I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get the
error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"

Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in "sharing
and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can find
my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
music, because it will take all day.

Dutch,

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane, double-click "My Music" and set it's path as follows:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music

Also note that the value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type, and not REG_SZ.
Otherwise, this will not help.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Dutch" <Dutch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
> computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get
> the
> error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
> windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"
>
> Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in
> "sharing
> and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can
> find
> my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
> music, because it will take all day.

Problem solved - Thanks for your help Ramesh !

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Dutch,
>
> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane, double-click "My Music" and set it's path as follows:
>
> %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music
>
> Also note that the value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type, and not REG_SZ.
> Otherwise, this will not help.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Dutch" <Dutch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
> > computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get
> > the
> > error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
> > windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"
> >
> > Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in
> > "sharing
> > and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can
> > find
> > my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
> > music, because it will take all day.

You're welcome Dutch.