Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does a format reset permissions?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:26:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi,

I recently recovered an older machine by resetting the drive permissions
temporarily hooked to another machine. Those had been wiped out accidentally
in a "jolly stupid" maneuvere.

While the restored PC runs fine on basic tasks, some will not run. Adobe
Premiere, Norton Ghost, MS Office reinstall.... I keep getting different
error messages all having to do with file access.

I am planning to format the system drive and reinstall the OS. I will also
move all files on the secondary drives temporarily to an external drive and
reformat them too.

I need to know if formatting resets drive permissions, so I have consistent
settings again when the system is reinstalled.

Regards and thanks in advance for any advice.

SKS
June 3, 2005 1:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

SKS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently recovered an older machine by resetting the drive
> permissions temporarily hooked to another machine. Those had been
> wiped out accidentally in a "jolly stupid" maneuvere.
>
> While the restored PC runs fine on basic tasks, some will not run.
> Adobe Premiere, Norton Ghost, MS Office reinstall.... I keep getting
> different error messages all having to do with file access.
>
> I am planning to format the system drive and reinstall the OS. I will
> also move all files on the secondary drives temporarily to an external
> drive and reformat them too.
>
> I need to know if formatting resets drive permissions, so I have
> consistent settings again when the system is reinstalled.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> SKS

A full format wipes the drive so nothing will be left*. To be sure you
completely remove everything, during XP's installation delete the
partition first, create a new one, and then install XP.

*Third-party data recovery software can recovery data from a formatted
drive, but for your purposes you can consider that nothing will be left
of the previous operating system, including its permissions.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:50:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as planned.

Regards and thanks again!

SKS


"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:eZh7GcFaFHA.1940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> SKS wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently recovered an older machine by resetting the drive
>> permissions temporarily hooked to another machine. Those had been
>> wiped out accidentally in a "jolly stupid" maneuvere.
>>
>> While the restored PC runs fine on basic tasks, some will not run.
>> Adobe Premiere, Norton Ghost, MS Office reinstall.... I keep getting
>> different error messages all having to do with file access.
>>
>> I am planning to format the system drive and reinstall the OS. I will
>> also move all files on the secondary drives temporarily to an external
>> drive and reformat them too.
>>
>> I need to know if formatting resets drive permissions, so I have
>> consistent settings again when the system is reinstalled.
>>
>> Regards and thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>> SKS
>
> A full format wipes the drive so nothing will be left*. To be sure you
> completely remove everything, during XP's installation delete the
> partition first, create a new one, and then install XP.
>
> *Third-party data recovery software can recovery data from a formatted
> drive, but for your purposes you can consider that nothing will be left
> of the previous operating system, including its permissions.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
June 3, 2005 9:53:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

SKS wrote:

> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
> planned.
>
> Regards and thanks again!
>

You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
definitions on the first connection to the Internet.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:33:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:o QQCJ$JaFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> SKS wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
>> planned.
>>
>> Regards and thanks again!
>>
>
> You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
> and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
> installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
> definitions on the first connection to the Internet.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Shouldn't SP2 be installed before the antivirus app? I've seen SP2 installs
fail because an antivirus app was installed. Some antivirus apps will
interfere even if auto-scanning is turned off.

Kerry
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:19:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks again.

I had created a SP2 Slipstreamed WinXP-Pro install CD. I normally use
Windows Firewall. I also use Norton Systemworks in full except for Norton
Antivirus. I prefer AntiVir.

I had made a data DVD with all hardware drivers as well as back-ups of all
software that I use so I can reinstall everything from one single disc -
hardware and all software. Didn't think it would come in handy so soon!
After I do all that I need to do, and update everything, I will create a
Ghost Image.

I am already up and running on that PC and will complete some software
installs tomorrow!

Cheerio!

SKS



"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:o QQCJ$JaFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> SKS wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
>> planned.
>>
>> Regards and thanks again!
>>
>
> You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
> and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
> installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
> definitions on the first connection to the Internet.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:22:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I installed the OS with a SP2 Slipstreamed install CD. I did put in AntiVir
thereafter.

:-)

SKS


"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
news:emDGpYLaFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> news:o QQCJ$JaFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> SKS wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
>>> planned.
>>>
>>> Regards and thanks again!
>>>
>>
>> You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
>> and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
>> installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
>> definitions on the first connection to the Internet.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> Shouldn't SP2 be installed before the antivirus app? I've seen SP2
> installs fail because an antivirus app was installed. Some antivirus apps
> will interfere even if auto-scanning is turned off.
>
> Kerry
>
>
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:08:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Kerry Brown wrote:

>
>
> Shouldn't SP2 be installed before the antivirus app? I've seen SP2 installs
> fail because an antivirus app was installed. Some antivirus apps will
> interfere even if auto-scanning is turned off.
>
> Kerry
>
>


Experiences vary. Personally, in several years of supporting thousands
of PCs running a variety of operating systems and different antivirus
applications, I've never seen any antivirus application cause any
installation problems for any application, patch, or service pack. This
doesn't mean, however, that a malfunctioning antivirus can't cause such
problems, just that I've never seen it.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!