Tags:
  • Movies
  • DVD
Last response: in Entertainment
January 6, 2012 12:07:58 AM

If you ripped a dvd you owned is it illegal to show to other people

More about : ripped dvd owned

January 6, 2012 10:30:37 AM

i would suppose it depends on circumstances.

if you played the video at your house or let them borrow it its most likely not a problem as you could have done the same with the physical disk you bought.

giving away either copy to them permanently could be considered piracy without gain though. if however the original disk was destroyed by accident and the copy is all you have left, there might be a loophole.

Related resources
February 14, 2012 11:09:09 PM

I believe it is copyright infringement. If you sell an MP3, or iPod, with music inside of it, you can get in trouble. I was aware of this before I sold my iTouch on craigslist. But, technically I guess if your keeping it in your household and not trying to sell it, it wouldn't go against the law. Profiting from it may.
March 19, 2012 1:16:39 PM

Draz said:
I believe it is copyright infringement. If you sell an MP3, or iPod, with music inside of it, you can get in trouble. I was aware of this before I sold my iTouch on craigslist. But, technically I guess if your keeping it in your household and not trying to sell it, it wouldn't go against the law. Profiting from it may.

It depends where do u live.

In some countries in Europe it is legal to make a copy for yourself.
March 19, 2012 2:51:24 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Typically, making a single backup copy for yourself is acceptable. This applys to software and music as well.

Yes, but sadly, illegal in the USA : ))
March 19, 2012 3:53:58 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
It depends. You need permission to do it. Microsoft gives blanket permission to make a single backup copy and think Adobe does as well.

With software it is different, because the unique licence #.

But we are talking about the media, like movies and the music.
March 19, 2012 4:13:00 PM

You got that right!

Instead they created the monster named SOPA : ) /almost/

March 23, 2012 9:26:41 PM

You shouldn't worry.
I don't get you people who worry about stuff like this. Here most of us ONLY use pirated stuff ( music movies software, everything).
AS long as you dont sell or distribuite it in public it's perfectly ok.
F*** those stupid laws.
April 26, 2012 4:03:13 PM

@mikke
piracy is stealing. equate it to people talking dollar bills out of your wallet. obviously you would have a problem with it and if enough people did it you would resort to a heavy handed action hence the issues we face today. at some point in time most of us will have used or came across some form of this, even if it is just burning a cd a friend bought that we wanted but do realize that you are 100% in the wrong.

@oldmangamer
exactly. i love how pirates try to justify their actions. they have no legs to stand on yet try to stand tall.

April 27, 2012 5:14:50 PM

I disagree with you SSDDX

its not taking money out of your pocket directly

lets say I download a movie and watch it, but the only reason i watched it was cus it was free. that doesnt cost any money directly out of your pocket, because there was never going to be a sale in the first place...

if i never downloaded - $0
downloaded - $0

April 27, 2012 5:19:33 PM

Hmmm is it better to have watched it for free or never have watched it at all?
April 27, 2012 5:19:44 PM

if u own the original and do not sale or distribute the copy to anyone
typically the courts would side in your favor that your actions did not do any harm to the movie studio

however, if u profit anyway from the copying of the movie, u may have an issue
April 27, 2012 6:03:33 PM

you still fail to see the point mobrocket.

what gives you the right to view paid content for free?

i will concede that if you 100% would not have bought the content it doesnt affect sales but if you did not like the content why would you be viewing it? the only reason why most people who pirate will not buy the content is because they dont see the need to pay for something they can already get for free. even pirates are potential customers and you will do well to remember that.

also remember that even though there might not be a direct input on sales piracy does affect the market in general. for instance if there was no piracy then there would be no need for drm or copy protection. companies which experience a huge loss of sales due to piracy might be forced to close up instead of releasing another huge hit. companies which fear spending money might cheapskate on development instead of creating media truly worth buying. the list goes on and on.

even if you do not profit from sharing content you are still in the wrong and can be prosecuted. the only difference is that you aren't making any cash doing it.

!