PSP or Photoshop

For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
shot photos)
THX
26 answers Last reply
More about photoshop

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
    > wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
    > experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
    > does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
    > shot photos)
    > THX

    Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross paltform, free,
    very stable and has an excellent collection of filters. It's at:
    http://www.gimp.org/

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
    .......and in reply I say!:

    If you're dinkum, PhotoShop's a LOT more expensive. But grab the trial
    and see for yourself! Nobody else can tell you the truth about this.

    Noise Ninja.

    >For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
    >wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
    >experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
    >does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
    >shot photos)
    >THX

    The Met Bureau is LOVE!

    Tallis Travis Talbert typed:

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >> THX
    >>

    > Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
    > paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
    > filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/

    Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what else...they say
    it can be found compiled version. But i don't find it.

    Old Nick typed:

    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    > <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
    > ......and in reply I say!:
    > remove ns from my header address to reply via email
    >
    > If you're dinkum, PhotoShop's a LOT more expensive. But grab the trial
    > and see for yourself! Nobody else can tell you the truth about this.

    You have the point here. Maybe i'll do that...

    > Noise Ninja.
    >
    >> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >> THX

    > The Met Bureau is LOVE!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
    >Tallis Travis Talbert typed:
    >
    >> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >>> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >>> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >>> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >>> THX
    >>>

    >> Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
    >> paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
    >> filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/
    >
    >Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what else...they say
    >it can be found compiled version. But i don't find it.

    http://www.gimp.org/windows/
    tells you:

    Getting and Installing the GIMP

    This site, www.gimp.org, only distributes the source code to the GIMP
    (the building blocks). You can download executable versions from the
    following site:

    * Jernej Simoncic ( http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ )provides
    an installer program that automates the installation process. This is
    the most convenient way to install the GIMP for Windows.

    The stable version is at
    http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html and you need to
    download both the GIMP toolkit as well as the GIMP - just like it
    says. No compiling required.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:

    > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
    > wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
    > experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
    > does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
    > shot photos)
    > THX

    Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It seems
    easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found anything missing
    from it.

    I also use GIMP on Linux (it comes precompiled). It's very powerful too,
    but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
    --
    Gerry Wheeler
    Naples, FL

    Gerry Wheeler typed:

    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >> THX
    >
    > Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It
    > seems easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found
    > anything missing from it.
    >
    > I also use GIMP on Linux (it comes precompiled). It's very powerful
    > too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.

    Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
    Linux...precompiled Gimp... :-)
    I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
    damn...tooooooo long!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    SleeperMan wrote:

    > Gerry Wheeler typed:
    >
    >> too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
    >
    > Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
    > Linux...precompiled Gimp... :-)
    > I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
    > damn...tooooooo long!
    I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little more
    specific?
    --

    Have a nice day, 8:)
    Josef G.; Linux Counter UserID: 52525

    Josef G. typed:

    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >> Gerry Wheeler typed:
    >>
    >>> too, but I'm not as familiar with its menus so I sometimes get lost.
    >>
    >> Yeah, lucky one... I guess this is the only good thing in
    >> Linux...precompiled Gimp... :-)
    >> I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to
    >> compile... damn...tooooooo long!
    > I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little
    > more specific?

    I didn't compile. I just read info about installing on official site and
    they say it's more than 300.000 lines to compile which takes more than 30
    minutes. But the main problem is compiling - i don't have C compiler, and if
    i install that installer from arnes.si...it doesn't help me nothing.
    I'm missing something here...maybe a compiled program.... :-)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:11:10 +0300, "Josef G." <ns_golojo@yahoo.com>
    was understood to have stated the following:

    >> I searched a bit and supposely it takes 1/2 to 1 hour!!! to compile...
    >> damn...tooooooo long!
    >I didn't understand what took u so long to compile. Can u be a little more
    >specific?

    A textile image processing suite I authored and maintained took about
    45 minutes for a full build.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I have both PSP v7 and Photoshop Elements v2.

    Adobe product start so slooowwwwww. I get mad at it before its running.
    once its going its OK.
    Adobe does somethings better than PSP. I think PSP is easier to use.

    The only pics that I commonly need to touch up are panoramics...

