Does a format reset permissions?

Hi,

I recently recovered an older machine by resetting the drive permissions
temporarily hooked to another machine. Those had been wiped out accidentally
in a "jolly stupid" maneuvere.

While the restored PC runs fine on basic tasks, some will not run. Adobe
Premiere, Norton Ghost, MS Office reinstall.... I keep getting different
error messages all having to do with file access.

I am planning to format the system drive and reinstall the OS. I will also
move all files on the secondary drives temporarily to an external drive and
reformat them too.

I need to know if formatting resets drive permissions, so I have consistent
settings again when the system is reinstalled.

Regards and thanks in advance for any advice.

SKS
7 answers Last reply
More about does format reset permissions

    SKS wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently recovered an older machine by resetting the drive
    > permissions temporarily hooked to another machine. Those had been
    > wiped out accidentally in a "jolly stupid" maneuvere.
    >
    > While the restored PC runs fine on basic tasks, some will not run.
    > Adobe Premiere, Norton Ghost, MS Office reinstall.... I keep getting
    > different error messages all having to do with file access.
    >
    > I am planning to format the system drive and reinstall the OS. I will
    > also move all files on the secondary drives temporarily to an external
    > drive and reformat them too.
    >
    > I need to know if formatting resets drive permissions, so I have
    > consistent settings again when the system is reinstalled.
    >
    > Regards and thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > SKS

    A full format wipes the drive so nothing will be left*. To be sure you
    completely remove everything, during XP's installation delete the
    partition first, create a new one, and then install XP.

    *Third-party data recovery software can recovery data from a formatted
    drive, but for your purposes you can consider that nothing will be left
    of the previous operating system, including its permissions.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as planned.

    Regards and thanks again!

    SKS

    SKS wrote:

    > Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
    > planned.
    >
    > Regards and thanks again!

    You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
    and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
    installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
    definitions on the first connection to the Internet.

    Malke
    --

    > SKS wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
    >> planned.
    >>
    >> Regards and thanks again!
    >>

    > You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
    > and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
    > installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
    > definitions on the first connection to the Internet.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Shouldn't SP2 be installed before the antivirus app? I've seen SP2 installs
    fail because an antivirus app was installed. Some antivirus apps will
    interfere even if auto-scanning is turned off.

    Kerry

    Thanks again.

    I had created a SP2 Slipstreamed WinXP-Pro install CD. I normally use
    Windows Firewall. I also use Norton Systemworks in full except for Norton
    Antivirus. I prefer AntiVir.

    I had made a data DVD with all hardware drivers as well as back-ups of all
    software that I use so I can reinstall everything from one single disc -
    hardware and all software. Didn't think it would come in handy so soon!
    After I do all that I need to do, and update everything, I will create a
    Ghost Image.

    I am already up and running on that PC and will complete some software
    installs tomorrow!

    Cheerio!

    SKS

    > SKS wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reassuring response. I shall now be proceeding as
    >> planned.
    >>
    >> Regards and thanks again!
    >>

    > You are most welcome. Make sure you have all hardware drivers on hand
    > and that you do not connect to the Internet until you have a firewall
    > installed. I usually install the antivirus also, and then update its
    > definitions on the first connection to the Internet.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I installed the OS with a SP2 Slipstreamed install CD. I did put in AntiVir
    thereafter.

    :-)

    SKS

    Kerry Brown wrote:

    > Shouldn't SP2 be installed before the antivirus app? I've seen SP2 installs
    > fail because an antivirus app was installed. Some antivirus apps will
    > interfere even if auto-scanning is turned off.
    >
    > Kerry

    Experiences vary. Personally, in several years of supporting thousands
    of PCs running a variety of operating systems and different antivirus
    applications, I've never seen any antivirus application cause any
    installation problems for any application, patch, or service pack. This
    doesn't mean, however, that a malfunctioning antivirus can't cause such
    problems, just that I've never seen it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: