How to disbale WXP SP2 firewall remotely on a LAN

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Windows XP
May 31, 2005 8:28:27 PM

Hi

does anyone know how to disbale windowx xp sp2 firewall...remotely. i am
using symantec corportae at work, and my job is to check PCs that may be
infected or may not have any antivirus software on it. I have domain admin
righst when i do this search, but with pcs with WXP SP2 firewall installed
and active, i cannot get any feed back from the SAV client.

So what i am trying to do now is to disbale wxp sp2 firewall from my pc, on
any other pc that may hav ethe firewall active. i also use wxp sp2 with
firewall. i have configured my pc to allow SAV checks and notifications, but
i need to do this for about 2000 other hosts, is there any easy way to do
this? or do i still have to locate each machine and configure each ones
firewall.

Would appreciate your useful comments.

Nick

More about : disbale wxp sp2 firewall remotely lan

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:44:56 AM

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> does anyone know how to disbale windowx xp sp2 firewall...remotely. i am
> using symantec corportae at work, and my job is to check PCs that may be
> infected or may not have any antivirus software on it. I have domain admin
> righst when i do this search, but with pcs with WXP SP2 firewall installed
> and active, i cannot get any feed back from the SAV client.
>
> So what i am trying to do now is to disbale wxp sp2 firewall from my pc,
> on
> any other pc that may hav ethe firewall active. i also use wxp sp2 with
> firewall. i have configured my pc to allow SAV checks and notifications,
> but
> i need to do this for about 2000 other hosts, is there any easy way to do
> this? or do i still have to locate each machine and configure each ones
> firewall.
>
> Would appreciate your useful comments.
>
> Nick

Set up group policy to allow exceptions in the firewall for the local
subnet, would be my recommendation....but why isn't Norton handling this
centrally?
June 1, 2005 4:44:57 AM

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. Ok i will try the Group Policy and see if i
can do it. Will update as i can

Thanks

Nick

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > does anyone know how to disbale windowx xp sp2 firewall...remotely. i am
> > using symantec corportae at work, and my job is to check PCs that may be
> > infected or may not have any antivirus software on it. I have domain admin
> > righst when i do this search, but with pcs with WXP SP2 firewall installed
> > and active, i cannot get any feed back from the SAV client.
> >
> > So what i am trying to do now is to disbale wxp sp2 firewall from my pc,
> > on
> > any other pc that may hav ethe firewall active. i also use wxp sp2 with
> > firewall. i have configured my pc to allow SAV checks and notifications,
> > but
> > i need to do this for about 2000 other hosts, is there any easy way to do
> > this? or do i still have to locate each machine and configure each ones
> > firewall.
> >
> > Would appreciate your useful comments.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Set up group policy to allow exceptions in the firewall for the local
> subnet, would be my recommendation....but why isn't Norton handling this
> centrally?

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:05:29 PM

Nick wrote:

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>>
>> Set up group policy to allow exceptions in the firewall for
>> the local subnet, would be my recommendation....but why isn't
>> Norton handling this centrally?
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Ok i will try the Group Policy
> and see if ican do it. Will update as i can
Hi,

More about Windows Firewall Group Policy settings in WF_XPSP2.doc:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: