ATI Catalyst 5.1 Performance Analysis - Review

The jist of it:

-Bug fixes
-small performance increases (almost negligible) in mark03 and mark05
-small performance increase (almost negligible) in doom3
-appreciable performance increase in HL2.

personally, I'll be upgrading to 5.1 after work tonight. See no reason not
to.

Tony

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
> The jist of it:
>
> -Bug fixes
> -small performance increases (almost negligible) in mark03 and mark05
> -small performance increase (almost negligible) in doom3
> -appreciable performance increase in HL2.
>
> personally, I'll be upgrading to 5.1 after work tonight. See no
> reason not to.
>
> Tony
>
> "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=737

I have had trouble with the new cats 4.12 and 5.01 if I try to watch a
DVD with my AIW 9800 pro, the pc freezes up and the vpu recover kicks
in, when turning vpu recover off i just get a bsod. so back to 4.11 for
me, the only "new" one that doesnt crash my system.

--
Tapioca

If you have nothing to do, then do nothing and enjoy it!

Note the HL2 performance gains disappear under AA/aniso. When the game is
hard fillrate-limited, no driver optimizations will help... then again, at
118 fps no one will notice anyway.

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
> The jist of it:
>
> -Bug fixes
> -small performance increases (almost negligible) in mark03 and mark05
> -small performance increase (almost negligible) in doom3
> -appreciable performance increase in HL2.

For the card used in testing - no word on other cards.

> personally, I'll be upgrading to 5.1 after work tonight. See no
> reason not to.

I'll be upgrading to 5.1 after work tonight, after taking a complete backup
using Drive Image and sacrificing a virgin or two (around here... I might
have to settled for goats).

--
/mel/

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:42:22 -0500, "Tony DiMarzio"
<djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=737

Tony, have you ever seen ATI driver tests for MS Flight Simulator
only?

"777wingbolt" <abc@321> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:42:22 -0500, "Tony DiMarzio"
> <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=737
>
> Tony, have you ever seen ATI driver tests for MS Flight Simulator
> only?

Sorry... can't say I have. And not sure if they exist.

Tony