TV prob with ATI AIW 9800 Radeon

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

I just installed the card mentioned in the subject line into my new P4
3.2 gig machine. This was after uninstalling my old ATI AIW 128 pro
using the ATI uninstall all software. I installed the new card and
installed software off the supplied disk.

Used it for a couple of days and went to the ATI website to update the
drivers for Doom3.
All the features (as far as I can tell) work except for the TV.
It never starts. I double click the icon and the desktop just sits
there and looks at me. It either crashes REALLY fast or it never starts.

I use this for video capture and would like it to work.
CD player, File player all work fine. Haven't tried the DVD player yet.
The MMC version I am on is 8.5.

I googled and got some info but I wanted to compare that with responses
here to determine my course of action to fix this.

Is there something I missed in this install/upgrade that prevents the TV
from working?

TIA
pic

"pickle" <pickle@iddb.net> wrote in message
> I just installed the card mentioned in the subject line into my new P4
> 3.2 gig machine. This was after uninstalling my old ATI AIW 128 pro
> using the ATI uninstall all software. I installed the new card and
> installed software off the supplied disk.
>
> Used it for a couple of days and went to the ATI website to update the
> drivers for Doom3.
> All the features (as far as I can tell) work except for the TV.
> It never starts. I double click the icon and the desktop just sits
> there and looks at me. It either crashes REALLY fast or it never starts.
>
> I use this for video capture and would like it to work.
> CD player, File player all work fine. Haven't tried the DVD player yet.
> The MMC version I am on is 8.5.
>
> I googled and got some info but I wanted to compare that with responses
> here to determine my course of action to fix this.
>
> Is there something I missed in this install/upgrade that prevents the TV
> from working?
>
> TIA
> pic

First thing I would try is doing a Repair on MMC. Easy

If that doesn't work make sure you have DX9 and Media Encoder9 installed.
Use the Cat uninstaller. Then install the individual drivers(in low
speed d/l section) starting with the WDM capture drivers(per release notes),
display drivers and control panel. Don't install CCC. Then dao-mdac, decoder
and MMC. Order of installation is important. Time consuming but should work.
HTH

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

T Shadow wrote:
> "pickle" <pickle@iddb.net> wrote in message
>
>>I just installed the card mentioned in the subject line into my new P4
>>3.2 gig machine. This was after uninstalling my old ATI AIW 128 pro
>>using the ATI uninstall all software. I installed the new card and
>>installed software off the supplied disk.
>>
>>Used it for a couple of days and went to the ATI website to update the
>>drivers for Doom3.
>>All the features (as far as I can tell) work except for the TV.
>>It never starts. I double click the icon and the desktop just sits
>>there and looks at me. It either crashes REALLY fast or it never starts.
>>
>>I use this for video capture and would like it to work.
>>CD player, File player all work fine. Haven't tried the DVD player yet.
>>The MMC version I am on is 8.5.
>>
>>I googled and got some info but I wanted to compare that with responses
>>here to determine my course of action to fix this.
>>
>>Is there something I missed in this install/upgrade that prevents the TV
>>from working?
>>
>>TIA
>>pic
>

> First thing I would try is doing a Repair on MMC. Easy
>
> If that doesn't work make sure you have DX9 and Media Encoder9 installed.
> Use the Cat uninstaller. Then install the individual drivers(in low
> speed d/l section) starting with the WDM capture drivers(per release notes),
> display drivers and control panel. Don't install CCC. Then dao-mdac, decoder
> and MMC. Order of installation is important. Time consuming but should work.
> HTH

I do have DX9 installed. I do not have Media encoder installed that I
am aware of. I never cousiously installed it. It may have installed
with another module. I'll have to check on that.
I'll follow your steps and see what happens.
Thank you Shadow.
pic

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

T Shadow wrote:
> "pickle" <pickle@iddb.net> wrote in message

> First thing I would try is doing a Repair on MMC. Easy
>
> If that doesn't work make sure you have DX9 and Media Encoder9 installed.
> Use the Cat uninstaller. Then install the individual drivers(in low
> speed d/l section) starting with the WDM capture drivers(per release notes),
> display drivers and control panel. Don't install CCC. Then dao-mdac, decoder
> and MMC. Order of installation is important. Time consuming but should work.
> HTH

The CCC that you mention (Catalyst Control Center),
Is that what ATI refers to as Catalyst 4.10?
I thought you needed that.

Anyway, I just downloaded from ATI and Microsoft:
Cat uninstaller
Control Panel
DAO MDAC
DirectX9 (I think this is already installed)
Display drivers
DVD Encoder
MMC
WDM capture drivers
Windows Media Encoder

All from the web sites so should be the latest and greatest of all.
I'll write everything to a disk (along with your directions)so next time
I have to do an install (It IS windows after all), I'll have it all ready.

Jeepers.

> The CCC that you mention (Catalyst Control Center),
> Is that what ATI refers to as Catalyst 4.10?
> I thought you needed that.

CCC is one of the components of the Cat release.
If you look at the download page you'll notice at the top is a High Speed
D/L section and you can get either a package with or without CCC. These are
bundles. Then lower on the page is Low Speed (dial up) section. This is the
individual components of the Cat release.

CCC in the individual components is
wxp-CATALYST-CONTROL-CENTER-204555c-english.exe
It's a new control panel that requires .NET. Lots of people have had
problems with it and it isn't needed. I would suggest you wait until your
set up is working to try adding it.

You want to d/l the 3 file seperately so you can install the capture drivers
before the display drivers.

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

T Shadow wrote:
> "pickle" <pickle@iddb.net> wrote in message
>

>>The CCC that you mention (Catalyst Control Center),
>>Is that what ATI refers to as Catalyst 4.10?
>>I thought you needed that.
>>

> CCC is one of the components of the Cat release.
> If you look at the download page you'll notice at the top is a High Speed
> D/L section and you can get either a package with or without CCC. These are
> bundles. Then lower on the page is Low Speed (dial up) section. This is the
> individual components of the Cat release.
>
> CCC in the individual components is
> wxp-CATALYST-CONTROL-CENTER-204555c-english.exe
> It's a new control panel that requires .NET. Lots of people have had
> problems with it and it isn't needed. I would suggest you wait until your
> set up is working to try adding it.
>
> You want to d/l the 3 file seperately so you can install the capture drivers
> before the display drivers.

I did get it from the low speed d/l section. It's all on my HDD waiting
for me.
I need to install XP SP2 first and I'm having issues with that so it may
be a day or two before I can get to the grafix stuff.
Stupid cable modem keeps crashing.

Thanks shadow. I have a feeling that this will fix it (Once SP2 is
installed).

TRENDING THREADS