Sharing Music

I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get the
error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"

Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in "sharing
and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can find
my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
music, because it will take all day.
3 answers Last reply
More about sharing music

    Dutch,

    Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    In the right-pane, double-click "My Music" and set it's path as follows:

    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music

    Also note that the value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type, and not REG_SZ.
    Otherwise, this will not help.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dutch" <Dutch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
    > computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get
    > the
    > error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
    > windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"
    >
    > Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in
    > "sharing
    > and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can
    > find
    > my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
    > music, because it will take all day.

    Problem solved - Thanks for your help Ramesh !

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Dutch,
    >
    > Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane, double-click "My Music" and set it's path as follows:
    >
    > %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music
    >
    > Also note that the value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type, and not REG_SZ.
    > Otherwise, this will not help.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Dutch" <Dutch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
    > > computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get
    > > the
    > > error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
    > > windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"
    > >
    > > Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in
    > > "sharing
    > > and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can
    > > find
    > > my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of my
    > > music, because it will take all day.

    You're welcome Dutch.

    --

    > Problem solved - Thanks for your help Ramesh !
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Dutch,
    >>
    >> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    >> Shell Folders
    >>
    >> In the right-pane, double-click "My Music" and set it's path as follows:
    >>
    >> %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music
    >>
    >> Also note that the value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type, and not REG_SZ.
    >> Otherwise, this will not help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Dutch" <Dutch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've accidently dragged "My Music" into the "Shared Documents" on my
    >> > computer. When I tried to drag the folder back to"Bobs Documents" I get
    >> > the
    >> > error message: "My Music is a Windows System Folder and is required for
    >> > windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or deleted"
    >> >
    >> > Can somebody advise on how I can unshare my music (the checkbox in
    >> > "sharing
    >> > and security is grey i.e. uncheckable) because Itunes now no longer can
    >> > find
    >> > my 30GB of music and I dont want to have to import the new location of
    >> > my
    >> > music, because it will take all day.

Security Music Windows XP