Bypass windows xp login password

I had a laptop with win xp home on it! But it has give up and i have got a
new system!
When i slave the laptop drive to my system, i can access all files except
for my docs which is password protected! When i click to open the folder it
says Access Denied!
I have tried booting from the HDD but it wont load, just blue screens and
freezes.
How can i remove or disable the password so i can copy over my files?
2 answers Last reply
More about bypass windows login password

    David McClean wrote:

    > I had a laptop with win xp home on it! But it has give up and i have
    > got a new system!
    > When i slave the laptop drive to my system, i can access all files
    > except
    > for my docs which is password protected! When i click to open the
    > folder it says Access Denied!
    > I have tried booting from the HDD but it wont load, just blue screens
    > and freezes.
    > How can i remove or disable the password so i can copy over my files?

    You can try and take ownership:

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    If that doesn't work (and I suspect it won't), you can boot the laptop
    with Knoppix and copy the files off that way. Knoppix is a Linux distro
    on a live cd. You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which
    is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your
    data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet
    connection and third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso
    from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then boot with it and
    it will be able to see the Windows files. If you will be using the usb
    thumb drive to copy your data, plug it in before you boot the system
    with Knoppix. Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to burn the files
    to cd/dvd-r's.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I have had similar problems and want to bypass password, I need access to
    files in settings and documents that are not available to me since I re
    installed windows. I do not even get a window to type in the password just
    an access denied poster.

    regards

    John
    "David McClean" <David McClean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had a laptop with win xp home on it! But it has give up and i have got
    > new system!
    > When i slave the laptop drive to my system, i can access all files except
    > for my docs which is password protected! When i click to open the folder
    it
    > says Access Denied!
    > I have tried booting from the HDD but it wont load, just blue screens and
    > freezes.
    > How can i remove or disable the password so i can copy over my files?

Laptops Login Windows XP