Did I buy the wrong VGA cooler for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2005 4:47:54 AM

Hello!

According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.

I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
temperatures increase.

Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:33:31 AM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
> thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
> VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
> However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
> reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
> minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
>
> I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
> cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
> the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
> temperatures increase.
>
> Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

Why dont you look on the arctic cooler site and dont take forum/newsgroup

Its up to you to ask for opinions and then do the research yourself to
ensure that the opinions are correct for your situation.

That said, I like the zalman offerings ZM-80D dual heatpipe cooler,
tricky install but rock solid performer.

Are you COMPLETLY sure you installed it perfectly correctly? Does your
case have adequate fans for flow thru venting, front intake fan and rear
exhaust fan?
Take off the side cover for additional cooling.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:06:39 PM

You are correct. An Artic Silencer Revision 2 is not compatible with an all
in wonder. You need a revision 3 Artic Silencer. That one is compatible
with an All in wonder card.

CaptBaldo

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
> thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
> VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
> However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
> reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
> minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
>
> I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
> cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
> the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
> temperatures increase.
>
> Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )
January 19, 2005 9:21:44 PM

Gordon Scott <gordsmail@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333462129
> > thread, I was told that I bought the wrong video card cooler for my hot
> > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) video card. I bought an Arctic Cooling
> > VGA Silencer revision 2. It definitely fixed my DOOM 3 dots issue.
> > However, I have a new major problem. I get blue screens, lock ups, and
> > reboots when using TV tuner to record. It can take a few minutes to 15
> > minutes to show the crashes. You can read the details in the above URL.
> >
> > I would like to know if revision 2 is indeed not compatible with AIW
> > cards. Playing games (e.g., DOOM 3), running cpuburn, etc. doesn't show
> > the crashes. I noticed MMC recording does take up CPU and make
> > temperatures increase.
> >
> > Is revision 2 OK or not? Do I need revision 3? Thank you in advance. :)

> Why dont you look on the arctic cooler site and dont take forum/newsgroup

I did! It didn't help unless I overlooked it (please post the URL(s)).

> Its up to you to ask for opinions and then do the research yourself to
> ensure that the opinions are correct for your situation.

> That said, I like the zalman offerings ZM-80D dual heatpipe cooler,
> tricky install but rock solid performer.

> Are you COMPLETLY sure you installed it perfectly correctly? Does your
> case have adequate fans for flow thru venting, front intake fan and rear
> exhaust fan?
> Take off the side cover for additional cooling.

I think I fixed it. It seems like ASUS' Auto setting for "Performance Mode"
in CMOS was causing these crashes. I was able to record 4.5 hours from the
TV tuner overnight. I will do some more tonight.
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:22:57 PM

Maybe fully compatible, but I think I fixed the problem. It seems like ASUS
default Auto setting for "Performance Mode" in CMOS is overclocking. I set it
to "Normal" and no more crashes from recording (4.5 hours!). I will do more
testings to be sure. ;)

!