Remove User from Domain, Add to Workgroup, Can't login

June 2, 2005 10:23:27 AM

I use a laptop which I configured so that my user account was a member of a
company network domain. I'm no longer doing work for the company or on their
network.
I repointed my user account from the domain to the workgroup name of my home
network.
On restart, the sign-on does not recognize my password.
To make matters worse, it does not recognize the administrator password
either.
What can I do short of re-installing Windows XP pro & losing all contents of
my hard drive?
--
Thanks!
June 2, 2005 10:48:13 AM

DoubleACL wrote:

> I use a laptop which I configured so that my user account was a member
> of a
> company network domain. I'm no longer doing work for the company or
> on their network.
> I repointed my user account from the domain to the workgroup name of
> my home network.
> On restart, the sign-on does not recognize my password.
> To make matters worse, it does not recognize the administrator
> password either.
> What can I do short of re-installing Windows XP pro & losing all
> contents of my hard drive?

When you disjoined your computer from the domain, you lost the access to
the domain user account. You will need to log in with a *local*
administrator account. Then you'll be able to copy over your domain
user's data before deleting the account. If you don't know your local
administrator password and cannot get it from your former company's IT
Dept., then use NTpasswd to change the local administrator account
password to a blank.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Where do you go to "copy over your domain user's data before deleting the
account" ?
--
Thanks!

"Malke" wrote:

> When you disjoined your computer from the domain, you lost the access to
> the domain user account. You will need to log in with a *local*
> administrator account. Then you'll be able to copy over your domain
> user's data before deleting the account. If you don't know your local
> administrator password and cannot get it from your former company's IT
> Dept., then use NTpasswd to change the local administrator account
> password to a blank.
>
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 2, 2005 9:38:01 AM

This was successful. It's been 30 days since I've done this and now on
startup I'm being told my password is going to expire in 12 days. I'm not
using domains, just workgroups, and I only have one account so normally it
just boots up to the desktop. What password is it talking about?
--
Thanks!

"Malke" wrote:

> DoubleACL wrote:
>
> > Where do you go to "copy over your domain user's data before deleting
> > the account" ?
>
> Copy a User Account -
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 3, 2005 11:59:08 AM

DoubleACL wrote:

> This was successful. It's been 30 days since I've done this and now
> on
> startup I'm being told my password is going to expire in 12 days. I'm
> not using domains, just workgroups, and I only have one account so
> normally it
> just boots up to the desktop. What password is it talking about?

This is a leftover from when your computer was being used at your
company. Since you chose not to do the recommended thing of a clean
install to remove all traces of your company's setup, you are going to
run into situations like this. Here's a very good explanation and fix
for the password expiration issue:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/password_expiration_policy....

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
October 31, 2013 11:09:33 AM

8593029,0,89070 said:

Malke, I have similar problem, a bit worse. In addition to above problem (change domain), since I tried my password (unsuccessfully) more than 3 times, it's locked. I don't know my company admin's password either. When I use F8 to try to go to "Safe Mode" (or any of those modes), it asks for password. I have all my files on the hard drive, I can't afford to lose them. Plus, I use Win2K. Is there any way to recover?

Also, you mentioned about "NTpasswd" - what is it? Do u mean Network Password? How do I find that password? I appreciate anyone's help.

Tim
!