Thinking of upgrading but not sure about PSU

I currently have the system listed at the bottom of this email
It has basically a 300W power supply, a prescott CPU, and a Radeon 9550SE

I want to upgrade to a 256Mb Abit 9600XT but I am concerned that maybe my
power supply is not up to it? It is a Fortron/FSP Group which I have read
are not too bad - but all the power calculators I use on the web seem to say
that you need around 300W and I am wondering if I should upgrade to an Antec
Trupower 380 just to be safe or whether the difference between the 9550SE
and the 9600XT power draw (they both do *not* need an extra power connector)
is small enough to not matter?

System spec:
128MB DDR Sapphire Radeon 9550SE graphics with TV-out & DVI (Catalyst 4.5)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A,
+5Vsb@2.0A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
Windows XP Pro SP2
memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
speedfan 4.16: +5V@6.71V, +12V@16.10V, -12V@8.43V, -5V@2.89V
5 answers Last reply
More about thinking upgrading

    You realistically need at LEAST the Antec True Power 430 Watt for all those
    components in your system.

    --
    DaveW

    > You realistically need at LEAST the Antec True Power 430 Watt for all
    > those components in your system.

    Cheers for the reply!

    It all currently runs well with the 300W supply - ive memtested it and had
    no problems playing games or leaving 3dMark running in a loop for an hour or
    so.

    Are you saying though that upgrading from the 9550SE (which has no fan) to a
    9600 Pro or 9600 XT (which has a fan and presumably draws more power anyway)
    would require upgrading the PSU from 300W to 430W or would you think the
    300W is underpowered for the components in there already?

    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "ofn01" <ofn01@nospam.not.uk> wrote in message
    >>I currently have the system listed at the bottom of this email
    >> It has basically a 300W power supply, a prescott CPU, and a Radeon 9550SE
    >>
    >> I want to upgrade to a 256Mb Abit 9600XT but I am concerned that maybe my
    >> power supply is not up to it? It is a Fortron/FSP Group which I have read
    >> are not too bad - but all the power calculators I use on the web seem to
    >> say that you need around 300W and I am wondering if I should upgrade to
    >> an Antec Trupower 380 just to be safe or whether the difference between
    >> the 9550SE and the 9600XT power draw (they both do *not* need an extra
    >> power connector) is small enough to not matter?
    >>
    >> System spec:
    >> 128MB DDR Sapphire Radeon 9550SE graphics with TV-out & DVI (Catalyst
    >> 4.5)
    >> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
    >> MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
    >> Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
    >> FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A,
    >> +5Vsb@2.0A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
    >> Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
    >> Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
    >> Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2
    >> memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
    >> speedfan 4.16: +5V@6.71V, +12V@16.10V, -12V@8.43V, -5V@2.89V

    Its "alot" of hassle just for a gfx card, i would say try the new xt see how
    goes, and if the voltages look strange get the psu. But if budget isn't a
    prob, then just get both to take that worry off your hands.

    Although, you didn't ask for it, have you thought about getting a 9800,
    shouldn't be much more expensive than the one you want, and the 256bit
    memory will be more than worth it.

    "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Its "alot" of hassle just for a gfx card, i would say try the new xt see
    > how goes, and if the voltages look strange get the psu. But if budget
    > isn't a prob, then just get both to take that worry off your hands.
    >
    > Although, you didn't ask for it, have you thought about getting a 9800,
    > shouldn't be much more expensive than the one you want, and the 256bit
    > memory will be more than worth it.

    Budget isn't a huge constraint - though I won't want to go nuts.
    I guess while I have built computers in the past and I am quite happy with
    taking bits in and out - I just always *Worry* that something is going to
    happen if I change something.

    While a PSU change is pretty benign - I am slightly concerned that some
    sites reckon your motherboard might need a BIOS upgrade to handle a new PSU
    (not sure why), and at the moment this computer is actually running pretty
    stable.

    But I do want to upgrade the GFX card and if this computer had a PSU capable
    of it I probably would consider the 9800. But I am probably happier to get
    9600XT if the chances are that the 300W FSP Group PSU I have (which has 18
    amps on the 12v rail) would be fine with it.

    The problem is I can't find how much my Sapphire 9550SE draws and how much
    an Abit 9600XT draws!

    DaveW wrote:
    > You realistically need at LEAST the Antec True Power 430 Watt for all
    > those components in your system.

    Oh come on... I'm all for being sure of yr PSU, but that is pure overkill
    vor a system without SLI videocards... I am OC'ing a northwood quite far,
    together with SCSI drives and an OC'd 9700. I am not even coming near the
    limits of my Enermax 365....

    Thomas

Radeon Graphics