Remove Users from Safe Mode Logon

I had previously set up two administrator accounts under Windows XP
Pro. I have since changed one to a limited account and one to a Power
User account. However, both accounts are still available and active
whenever Safe Mode is entered, which is contrary to what I thought
should be the case. I would like neither of these to be available in
Safe Mode, but am not sure what needs to be changed in order to fix
this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations!

Doug
3 answers Last reply
More about remove users safe mode logon

    Doug wrote:
    > I had previously set up two administrator accounts under Windows XP
    > Pro. I have since changed one to a limited account and one to a Power
    > User account. However, both accounts are still available and active
    > whenever Safe Mode is entered, which is contrary to what I thought
    > should be the case. I would like neither of these to be available in
    > Safe Mode, but am not sure what needs to be changed in order to fix
    > this issue.

    Why would safe mode prevent these accounts from being used? Being in safe
    mode does not change what they can do.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Safe Mode is designed to provide access to all accounts. If you wish to hide
    accounts, you can do so by disabling the "start screen".

    --
    Edward Chow
    LX Technologies

    BetaID: 527771

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Doug wrote:
    > > I had previously set up two administrator accounts under Windows XP
    > > Pro. I have since changed one to a limited account and one to a Power
    > > User account. However, both accounts are still available and active
    > > whenever Safe Mode is entered, which is contrary to what I thought
    > > should be the case. I would like neither of these to be available in
    > > Safe Mode, but am not sure what needs to be changed in order to fix
    > > this issue.
    >
    > Why would safe mode prevent these accounts from being used? Being in safe
    > mode does not change what they can do.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    As shown below from Microsoft's Knowledge Base, user accounts without
    administrative privileges should not be listed in the Welcome screen
    during Safe Mode startup. I have witnessed this before, but for some
    reason it appears that once an account which has previously been given
    administrative privileges and are then removed that the Safe Mode logon
    option remains.

    Users are missing from Welcome screen in Safe Mode
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 292742
    Last Review : January 3, 2005
    Revision : 1.1
    On this page
    SUMMARY
    MORE INFORMATION
    APPLIES TO

    SUMMARY
    When you start a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer in Safe mode, if
    you have the Welcome Screen enabled, not all user accounts are
    displayed on the Welcome Screen.
    Back to the top

    MORE INFORMATION
    User accounts that do not have administrative privileges are not listed
    on the Welcome Screen. Users with Standard or Limited account types do
    not have access to start in Safe mode.

    Log on with an account that has administrative rights, perform the
    necessary maintenance. After that, start the computer normally, not in
    Safe mode, and you can log on with any user account.

Safe Mode Security Microsoft Windows XP