guest versus limited

in terms of safely giving access to users of a PC. is the guest account
safer than the limited account. (in terms of damage a user could do to files
or set up of PC).

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:5F6EAA01-6F5E-43CD-AC1F-6E7EBF78B227@microsoft.com,
windowuser <windowuser@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> in terms of safely giving access to users of a PC. is the guest
> account safer than the limited account. (in terms of damage a user
> could do to files or set up of PC).

Yes. Guest has fewer rights than a Limited Account.

FMI:

Microsoft Windows XP - Types of user accounts:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

when setting up accounts for users that only need internet access, does it
make sense to set up each user with an account that has the same restrictions
as the guest account. If so, how does one create extra guest type accounts?

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:5F6EAA01-6F5E-43CD-AC1F-6E7EBF78B227@microsoft.com,
> windowuser <windowuser@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > in terms of safely giving access to users of a PC. is the guest
> > account safer than the limited account. (in terms of damage a user
> > could do to files or set up of PC).
>
> Yes. Guest has fewer rights than a Limited Account.
>
> FMI:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP - Types of user accounts:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:EB14A83F-D66B-4C2E-9388-CE7708264247@microsoft.com,
windowuser <windowuser@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> when setting up accounts for users that only need internet access,
> does it make sense to set up each user with an account that has the
> same restrictions as the guest account. If so, how does one create
> extra guest type accounts?

You could make the account. Start > Run > Type control userpasswords2 > hit
enter > highlight the account > click properties > click group membership >
select other > in the drop down menu box assign them to the Guest account
group.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes