ATITool Max Core and Mem settings

Folks, Some while back I bought a Powercolor 9800Pro 128MB, 256bit, 8
pipelines...or so I thought.

Turns out its running at 325/290 instead of 380/340.. but it definitely
is a 128MB, 256bit, 8 p/l enabled board (R350 GPU), so I have been
swindled a bit but considering the price I got it for, that isnt the
grumble here.

Using ATITool, it appears I can crank the GPU up to 380, but the memory
fails at about 320. So my question is this....

Is there any recommendation as to what I should set the GPU/Mem clocks
to if I choose to overclock it (from 325/290) ?

e.g. Let say I set the memory to 315, then is it recommended that I DONT
set the GPU to 380, for whatever the reason? Any recommended ratios,
etc, etc.

TIA

Ginga

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Gingangooli wrote:
> Folks, Some while back I bought a Powercolor 9800Pro 128MB, 256bit, 8
> pipelines...or so I thought.
>
> Turns out its running at 325/290 instead of 380/340.. but it definitely
> is a 128MB, 256bit, 8 p/l enabled board (R350 GPU), so I have been
> swindled a bit but considering the price I got it for, that isnt the
> grumble here.

I believe the 9800 vanilla runs at those clocks.Check it out a little on
the net.

Glitch wrote:
> Gingangooli wrote:
>
>> Folks, Some while back I bought a Powercolor 9800Pro 128MB, 256bit, 8
>> pipelines...or so I thought.
>>
>> Turns out its running at 325/290 instead of 380/340.. but it
>> definitely is a 128MB, 256bit, 8 p/l enabled board (R350 GPU), so I
>> have been swindled a bit but considering the price I got it for, that
>> isnt the grumble here.
>

> I believe the 9800 vanilla runs at those clocks.Check it out a little on
> the net.

Correct !

But that wasnt my question. Like I said someone somewhere "pulled at
fast one" i.e. the retailer or wholesaler did a little bit of "box
decoration" to turn a 9800 to a 9800Pro.... and I fell for it, but I
still got a good deal money-wise, so Im not concerned about that.

IT was the usage of ATITool to set the clocks that concerned me more.

Thanks anyway

Ginga

Gingangooli wrote:
> Glitch wrote:
>
>> Gingangooli wrote:
>>
>>> Folks, Some while back I bought a Powercolor 9800Pro 128MB, 256bit, 8
>>> pipelines...or so I thought.
>>>
>>> Turns out its running at 325/290 instead of 380/340.. but it
>>> definitely is a 128MB, 256bit, 8 p/l enabled board (R350 GPU), so I
>>> have been swindled a bit but considering the price I got it for, that
>>> isnt the grumble here.
>>

>> I believe the 9800 vanilla runs at those clocks.Check it out a little
>> on the net.
>

> Correct !
>
> But that wasnt my question. Like I said someone somewhere "pulled at
> fast one" i.e. the retailer or wholesaler did a little bit of "box
> decoration" to turn a 9800 to a 9800Pro.... and I fell for it, but I
> still got a good deal money-wise, so Im not concerned about that.
>
> IT was the usage of ATITool to set the clocks that concerned me more.
>
> Thanks anyway
>
> Ginga

Just incase anyone is interested in "how" I got duped....hopefully this
url will show you a photo of the box the card came in:
http://tinyurl.com/5mpt8

:-(

Nope, no ratios, no sync, nada. Just crank up the core and memory separately
to their respective maximums before any artifacts can be seen.

"Gingangooli" <aintusingemail@thisplace.net> wrote in message
> e.g. Let say I set the memory to 315, then is it recommended that I DONT
> set the GPU to 380, for whatever the reason? Any recommended ratios,
> etc, etc.
>
> TIA
>
> Ginga

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Gingangooli" <aintusingemail@thisplace.net> wrote in message
> Folks, Some while back I bought a Powercolor 9800Pro 128MB, 256bit, 8
> pipelines...or so I thought.
>
> Turns out its running at 325/290 instead of 380/340.. but it definitely is
> a 128MB, 256bit, 8 p/l enabled board (R350 GPU), so I have been swindled a
> bit but considering the price I got it for, that isnt the grumble here.
>
> Using ATITool, it appears I can crank the GPU up to 380, but the memory
> fails at about 320. So my question is this....
>
> Is there any recommendation as to what I should set the GPU/Mem clocks to
> if I choose to overclock it (from 325/290) ?
>
> e.g. Let say I set the memory to 315, then is it recommended that I DONT
> set the GPU to 380, for whatever the reason? Any recommended ratios, etc,
> etc.
>
> TIA
>
> Ginga

Do NOT just throw the speeds up to those recommended by Atitool - I tried it
with my 9700 and it gave me 370+ for the core and around 310 for the memory
but thats bollocks - I can get about 290 on the memory (from 270) and 320 on
the core. If I push it higher its ok for a while but soon shows artifacts.
My card came with heatsinks on the RAM and back of the core too so its got
plenty of cooling. Atitool is not to be trusted.