Do I need Norton?

I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks like
there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns me
when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I
need?
18 answers Last reply
More about norton

    figaro wrote:

    > I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home.
    > Been using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I
    > mostly used utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web
    > site it looks like there are plenty of maintenance tools that come
    > with it so I wonder if the Norton utilities are worth it. I do like
    > having the Anti-virus that warns me when one is coming in the email.
    > Does XP have a feature that will do this and update virus definitions
    > each day? Any program better and if so why? What about the firewall
    > that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I need?

    You do not need the Utilities (SystemWorks) type of program on XP. You
    must have an antivirus program. You will have a hard time finding a
    tech (including me) who will recommend Norton products any more. I use
    F-Prot on my Windows machines, but there are many other antivirus
    programs. Another popular one is EZ-Trust by Computer Associates. Your
    new computer may very well come with a trial version of either Norton
    or McAfee. You can use that for a while and see if like it. Or download
    a trial version from some other company.

    The Windows XP Firewall is OK. It does not do outbound filtering and is
    very good for users who don't want to be questioned by their firewall
    as to whether some program is allowed to access the Internet. If you
    are a more sophisticated user, then both ZoneAlarm and Sygate have good
    firewalls that are free for personal use. Only you know what kind of
    user you are. If you go for a third-party firewall, make sure you
    disable the Windows Firewall.

    In any case, do not connect a Windows machine to the Internet without a
    firewall and antivirus in place.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    figaro wrote:
    > I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
    > using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    > utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks like
    > there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
    > Norton utilities are worth it.

    Once a useful utility suite, back in the days of MS-DOS, when Peter
    Norton was more than a picture on the box, Norton Utilities have been
    becoming increasingly useless and redundant over the years. There's
    little offered by NU that WinXP cannot already do natively. And some of
    Systemworks's features, like CrashGuard and CleanSweep (if they're still
    included) cause far more problems then they prevent.

    >I do like having the Anti-virus that warns me
    > when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    > and update virus definitions each day?

    No, WinXP - like every other modern operating system - has no antivirus
    protection built-in. You'll need to add the antivirus application of
    your choice.

    Given today's widely-publicized and well-known hostile Internet
    environment, only a fool or a masochist would go on-line without both a
    firewall and antivirus protection. Such basic precautions are the
    computing equivalents of wearing seatbelt while driving or riding in an
    automobile - they're there to prevent/reduce the damage if an accident
    should occur.

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
    without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
    But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
    products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
    were acquired by Network Associates.

    > Any program better and if so why?

    When my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton Internet
    Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially higher than
    the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less expensive
    solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of GriSoft's AVG
    (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the free version of
    Sygate's Personal Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ).
    Both have proven to be easily installed, easy to use, and quite
    effective. Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised to see a small but
    very noticeable improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced
    the Symantec products.

    > What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I
    > need?

    WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
    and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
    do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
    else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
    It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
    IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
    questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
    have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
    therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
    because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
    assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
    Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "figaro" wrote:

    > I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
    > using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    > utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks like
    > there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
    > Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns me
    > when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    > and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
    > What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I
    > need?

    You don't need any third party system utilities with XP. It already has
    everything you need to maintain and optimize performance and stability. You
    will not get any improvement with third party tools, and in many cases, you
    will actually go backwards. So avoid them. Instead, learn how to maintain
    and optimize your computer using XP's own tools, especially chkdsk, Disk
    Cleanup, Disk Defragmenter, and System Event Viewer. Moreover, make sure you
    install SP2 at default settings and keep Windows fully updated.

    As for antivirus, I would recommend either Trend Micro or E-Trust, probably
    in that order. Norton is okay, but you'll take a greater performance hit.

    Ken

    I have found that Norton is not the product that many believe it is. It is
    slooooow to install and bogs down your system. In addition, it doesn't even
    do as good of a job at catching all the viruses, spyware, adware is purports
    itself to be able to catch.

    I use ZoneAlarm Pro. (which is anti-virus and firewall all in one) and it
    works like a charm.

