is there a conflict between AIW9800pro and certain motherb..

Is there a conflict between AIW 9800 pro and the gigabyte GA400 pro rev2
(with a nvidia GEforce 2 chip set) mainboard and/or soundblaster audigy 2
platinum sound card. I have the above cards and mainboard, 1 gb of RAM and
a 3200+ athlon XP. I have been having trouble loading the software (this is
the least of the problems). Eventualy it seems to load but always with some
error message. When it does load, I get a reasonable image (at first),
but when I run games such as Myst URU, Tomb Raider dark angel, and others,
the image starts to become unstable. I get lines and colors, that looks
like an unrecognizable plaid image. Even if I manage to end the game, the
screen does not revert back to normal untill I reboot. Sometimes even
rebooting doesn't wortk, I have to restore to some earlier date. I've tried
every version of drivers, MMCs, etc... with and without catalyst. I've tried
uninstalling all video drivers and accompanying software, I' ve tried
uninstalling video drivers, software, and deleting ATI folder. Then
reinstalling. I've uninstalled all previous drivers. A local computer
store "expert", told me that he's had problems with nvidia Chip sets and ATI
cards, but interestingly the Gigabyte manual for this mother board said that
the video card drivers that accompany this board were written by ATI... so
go figure. I now have a nvidia 6600. It works great, but I would like to
get my ATI working. Has anybody had a similar problem, and/or any
suggestions.

jdrnd

I'd check your power supply...make sure the AIW has clean power (no
splitters). I had a similiar problem - tried everything...finally changed
power supplies and fixed it. The old power supply still works great in
another computer, just not with the AIW9800.

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
"jdrnd" <jdrnd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a conflict between AIW 9800 pro and the gigabyte GA400 pro rev2
> (with a nvidia GEforce 2 chip set) mainboard and/or soundblaster audigy 2
> platinum sound card. I have the above cards and mainboard, 1 gb of RAM
> and
> a 3200+ athlon XP. I have been having trouble loading the software (this
> is
> the least of the problems). Eventualy it seems to load but always with
> some
> error message. When it does load, I get a reasonable image (at first),
> but when I run games such as Myst URU, Tomb Raider dark angel, and others,
> the image starts to become unstable. I get lines and colors, that looks
> like an unrecognizable plaid image. Even if I manage to end the game, the
> screen does not revert back to normal untill I reboot. Sometimes even
> rebooting doesn't wortk, I have to restore to some earlier date. I've
> tried
> every version of drivers, MMCs, etc... with and without catalyst. I've
> tried
> uninstalling all video drivers and accompanying software, I' ve tried
> uninstalling video drivers, software, and deleting ATI folder. Then
> reinstalling. I've uninstalled all previous drivers. A local computer
> store "expert", told me that he's had problems with nvidia Chip sets and
> ATI
> cards, but interestingly the Gigabyte manual for this mother board said
> that
> the video card drivers that accompany this board were written by ATI... so
> go figure. I now have a nvidia 6600. It works great, but I would like to
> get my ATI working. Has anybody had a similar problem, and/or any
> suggestions.
>
> jdrnd

I will try again without a splitter. The power supply is an antec 430 watt,
so I assume its okay. Thanks for the advice.
jdrnd

"HomeBrewer" <85cj7XXX@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'd check your power supply...make sure the AIW has clean power (no
> splitters). I had a similiar problem - tried everything...finally changed
> power supplies and fixed it. The old power supply still works great in
> another computer, just not with the AIW9800.
>
> --
> ___________________
> HomeBrewer
> http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
> http://85cj7.webhop.net/
> http://funfacts.webhop.org/
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
> of the man that's doing it."
> "jdrnd" <jdrnd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Is there a conflict between AIW 9800 pro and the gigabyte GA400 pro rev2
> > (with a nvidia GEforce 2 chip set) mainboard and/or soundblaster audigy
2
> > platinum sound card. I have the above cards and mainboard, 1 gb of RAM
> > and
> > a 3200+ athlon XP. I have been having trouble loading the software
(this
> > is
> > the least of the problems). Eventualy it seems to load but always with
> > some
> > error message. When it does load, I get a reasonable image (at
first),
> > but when I run games such as Myst URU, Tomb Raider dark angel, and
others,
> > the image starts to become unstable. I get lines and colors, that looks
> > like an unrecognizable plaid image. Even if I manage to end the game,
the
> > screen does not revert back to normal untill I reboot. Sometimes even
> > rebooting doesn't wortk, I have to restore to some earlier date. I've
> > tried
> > every version of drivers, MMCs, etc... with and without catalyst. I've
> > tried
> > uninstalling all video drivers and accompanying software, I' ve tried
> > uninstalling video drivers, software, and deleting ATI folder. Then
> > reinstalling. I've uninstalled all previous drivers. A local computer
> > store "expert", told me that he's had problems with nvidia Chip sets and
> > ATI
> > cards, but interestingly the Gigabyte manual for this mother board said
> > that
> > the video card drivers that accompany this board were written by ATI...
so
> > go figure. I now have a nvidia 6600. It works great, but I would like
> > get my ATI working. Has anybody had a similar problem, and/or any
> > suggestions.
> >
> > jdrnd

hmmm, my power supply was antec 430....now I'm using some generic 300w
without a problem.

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

I sent the same message to ATI support. They point out that Direct x9 only
supports refresh rates of 60 Hz in windows XP. I had the refresh rate set
to 75 Hz. also a person on the site "alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte" notes that
the GART drivers that come with the mainboard I'm using have some problems,
So maybe between the power supply suggestions and the above mentioned
suggestions I'll be able to get the video card working. Thanks for the
help.

jdrnd