PC check doesn't recognize 8500DV as Radeon card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2005 4:26:59 PM

I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
(Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)

I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc. Everything
installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check" it
always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
recent."
It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the easy
answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?

Here's the specs on my comp:
Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
Radeon AIW 8500DV
Creative Live SB
513 MB RAM

If I need to supply more info let me know.
Thanks for any help.
Alex
January 22, 2005 12:10:11 AM

If you want a good system checking software get AIDA32 it's free and check
your system and tells you the same thing.

Homer

"alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>
> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc.
> Everything
> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check"
> it
> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
> recent."
> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the
> easy
> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Here's the specs on my comp:
> Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
> Radeon AIW 8500DV
> Creative Live SB
> 513 MB RAM
>
> If I need to supply more info let me know.
> Thanks for any help.
> Alex

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:27:57 AM

In article <35d6urF4ka34dU1@individual.net>, alex d says...
> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>
> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc. Everything
> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check" it
> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
> recent."
> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the easy
> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?

If it installs correctly and works then nothing is wrong. Don't rely on
system info utilities to always tell you the truth.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
January 22, 2005 12:59:13 AM

"Homer" <homer@mymamas.com> wrote in message
> If you want a good system checking software get AIDA32 it's free and check
> your system and tells you the same thing.
>
> Homer

thanks, i'll check it out.

> "alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
>> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>>
>> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc.
>> Everything
>> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check"
>> it
>> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
>> recent."
>> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
>> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the
>> easy
>> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
>> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Here's the specs on my comp:
>> Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
>> Radeon AIW 8500DV
>> Creative Live SB
>> 513 MB RAM
>>
>> If I need to supply more info let me know.
>> Thanks for any help.
>> Alex

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:39:50 PM

"alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>
> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc.
> Everything
> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check"
> it
> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
> recent."
> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the
> easy
> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Here's the specs on my comp:
> Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
> Radeon AIW 8500DV
> Creative Live SB
> 513 MB RAM
>
> If I need to supply more info let me know.
> Thanks for any help.
> Alex

Using an ATI 8500DV here with MMC 9.02 and Catalyst 4.10 (the newest
officially supported software for the 8500DV) and I get exactly the same
error. I wouldn't worry about it as ATI "checking" functionality has a very
long history of getting it wrong and this is a known issue. In the Catalyst
drivers under the Options tab/details button my card shows as having a
"current bus setting" of "4x" - is it not reading that for yours?

Paul
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:15:31 PM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
>> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>>
>> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc.
>> Everything
>> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check"
>> it
>> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
>> recent."
>> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
>> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the
>> easy
>> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
>> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Here's the specs on my comp:
>> Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
>> Radeon AIW 8500DV
>> Creative Live SB
>> 513 MB RAM
>>
>> If I need to supply more info let me know.
>> Thanks for any help.
>> Alex
>>
> Using an ATI 8500DV here with MMC 9.02 and Catalyst 4.10 (the newest
> officially supported software for the 8500DV) and I get exactly the same
> error. I wouldn't worry about it as ATI "checking" functionality has a
> very long history of getting it wrong and this is a known issue. In the
> Catalyst drivers under the Options tab/details button my card shows as
> having a "current bus setting" of "4x" - is it not reading that for yours?
>
> Paul

actually when I went back to check that setting it was at '4x' so I just
left it all alone.
January 31, 2005 11:51:28 AM

"alex d" <rojobrdnineteenatyahoodotcom> wrote in message

> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm hoping someone here can help me, as ATI support can't
>>> (Re-install...reformat...reboot....bah!)
>>>
>>> I just downloaded all the new ATI drivers and MMC, Catalyst, etc.
>>> Everything
>>> installs correctly and I get no error messages but when I run "PC Check"
>>> it
>>> always comes back as - "FAILED: Graphics Chip: Not ATI RADEON or more
>>> recent."
>>> It also won't recognize it as an AGP 4x card.
>>> I don't get this error when I use the original drivers disk. I know the
>>> easy
>>> answer is to keep using those, but I'd like to keep up to date.
>>> Has anyone run across this? Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Here's the specs on my comp:
>>> Shuttle AS45GT/R motherboard w/ P4 1.8mhz
>>> Radeon AIW 8500DV
>>> Creative Live SB
>>> 513 MB RAM
>>>
>>> If I need to supply more info let me know.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>> Alex
>>>
>> Using an ATI 8500DV here with MMC 9.02 and Catalyst 4.10 (the newest
>> officially supported software for the 8500DV) and I get exactly the same
>> error. I wouldn't worry about it as ATI "checking" functionality has a
>> very long history of getting it wrong and this is a known issue. In the
>> Catalyst drivers under the Options tab/details button my card shows as
>> having a "current bus setting" of "4x" - is it not reading that for
>> yours?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> actually when I went back to check that setting it was at '4x' so I just
> left it all alone.
A reboot after loading the drivers sometimes make a difference with such
things - perhaps that's got something to do with it. Leaving it alone is a
good philosophy if it isn't broke :-)

Paul
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:23:01 PM

> "alex d" <rojobrdnineteenatyahoodotcom> wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "alex d" <redbrd19@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Check"

> >> Using an ATI 8500DV here with MMC 9.02 and Catalyst 4.10 (the newest
> >> officially supported software for the 8500DV) and I get exactly the
same
> >> error. I wouldn't worry about it as ATI "checking" functionality has a
> >> very long history of getting it wrong and this is a known issue. In the
> >> Catalyst drivers under the Options tab/details button my card shows as
> >> having a "current bus setting" of "4x" - is it not reading that for
> >> yours?
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> > actually when I went back to check that setting it was at '4x' so I just
> > left it all alone.
> A reboot after loading the drivers sometimes make a difference with such
> things - perhaps that's got something to do with it. Leaving it alone is a
> good philosophy if it isn't broke :-)
>
> Paul

For whatever reason ATI is unable to make the "PC Check" show AIWs as
Radeons. My AIW9600XT has never shown up as a Radeon. I don't know that this
causes any problems.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:23:02 PM

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:p 3sLd.10262$i42.2601@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "alex d" <rojobrdnineteenatyahoodotcom> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Check"
> the

> same

> > > actually when I went back to check that setting it was at '4x' so I
just
> > > left it all alone.
> > A reboot after loading the drivers sometimes make a difference with such
> > things - perhaps that's got something to do with it. Leaving it alone is
> > good philosophy if it isn't broke :-)
> >
> > Paul
> >
> For whatever reason ATI is unable to make the "PC Check" show AIWs as
> Radeons. My AIW9600XT has never shown up as a Radeon. I don't know that
this
> causes any problems.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm stickin with the "if it ain't broke...."
!