PSP or Photoshop

For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
shot photos)
THX

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
> wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
> experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
> does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
> shot photos)
> THX

Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross paltform, free,
very stable and has an excellent collection of filters. It's at:
http://www.gimp.org/

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you're dinkum, PhotoShop's a LOT more expensive. But grab the trial
and see for yourself! Nobody else can tell you the truth about this.

Noise Ninja.

>For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
>wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
>experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
>does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
>shot photos)
>THX

The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Tallis Travis Talbert typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
>> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
>> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
>> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>> THX
>>

> Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
> paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
> filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/

Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what else...they say
it can be found compiled version. But i don't find it.

Old Nick typed:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> If you're dinkum, PhotoShop's a LOT more expensive. But grab the trial
> and see for yourself! Nobody else can tell you the truth about this.

You have the point here. Maybe i'll do that...

> Noise Ninja.
>
>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
>> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
>> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
>> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>> THX

> The Met Bureau is LOVE!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>Tallis Travis Talbert typed:
>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
>>> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
>>> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
>>> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>>> THX
>>>

>> Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
>> paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
>> filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/
>
>Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what else...they say
>it can be found compiled version. But i don't find it.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/
tells you:

Getting and Installing the GIMP

This site, www.gimp.org, only distributes the source code to the GIMP
(the building blocks). You can download executable versions from the
following site:

* Jernej Simoncic ( http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ )provides
an installer program that automates the installation process. This is
the most convenient way to install the GIMP for Windows.

The stable version is at
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html and you need to
download both the GIMP toolkit as well as the GIMP - just like it
says. No compiling required.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:

> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
> wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
> experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
> does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
> shot photos)
> THX

Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It seems
easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found anything missing
from it.

I also use GIMP on Linux (it comes precompiled). It's very powerful too,
but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
--
Gerry Wheeler
Naples, FL

Gerry Wheeler typed:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
>> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
>> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
>> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>> THX
>
> Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It
> seems easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found
> anything missing from it.
>
> I also use GIMP on Linux (it comes precompiled). It's very powerful
> too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.

Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
Linux...precompiled Gimp... :)
I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
damn...tooooooo long!

SleeperMan wrote:

> Gerry Wheeler typed:
>
>> too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
>
> Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
> Linux...precompiled Gimp... :)
> I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
> damn...tooooooo long!
I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little more
specific?
--

Have a nice day, 8:)
Josef G.; Linux Counter UserID: 52525

Josef G. typed:

> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> Gerry Wheeler typed:
>>
>>> too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
>>
>> Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
>> Linux...precompiled Gimp... :)
>> I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to
>> compile... damn...tooooooo long!
> I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little
> more specific?

I didn't compile. I just read info about installing on official site and
they say it's more than 300.000 lines to compile which takes more than 30
minutes. But the main problem is compiling - i don't have C compiler, and if
i install that installer from arnes.si...it doesn't help me nothing.
I'm missing something here...maybe a compiled program.... :)

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:11:10 +0300, "Josef G." <ns_golojo@yahoo.com>
was understood to have stated the following:

>> I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
>> damn...tooooooo long!
>I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little more
>specific?

A textile image processing suite I authored and maintained took about
45 minutes for a full build.

jay

I have both PSP v7 and Photoshop Elements v2.

Adobe product start so slooowwwwww. I get mad at it before its running.
once its going its OK.
Adobe does somethings better than PSP. I think PSP is easier to use.

The only pics that I commonly need to touch up are panoramics...

--Jay

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
> wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
> experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
> does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
> shot photos)
> THX

eddie

"Gerry Wheeler" <gwheelerz@qolpublishing.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
>
> > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But
> > wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
> > experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc.
And
> > does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
> > shot photos)
> > THX
>
> Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It seems
> easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found anything missing
> from it.
> Gerry Wheeler
> Naples, FL

PSP has the fasted graphics browser I've used. It's a great programme. But
Phtotoshop Elements, much cheaper than PhotoShopPro, has the best 'Enhance'
mode I've used. So, heck, I use PSP v 5.0 for pic file browsing, and
Photoshop elemsents for enhancing etc.The latter is really a cut-down
version of PhototoShop pro, but without all the bells and whisltes that
amateurs just don't use anyway.

Eddie

user@hotmail.com typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>> Tallis Travis Talbert typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
>>> paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
>>> filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/
>>
>> Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what
>> else...they say it can be found compiled version. But i don't find
>> it.
>>

> http://www.gimp.org/windows/
> tells you:
>
> Getting and Installing the GIMP
>
> This site, www.gimp.org, only distributes the source code to the GIMP
> (the building blocks). You can download executable versions from the
> following site:
>
> * Jernej Simoncic ( http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ )provides
> an installer program that automates the installation process. This is
> the most convenient way to install the GIMP for Windows.
>
> The stable version is at
> http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html and you need to
> download both the GIMP toolkit as well as the GIMP - just like it
> says. No compiling required.

