Turning on the windows firewall

Yesterday, my computer suddenly turned off the windows firewall. When i go to
the security centre, to turn the firewall back on, i receive the following
message:

1) Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?

I then select yes, but i get a second message.

2) Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) Service?

How do I turn the firewall back on? Would appreciate a quick response as I
am currently without a firewall.

Many Thanks.

Green Eyes wrote:

> Yesterday, my computer suddenly turned off the windows firewall. When i go to
> the security centre, to turn the firewall back on, i receive the following
> message:
>
> 1) Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?
>
> I then select yes, but i get a second message.
>
> 2) Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) Service?
>
> How do I turn the firewall back on? Would appreciate a quick response as I
> am currently without a firewall.
Hi,

Please try this:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

If the above didn't fix the problem, take a look here:

"Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

thanks, that helped solve the problem.