File access on Drive set up as slave in XP

Computer hard drive failed. Set up Windows XP on the new drive, and reseated
the old drive running Windows XP as the slave drive to try to save some
important files on that drive. The new drive will not allow me to access a
particular folder on the old drive because of password security in XP. Any
suggestions would be greatly apprieciated... I have tried a few different
things like sharing the folder, taking ownership under the administrator
account and a few other things but it still tells me that access is denied. I
went to the file and settings transfer wizard and can see the files I need to
transfer but it still kicks me back the error that access is
denied....Helppppp please....

Thank-you, Wendy
1 answer Last reply
More about file access drive slave

    Unknown Author wrote:

    > Computer hard drive failed. Set up Windows XP on the new drive, and
    > reseated the old drive running Windows XP as the slave drive to try to
    > save some important files on that drive. The new drive will not allow
    > me to access a particular folder on the old drive because of password
    > security in XP. Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated... I
    > have tried a few different things like sharing the folder, taking
    > ownership under the administrator account and a few other things but
    > it still tells me that access is denied. I went to the file and
    > settings transfer wizard and can see the files I need to transfer but
    > it still kicks me back the error that access is denied....Helppppp
    > please....
    >
    > Thank-you, Wendy

    Since you've already tried to take ownership and that didn't work, I'd
    just boot with Knoppix and copy the files off that way. This is
    assuming the files are *not* encrypted, in which case unless you backed
    up your certificate and/or designated a recovery agent, the files are
    gone. Here's information on Knoppix:

    Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
    two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
    enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
    with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
    Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
    cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If
    you will be using the usb thumb drive to copy your data, plug it in
    before you boot the system with Knoppix. Otherwise, use the K3b burning
    program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com