Question about group policy and user created admin accounts.

Mike

Splendid

Is it possible to create a local group policy for a user created account that
uses admin rights? We have 4 machines in a nursing lab that uses about 20
different programs that are all dos related. The programs don't work under
user or power user rights so we created a local user account with
administrator rights and I would like put a group policy on to lock it down.
These are brand new Dell Optiplexs with Windows XP SP2.

Please visit the experts in the Group Policy newsgroup

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

> Is it possible to create a local group policy for a user created account
> that
> uses admin rights? We have 4 machines in a nursing lab that uses about 20
> different programs that are all dos related. The programs don't work
> under
> user or power user rights so we created a local user account with
> administrator rights and I would like put a group policy on to lock it
> down.
> These are brand new Dell Optiplexs with Windows XP SP2.

You could just add the users' domain accounts into each of the workstations'
"Administrators" group. This means any of those users will be administrators
on that machine. Or add "INTERACTIVE" in there and anyone who logs on will
be administrator of that machine (be careful with that though.)

Anyway, no you can't apply domain user policies to accounts that are not
part of the domain, but you could use GPEDIT.MSC locally to make some user
policies. Domain policies will override these when a domain user signs on.