A dialer keeps downloading to my computer, bypassing my security settings. I
have no trouble removing it, but each time it shows up, it has a different
identity. It installs a new connection and places websites in my "safe" list
and changes my homepage. How can I keep this from coming back? My firewall is
on and I have mcaffee and adaware.
--
drelb

drelb32,

Give a-squared Free a shot at the dialer :
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

The links to download it and set up an account are on the bottom of the
above page.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

drelb32 wrote:

> A dialer keeps downloading to my computer, bypassing my security settings. I
> have no trouble removing it, but each time it shows up, it has a different
> identity. It installs a new connection and places websites in my "safe" list
> and changes my homepage. How can I keep this from coming back? My firewall is
> on and I have mcaffee and adaware.

I downloaded and ran a-squared. While it was running, the dialer downloaded
again. Most of what was found were cookies. I ran mcafee to remove the dialer
and I will wait and see if this solves the problem.
--
drelb

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> drelb32,
>
> Give a-squared Free a shot at the dialer :
> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
>
> The links to download it and set up an account are on the bottom of the
> above page.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> drelb32 wrote:
>
> > A dialer keeps downloading to my computer, bypassing my security settings. I
> > have no trouble removing it, but each time it shows up, it has a different
> > identity. It installs a new connection and places websites in my "safe" list
> > and changes my homepage. How can I keep this from coming back? My firewall is
> > on and I have mcaffee and adaware.

Whatever is downloading the dialer is still present on the system.
a-squared Free offers no real time protection and will only remove what
is already present. Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA does offer real time
protection and may be what's needed here. As long as there isn't any
Symantec products installed then there should be no adverse effects from
giving it a crack at the dialer :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

If MWAS can not solve this then suggest you post to a forum that deals
in malware :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-f22.html
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=31f93c5355925cfc2192b5c49d352100
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=3ce3e4c9a40b25268d1bac3189d22184
http://castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html

Read the guideline of the forum of your choice prior to posting.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

drelb32 wrote:

> I downloaded and ran a-squared. While it was running, the dialer downloaded
> again. Most of what was found were cookies. I ran mcafee to remove the dialer
> and I will wait and see if this solves the problem.

So far, so good. When the programs try to overide my settings, MS antispyware
lets me block it. The dialer still showed up in my connections but since I
have DSL my modem is diabled and it won't dial. Since it has just let me take
it out. perhaps it will keep it out for good.
--
drelb

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Whatever is downloading the dialer is still present on the system.
> a-squared Free offers no real time protection and will only remove what
> is already present. Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA does offer real time
> protection and may be what's needed here. As long as there isn't any
> Symantec products installed then there should be no adverse effects from
> giving it a crack at the dialer :
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> If MWAS can not solve this then suggest you post to a forum that deals
> in malware :
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-f22.html
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=31f93c5355925cfc2192b5c49d352100
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=3ce3e4c9a40b25268d1bac3189d22184
> http://castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html
>
> Read the guideline of the forum of your choice prior to posting.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> drelb32 wrote:
>
> > I downloaded and ran a-squared. While it was running, the dialer downloaded
> > again. Most of what was found were cookies. I ran mcafee to remove the dialer
> > and I will wait and see if this solves the problem.

Do a Full system scan with all 3 boxes checked from within Safe Mode :
http://snipurl.com/dmbp
That *should* get the crud off of the system.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten