Roaming question

So, Cingular does not allow me to roam onto AT&T (or anybody) within my home
area. Will roaming work outside of this area if I travel cross country, or
does Cingular not allow roaming anywhere (even though I am paying for a free
roaming national plan)?
6 answers Last reply
More about roaming question

    "Jay A" <cajay@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > So, Cingular does not allow me to roam onto AT&T (or anybody) within my
    home
    > area. Will roaming work outside of this area if I travel cross country, or
    > does Cingular not allow roaming anywhere (even though I am paying for a
    free
    > roaming national plan)?

    Are you sure they don't allow it, or are they just the only provider in your
    area compatible with your phone? I'm on the Cingular GSM nation plan. Just
    about every day, I connect at least one call on the ATT GSM network. That's
    just in my home area. I also travel frequently, WAY out of my home area.
    I've never been hit with roaming charges, which is as it should be,
    considering my plan includes free roaming. How is it that we are on the
    same plan and Cingular allows me to roam, but prohibits you to do so? -Dave

    I thought it was common knowledge that Cingular did not allow roaming in
    one's home area. Perhaps it's just in my area (California). At any rate, yes
    I am sure they don't allow it, at least here.

    > I thought it was common knowledge that Cingular did not allow roaming in
    > one's home area. Perhaps it's just in my area (California). At any rate,
    yes
    > I am sure they don't allow it, at least here.
    Well, it's pretty much the opposite in WA. If you use someone else's network
    (att usually)
    in your home area, you do NOT pay for roaming. I have never paid roaming in
    my home
    area in three years, and I am on ATT alot in dead spots for cingular. I was
    on verizon while in
    Portland, and that didn't cost anything either, because I have the extended
    home area, (or whatever
    it is called)

    Bernard

    >I have never paid roaming in
    >my home
    >area in three years, and I am on ATT alot in dead spots for cingular. I was
    >on verizon while in
    >Portland, and that didn't cost anything either,

    Verizon Analog I take it. You don't say what technology you are using but the
    tone of your message is that you are using analog/TDMA. I don't know of any
    phones (GAIT excepted) that are GSM/TDMA/Analog.

    --
    John S.

    "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
    > >I have never paid roaming in
    > >my home
    > >area in three years, and I am on ATT alot in dead spots for cingular. I
    was
    > >on verizon while in
    > >Portland, and that didn't cost anything either,
    >
    > Verizon Analog I take it. You don't say what technology you are using but
    the
    > tone of your message is that you are using analog/TDMA. I don't know of
    any
    > phones (GAIT excepted) that are GSM/TDMA/Analog.
    >
    > --
    > John S.
    > e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

    all gsm. I may be wrong about verizon in Portland,
    it was someone other than ATT though.
    Bernard

    >all gsm. I may be wrong about verizon in Portland,
    >it was someone other than ATT though.

    Verizon is either CDMA or Analog. So it wasn't Verizon.

    --
    John S.

Cingular At&T Internet Service Providers