    --Jay

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But i
    > wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
    > experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc. And
    > does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
    > shot photos)
    > THX

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Gerry Wheeler" <gwheelerz@qolpublishing.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    > > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos. But
    > > wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone has any
    > > experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness, saturation, etc.
    And
    > > does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For removing noise in lowlight
    > > shot photos)
    > > THX
    >
    > Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It seems
    > easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found anything missing
    > from it.
    > Gerry Wheeler
    > Naples, FL

    PSP has the fasted graphics browser I've used. It's a great programme. But
    Phtotoshop Elements, much cheaper than PhotoShopPro, has the best 'Enhance'
    mode I've used. So, heck, I use PSP v 5.0 for pic file browsing, and
    Photoshop elemsents for enhancing etc.The latter is really a cut-down
    version of PhototoShop pro, but without all the bells and whisltes that
    amateurs just don't use anyway.

    Eddie
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    user@hotmail.com typed:

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
    >> Tallis Travis Talbert typed:
    >>
    >>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Another alternative you may want to try is Gimp. It's cross
    >>> paltform, free, very stable and has an excellent collection of
    >>> filters. It's at: http://www.gimp.org/
    >>
    >> Too complicated...i would need c compiler and god know what
    >> else...they say it can be found compiled version. But i don't find
    >> it.
    >>

    > http://www.gimp.org/windows/
    > tells you:
    >
    > Getting and Installing the GIMP
    >
    > This site, www.gimp.org, only distributes the source code to the GIMP
    > (the building blocks). You can download executable versions from the
    > following site:
    >
    > * Jernej Simoncic ( http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ )provides
    > an installer program that automates the installation process. This is
    > the most convenient way to install the GIMP for Windows.
    >
    > The stable version is at
    > http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html and you need to
    > download both the GIMP toolkit as well as the GIMP - just like it
    > says. No compiling required.

    AHA! I saw toolkit and installed it - but didn''t see program below. Thanks.
    I'll try again.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Eddie typed:

    > "Gerry Wheeler" <gwheelerz@qolpublishing.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:39:41 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my
    >>> photos. But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job?
    >>> Does anyone has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting
    >>> brightness, saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal
    >>> tool? (For removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >>> THX
    >>
    >> Stick with PSP. I've used both, and I prefer PSP over Photoshop. It
    >> seems easier to use, it starts up faster, and I haven't found
    >> anything missing from it.
    >> Gerry Wheeler
    >> Naples, FL
    >>

    > PSP has the fasted graphics browser I've used. It's a great
    > programme. But Phtotoshop Elements, much cheaper than PhotoShopPro,
    > has the best 'Enhance' mode I've used. So, heck, I use PSP v 5.0 for
    > pic file browsing, and Photoshop elemsents for enhancing etc.The
    > latter is really a cut-down version of PhototoShop pro, but without
    > all the bells and whisltes that amateurs just don't use anyway.
    >
    > Eddie

    I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with filters for
    photos, like BW correction, color, contrast ...correction. I don't need
    those for all photos, just some come out not so good and need to be
    corrected. I think PSP (especially V8) has some very good photo filters. I
    just wonder if Photoshop has better ones...
    I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    jay typed:

    > I have both PSP v7 and Photoshop Elements v2.
    >
    > Adobe product start so slooowwwwww. I get mad at it before its
    > running. once its going its OK.

    I know this from Acrobat...oh well :-((

    > Adobe does somethings better than PSP. I think PSP is easier to use.

    I like that automatic filters in PSP. Easy and good done.

    > The only pics that I commonly need to touch up are panoramics...
    >
    > --Jay
    >
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >>THX
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    Basiltoo typed:

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
    >
    >> And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >
    > http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/

    Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics say...
    Thanks!
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    SleeperMan typed:

    > Basiltoo typed:
    >
    >> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
    >>
    >>> And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >>> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >>
    >> http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/
    >
    > Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
    > say... Thanks!

    THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
    removed so good and details preserved?
    Many thanks again, Basiltoo!
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:24:22 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

    >SleeperMan typed:
    >
    >> Basiltoo typed:
    >>
    >>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in

    >>> http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/
    >>
    >> Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
    >> say... Thanks!
    >
    >THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
    >removed so good and details preserved?

    with the Neatimage prog ..
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    > Eddie typed:
    >
    > I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with filters for
    > photos, like BW correction, color, contrast ...correction. I don't need
    > those for all photos, just some come out not so good and need to be
    > corrected. I think PSP (especially V8) has some very good photo filters. I
    > just wonder if Photoshop has better ones...
    > I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.

