Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PLEASE HELP ME

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2005 1:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Recently I decided to play arround with my computer. Much to my family's
disappointment.

I have had a problem with any user account which was not set to admin. it
would load up then exit. (Hard to explain problem)

I decided maybe the problem wouldn't exist with the Guest Account. I tried
and the message that appeared was ACCESS IS DENIED.

I with a mate when talking over the problem decided it could be something to
do with COMPUTERNAME\ADMINISTRATORS having their own security rights etc.

I then (from playing arround before) realised that I could set everyone to
have full access to the hard drive which should allow log in for normal
limited accounts.

So when clicking on the security tab of the properties box of the Hard Drive
(C:)  I typed in all three accounts plus The guest account. When doing this I
found three or four different users that were not recognised by me.

I decided that they were not needed, so I deleted their permissions to have
fuill access to the hard drive.

now when I turn on it will not allow me to load up windows, I get the
following message. "NTLDR is missing".

I can only think it's because I removed some of the accounts that must have
been used for the initial startup.

Now I can't do anything, the system recovery disk will not allow me to
format hard drie because it's denied access.


Can anyone tell me how to get these suposidly un-needed users back?


Thank you for all your time and efforts in advance..


daniel

More about : question

June 1, 2005 5:38:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

DanielWalters6 wrote:

> Recently I decided to play arround with my computer. Much to my
> family's disappointment.
>
> I have had a problem with any user account which was not set to admin.
> it would load up then exit. (Hard to explain problem)
>
> I decided maybe the problem wouldn't exist with the Guest Account. I
> tried and the message that appeared was ACCESS IS DENIED.
>
> I with a mate when talking over the problem decided it could be
> something to do with COMPUTERNAME\ADMINISTRATORS having their own
> security rights etc.
>
> I then (from playing arround before) realised that I could set
> everyone to have full access to the hard drive which should allow log
> in for normal limited accounts.
>
> So when clicking on the security tab of the properties box of the Hard
> Drive (C:)  I typed in all three accounts plus The guest account. When
> doing this I found three or four different users that were not
> recognised by me.
>
> I decided that they were not needed, so I deleted their permissions to
> have fuill access to the hard drive.
>
> now when I turn on it will not allow me to load up windows, I get the
> following message. "NTLDR is missing".
>
> I can only think it's because I removed some of the accounts that must
> have been used for the initial startup.
>
> Now I can't do anything, the system recovery disk will not allow me to
> format hard drie because it's denied access.
>

I thought you were going to get a Mac? ;-) Seriously, when you say you
can't start the recovery disk (I assume this is an image-type Restore
Disk from the computer mftr., like HP or eMachines), are you trying to
run this from within Windows? That won't work. You need to put the cd
in the drive and then restart your computer and boot from the cd. You
may need to set your computer to boot from the cd-rom drive if it is
not set that way. To do that, you would enter the BIOS setup and change
the boot order. Refer to your computer manual for more help, or post
back.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!