc,
    > on
    > any other pc that may hav ethe firewall active. i also use wxp sp2 with
    > firewall. i have configured my pc to allow SAV checks and notifications,
    > but
    > i need to do this for about 2000 other hosts, is there any easy way to do
    > this? or do i still have to locate each machine and configure each ones
    > firewall.
    >
    > Would appreciate your useful comments.
    >
    > Nick

    Set up group policy to allow exceptions in the firewall for the local
    subnet, would be my recommendation....but why isn't Norton handling this
    centrally?

    Hi

    Thanks for the quick response. Ok i will try the Group Policy and see if i
    can do it. Will update as i can

    Thanks

    Nick

    Nick wrote:

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >>
    >> Set up group policy to allow exceptions in the firewall for
    >> the local subnet, would be my recommendation....but why isn't
    >> Norton handling this centrally?
    >
    > Thanks for the quick response. Ok i will try the Group Policy
    > and see if ican do it. Will update as i can
    Hi,

    More about Windows Firewall Group Policy settings in WF_XPSP2.doc:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Firewalls Windows XP