    When I refer to browsing, I do in the context of searching through pic
    folders for the one that you want. Heck, when you've downloaded a couple of
    hundred form the digital cam, it takes quite some time for Photoshop
    Elements to 'browse' the folder, and rather clumsy too. PSP is super, find
    the pic very quickly and do with it what you want.

    Eddie
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Eddie typed:

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> Eddie typed:
    >>
    >> I don't use PSP for browsing, i just need a good program with
    >> filters for photos, like BW correction, color, contrast
    >> ...correction. I don't need those for all photos, just some come out
    >> not so good and need to be corrected. I think PSP (especially V8)
    >> has some very good photo filters. I just wonder if Photoshop has
    >> better ones...
    >> I guess i will grab a trial and check it out.
    >>
    > When I refer to browsing, I do in the context of searching through pic
    > folders for the one that you want. Heck, when you've downloaded a
    > couple of hundred form the digital cam, it takes quite some time for
    > Photoshop Elements to 'browse' the folder, and rather clumsy too. PSP
    > is super, find the pic very quickly and do with it what you want.
    >
    > Eddie

    i never did browse with PSP - i normally use explorer. I'll try PSP once and
    see.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    imbsysop typed:

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:24:22 +0200, "SleeperMan"
    > <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
    >
    >> SleeperMan typed:
    >>
    >>> Basiltoo typed:

    >>> Yeah! It looks nice! I'll get it and see if really works like pics
    >>> say... Thanks!
    >>
    >> THIS is DA THING i wanted! It really rocks! I mean - how can noise be
    >> removed so good and details preserved?
    >
    > with the Neatimage prog ..

    Slow, but even greater result... THANKS
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    SleeperMan wrote:
    > For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    > But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    > has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    > saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    > removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    > THX

    Photoshop wins hands down on features, including the ability in PS CS to
    remove digital noise, but the price tag is substantially higher - roughly
    $500 US difference between the two products. Enough to get a very nice
    digital camera. If your budget is limited, I wouldn't have much problem
    making that choice.

    Support is more open and responsive from PSP as well - for example PSP folks
    actively participate in the news groups and respond helpfully and
    courteously to questions.

    If you can afford it, though, Photoshop is still king, and most if not all
    of your support questions can be handled in alt.graphics.photoshop, if you
    don't mind getting flamed now and them.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    Even though I use photoshop 8 to 10 hours a day do not leave corel out of
    the mix photo paint is much less expensive and very very powerful software.
    My customers seem to think name is everything so for me paintshop is what I
    send off to the printers.
    Jim

    ---
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I have two copies of Corel 3 my father and I bought years agio. It was so
    muddle-headed with it's features I deletee the thing and wasted $500. The
    paint programme looked OK back then but I was disgusted with the whole
    thing.

    "3dog" <jim@ihatespam.com> wrote in message
    > Even though I use photoshop 8 to 10 hours a day do not leave corel out of
    > the mix photo paint is much less expensive and very very powerful
    software.
    > My customers seem to think name is everything so for me paintshop is what
    > send off to the printers.
    > Jim
    >

    > ---

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Mike Russell typed:

    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >> For now i use Paint Shop Pro (ver 8) to correct or modify my photos.
    >> But i wonder, is Adobe's Photoshop better for this job? Does anyone
    >> has any experience? I mean stuff like correcting brightness,
    >> saturation, etc. And does anyone have any noise removal tool? (For
    >> removing noise in lowlight shot photos)
    >> THX
    >
    > Photoshop wins hands down on features, including the ability in PS CS
    > to remove digital noise, but the price tag is substantially higher -
    > roughly $500 US difference between the two products. Enough to get a
    > very nice digital camera. If your budget is limited, I wouldn't have
    > much problem making that choice.
    >
    > Support is more open and responsive from PSP as well - for example
    > PSP folks actively participate in the news groups and respond
    > helpfully and courteously to questions.
    >
    > If you can afford it, though, Photoshop is still king, and most if
    > not all of your support questions can be handled in
    > alt.graphics.photoshop, if you don't mind getting flamed now and them.

    I've got PS trial and i'll try it out. But, as you say, since it's so big
    difference in price, i think i'll stay with PSP for now...
    Thanks for reply

Cameras Photoshop PlayStation Peripherals