firewall exception has no name

I added an exception (for a .NET app I'm writing) to the SP2 firewall when it
popped up and asked me.

The problem is that when looking at my exceptioins tab in Windows Firewall - I
can see the exception, but it has no name, just a checkbox.

How can I name these un-named exceptions?
--
Thanks in advance, Les Caudle
2 answers Last reply

    Les,

    For XP SP2, try this : Open Windows Firewall in Control Panel. Click the
    Exceptions tab. Delete the unnamed exception by clicking on it and then
    the Delete button. Click the Add Program button and then the Browse button.
    In the Files of type dropdown window click the down arrow and set it to
    All Files if the .Net app is not an .exe, .com, or .icd. ( if it is one
    of those extensions than Browse to it and Add it without clicking the
    down arrow). Then Browse to the app and select it.

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    Les Caudle wrote:

    > I added an exception (for a .NET app I'm writing) to the SP2 firewall when it
    > popped up and asked me.
    >
    > The problem is that when looking at my exceptioins tab in Windows Firewall - I
    > can see the exception, but it has no name, just a checkbox.
    >
    > How can I name these un-named exceptions?
    > --
    > Thanks in advance, Les Caudle

    you can't change the name in the control panel but you can change it at the
    command line.
    try this:
    1) launch the firewall control panel, select the exception and click the
    edit button.
    2) on the resulting edit dialog, note the path of the application, then
    close down the control panel
    3) at a command prompt type:
    netsh firewall set allowedprogram program=<the path you got from the UI>
    name=<the name you want>
    4) launch the control panel again and verify everything looks good
    --
    David
    Microsoft Windows Networking

    "Les Caudle" <very@tiredofspam.com> wrote in message
    >I added an exception (for a .NET app I'm writing) to the SP2 firewall when
    >it
    > popped up and asked me.
    >
    > The problem is that when looking at my exceptioins tab in Windows
    > Firewall - I
    > can see the exception, but it has no name, just a checkbox.
    >
    > How can I name these un-named exceptions?
    > --
    > Thanks in advance, Les Caudle

Security Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP