Turning on the windows firewall

Yesterday, my computer suddenly turned off the windows firewall. When i go to
the security centre, to turn the firewall back on, i receive the following
message:

1) Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?

I then select yes, but i get a second message.

2) Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) Service?

How do I turn the firewall back on? Would appreciate a quick response as I
am currently without a firewall.

Many Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about turning windows firewall

    Green Eyes wrote:

    > Yesterday, my computer suddenly turned off the windows firewall. When i go to
    > the security centre, to turn the firewall back on, i receive the following
    > message:
    >
    > 1) Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
    > Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?
    >
    > I then select yes, but i get a second message.
    >
    > 2) Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
    > (ICS) Service?
    >
    > How do I turn the firewall back on? Would appreciate a quick response as I
    > am currently without a firewall.
    Hi,

    Please try this:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

    If the above didn't fix the problem, take a look here:

    "Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
    accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    thanks, that helped solve the problem.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Green Eyes wrote:
    >
    > > Yesterday, my computer suddenly turned off the windows firewall. When i go to
    > > the security centre, to turn the firewall back on, i receive the following
    > > message:
    > >
    > > 1) Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    > > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
    > > Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?
    > >
    > > I then select yes, but i get a second message.
    > >
    > > 2) Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
    > > (ICS) Service?
    > >
    > > How do I turn the firewall back on? Would appreciate a quick response as I
    > > am currently without a firewall.
    > Hi,
    >
    > Please try this:
    >
    > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    >
    > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    >
    > netsh.exe winsock reset
    >
    > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    >

    > After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    > are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    > firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
    >

    > If the above didn't fix the problem, take a look here:
    >
    > "Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
    > accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Firewalls Security Internet Connection Windows XP