Did I buy the wrong VGA cooler for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ..

Hello!

According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.

I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
temperatures increase.

Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
4 answers Last reply
More about wrong cooler radeon 9800

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
    > thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
    > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
    > VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
    > However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
    > reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
    > minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
    >
    > I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
    > cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
    > the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
    > temperatures increase.
    >
    > Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    Why dont you look on the arctic cooler site and dont take forum/newsgroup

    Its up to you to ask for opinions and then do the research yourself to
    ensure that the opinions are correct for your situation.

    That said, I like the zalman offerings ZM-80D dual heatpipe cooler,
    tricky install but rock solid performer.

    Are you COMPLETLY sure you installed it perfectly correctly? Does your
    case have adequate fans for flow thru venting, front intake fan and rear
    exhaust fan?
    Take off the side cover for additional cooling.

    You are correct. An Artic Silencer Revision 2 is not compatible with an all
    in wonder. You need a revision 3 Artic Silencer. That one is compatible
    with an All in wonder card.

    CaptBaldo

    Gordon Scott <gordsmail@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
    > > thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
    > > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
    > > VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
    > > However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
    > > reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
    > > minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
    > >
    > > I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
    > > cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
    > > the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
    > > temperatures increase.
    > >
    > > Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)

    > Why dont you look on the arctic cooler site and dont take forum/newsgroup

    I did! It didn't help unless I overlooked it (please post the URL(s)).

    > Its up to you to ask for opinions and then do the research yourself to
    > ensure that the opinions are correct for your situation.

    > That said, I like the zalman offerings ZM-80D dual heatpipe cooler,
    > tricky install but rock solid performer.

    > Are you COMPLETLY sure you installed it perfectly correctly? Does your
    > case have adequate fans for flow thru venting, front intake fan and rear
    > exhaust fan?
    > Take off the side cover for additional cooling.

    I think I fixed it. It seems like ASUS' Auto setting for "Performance Mode"
    in CMOS was causing these crashes. I was able to record 4.5 hours from the
    TV tuner overnight. I will do some more tonight.
    --
    "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    Maybe fully compatible, but I think I fixed the problem. It seems like ASUS
    default Auto setting for "Performance Mode" in CMOS is overclocking. I set it
    to "Normal" and no more crashes from recording (4.5 hours!). I will do more
    testings to be sure. ;)

    CaptBaldo <captbaldo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > You are correct. An Artic Silencer Revision 2 is not compatible with an all
    > in wonder. You need a revision 3 Artic Silencer. That one is compatible
    > with an All in wonder card.

    > CaptBaldo

    > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
    > > thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
    > > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
    > > VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
    > > However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
    > > reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
    > > minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
    > >
    > > I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
    > > cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
    > > the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
    > > temperatures increase.
    > >
    > > Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

Radeon Cooling ATI Graphics