Remove User from Domain, Add to Workgroup, Can't login

I use a laptop which I configured so that my user account was a member of a
company network domain. I'm no longer doing work for the company or on their
network.
I repointed my user account from the domain to the workgroup name of my home
network.
On restart, the sign-on does not recognize my password.
To make matters worse, it does not recognize the administrator password
either.
What can I do short of re-installing Windows XP pro & losing all contents of
my hard drive?
--
Thanks!
6 answers Last reply

    DoubleACL wrote:

    > I use a laptop which I configured so that my user account was a member
    > of a
    > company network domain. I'm no longer doing work for the company or
    > on their network.
    > I repointed my user account from the domain to the workgroup name of
    > my home network.
    > On restart, the sign-on does not recognize my password.
    > To make matters worse, it does not recognize the administrator
    > password either.
    > What can I do short of re-installing Windows XP pro & losing all
    > contents of my hard drive?

    When you disjoined your computer from the domain, you lost the access to
    the domain user account. You will need to log in with a *local*
    administrator account. Then you'll be able to copy over your domain
    user's data before deleting the account. If you don't know your local
    administrator password and cannot get it from your former company's IT
    Dept., then use NTpasswd to change the local administrator account
    password to a blank.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Where do you go to "copy over your domain user's data before deleting the
    account" ?
    --
    Thanks!

    DoubleACL wrote:

    > Where do you go to "copy over your domain user's data before deleting
    > the account" ?

    Copy a User Account -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    This was successful. It's been 30 days since I've done this and now on
    startup I'm being told my password is going to expire in 12 days. I'm not
    using domains, just workgroups, and I only have one account so normally it
    just boots up to the desktop. What password is it talking about?
    --
    Thanks!

    DoubleACL wrote:

    > This was successful. It's been 30 days since I've done this and now
    > on
    > startup I'm being told my password is going to expire in 12 days. I'm
    > not using domains, just workgroups, and I only have one account so
    > normally it
    > just boots up to the desktop. What password is it talking about?

    This is a leftover from when your computer was being used at your
    company. Since you chose not to do the recommended thing of a clean
    install to remove all traces of your company's setup, you are going to
    run into situations like this. Here's a very good explanation and fix
    for the password expiration issue:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/password_expiration_policy.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    Malke, I have similar problem, a bit worse. In addition to above problem (change domain), since I tried my password (unsuccessfully) more than 3 times, it's locked. I don't know my company admin's password either. When I use F8 to try to go to "Safe Mode" (or any of those modes), it asks for password. I have all my files on the hard drive, I can't afford to lose them. Plus, I use Win2K. Is there any way to recover?

    Also, you mentioned about "NTpasswd" - what is it? Do u mean Network Password? How do I find that password? I appreciate anyone's help.

    Tim

Domain Login Microsoft Windows XP