AHA! I saw toolkit and installed it - but didn''t see program below. Thanks.
I'll try again.

Eddie typed:

> "Gerry Wheeler" <gwheelerz@qolpublishing.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
>>
>>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my
>>> photos. But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job?
>>> Does anyone has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting
>>> brightness, saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal
>>> tool? (For removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>>> THX
>>
>> Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It
>> seems easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found
>> anything missing from it.
>> Gerry Wheeler
>> Naples, FL
>>

> PSP has the fasted graphics browser I've used. It's a great
> programme. But Phtotoshop Elements, much cheaper than PhotoShopPro,
> has the best 'Enhance' mode I've used. So, heck, I use PSP v 5.0 for
> pic file browsing, and Photoshop elemsents for enhancing etc.The
> latter is really a cut-down version of PhototoShop pro, but without
> all the bells and whisltes that amateurs just don't use anyway.
>
> Eddie

I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with filters for
photos, like BW correction, color, contrast ...correction. I don't need
those for all photos, just some come out not so good and need to be
corrected. I think PSP (especially V8) has some very good photo filters. I
just wonder if Photoshop has better ones...
I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.

jay typed:

> I have both PSP v7 and Photoshop Elements v2.
>
> Adobe product start so slooowwwwww. I get mad at it before its
> running. once its going its OK.

I know this from Acrobat...oh well :-((

> Adobe does somethings better than PSP. I think PSP is easier to use.

I like that automatic filters in PSP. Easy and good done.

http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/

--
Regards,
Baz

Basiltoo typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>
>> And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>
> http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/

Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics say...
Thanks!

SleeperMan typed:

> Basiltoo typed:
>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>>
>>> And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
>>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
>>
>> http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/
>
> Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
> say... Thanks!

THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
removed so good and details preserved?
Many thanks again, Basiltoo!

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:24:22 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>SleeperMan typed:
>
>> Basiltoo typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in

>>> http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/
>>
>> Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
>> say... Thanks!
>
>THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
>removed so good and details preserved?

with the Neatimage prog ..

eddie

> Eddie typed:
>
> I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with filters for
> photos, like BW correction, color, contrast ...correction. I don't need
> those for all photos, just some come out not so good and need to be
> corrected. I think PSP (especially V8) has some very good photo filters. I
> just wonder if Photoshop has better ones...
> I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.

When I refer to browsing, I do in the context of searching through pic
folders for the one that you want. Heck, when you've downloaded a couple of
hundred form the digital cam, it takes quite some time for Photoshop
Elements to 'browse' the folder, and rather clumsy too. PSP is super, find
the pic very quickly and do with it what you want.

Eddie

Eddie typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Eddie typed:
>>
>> I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with
>> filters for photos, like BW correction, color, contrast
>> ...correction. I don't need those for all photos, just some come out
>> not so good and need to be corrected. I think PSP (especially V8)
>> has some very good photo filters. I just wonder if Photoshop has
>> better ones...
>> I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.
>>
> When I refer to browsing, I do in the context of searching through pic
> folders for the one that you want. Heck, when you've downloaded a
> couple of hundred form the digital cam, it takes quite some time for
> Photoshop Elements to 'browse' the folder, and rather clumsy too. PSP
> is super, find the pic very quickly and do with it what you want.
>
> Eddie

i never did browse with PSP - i normally use explorer. I'll try PSP once and
see.

imbsysop typed:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:24:22 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>
>> SleeperMan typed:
>>
>>> Basiltoo typed:

>>> Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
>>> say... Thanks!
>>
>> THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
>> removed so good and details preserved?
>
> with the Neatimage prog ..

Slow, but even greater result... THANKS

SleeperMan wrote:
> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
> THX

Photoshop wins hands down on features, including the ability in PS CS to
remove digital noise, but the price tag is substantially higher - roughly
$500 US difference between the two products. Enough to get a very nice
digital camera. If your budget is limited, I wouldn't have much problem
making that choice.

Support is more open and responsive from PSP as well - for example PSP folks
actively participate in the news groups and respond helpfully and
courteously to questions.

If you can afford it, though, Photoshop is still king, and most if not all
of your support questions can be handled in alt.graphics.photoshop, if you
don't mind getting flamed now and them.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Even though I use photoshop 8 to 10 hours a day do not leave corel out of
the mix photo paint is much less expensive and very very powerful software.
My customers seem to think name is everything so for me paintshop is what I
send off to the printers.
Jim

---