    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > figaro wrote:
    >
    >> I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home.
    >> Been using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I
    >> mostly used utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web
    >> site it looks like there are plenty of maintenance tools that come
    >> with it so I wonder if the Norton utilities are worth it. I do like
    >> having the Anti-virus that warns me when one is coming in the email.
    >> Does XP have a feature that will do this and update virus definitions
    >> each day? Any program better and if so why? What about the firewall
    >> that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I need?
    >
    > You do not need the Utilities (SystemWorks) type of program on XP. You
    > must have an antivirus program. You will have a hard time finding a
    > tech (including me) who will recommend Norton products any more. I use
    > F-Prot on my Windows machines, but there are many other antivirus
    > programs. Another popular one is EZ-Trust by Computer Associates. Your
    > new computer may very well come with a trial version of either Norton
    > or McAfee. You can use that for a while and see if like it. Or download
    > a trial version from some other company.
    >
    > The Windows XP Firewall is OK. It does not do outbound filtering and is
    > very good for users who don't want to be questioned by their firewall
    > as to whether some program is allowed to access the Internet. If you
    > are a more sophisticated user, then both ZoneAlarm and Sygate have good
    > firewalls that are free for personal use. Only you know what kind of
    > user you are. If you go for a third-party firewall, make sure you
    > disable the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > In any case, do not connect a Windows machine to the Internet without a
    > firewall and antivirus in place.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Depending if you will be getting an OEM version of winxp, norton usually
    comes pre installed. That is, a computer company version of windowsxp.
    If you buy winxp, yes you will need to get an anti virus. Without
    trying to sound too hatefull, Norton bites. That is just my opinion
    though. It integrates into your system way too much, slows everything
    down, and defines OVERATED. The windows firewall will get you through
    but i do recommend zone alarm. Also Fix it utilities is an awsome all
    in one, registry cleaner, editor, defrag, disk fix, cleaner, and most
    of all, Anti virus. You can find it for around 30 to 35 dollars and
    unlike Norton, you only have to update\buy new version about every 4
    years. I have used it for 6 years and it's awesome. Norton wants you to
    buy buy and buy, Bye Bye! There are free anti virus programs also but
    fix it anti virus is awesome.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    I have used Noton Utilities and Anti Virus since the first release of Windows
    95.

    I stopped using it at the time of the release of Windows XP.

    1. It slows down the boot up process so much as to be a nuisance
    2. It offers nothing better than found in XP itslef and Freeware Anti Viru
    such as AVG Free
    3. I have found that when attempting to uninstall or reinstall the software
    on other machines, well it's quicker to rebuild!

    As you can see, once I loved them now I H8 the products.

    However Ghost is a great product to buy for disk imaging / backup of your
    whole hard disk drive.

    "PCDaddy" wrote:

    > Depending if you will be getting an OEM version of winxp, norton usually
    > comes pre installed. That is, a computer company version of windowsxp.
    > If you buy winxp, yes you will need to get an anti virus. Without
    > trying to sound too hatefull, Norton bites. That is just my opinion
    > though. It integrates into your system way too much, slows everything
    > down, and defines OVERATED. The windows firewall will get you through
    > but i do recommend zone alarm. Also Fix it utilities is an awsome all
    > in one, registry cleaner, editor, defrag, disk fix, cleaner, and most
    > of all, Anti virus. You can find it for around 30 to 35 dollars and
    > unlike Norton, you only have to update\buy new version about every 4
    > years. I have used it for 6 years and it's awesome. Norton wants you to
    > buy buy and buy, Bye Bye! There are free anti virus programs also but
    > fix it anti virus is awesome.
    >

    > --
    > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    You are partially correct that XP has some maintainance utitlites. Further,
    my own experience with Norton is that some of utilites/features are "greyed
    out" under XP, but work fine under 98 (and probably ME).

    Of all the utilites available with Norton System Works 2003, the only one I
    still use with any frequency is call "WinDoctor", which checks the registry
    for errors and fixes them.

    The Norton disk checker seems to do no more than the XP utility called
    CHKDSK, which you can run from the recovery console on the XP CD, or from
    within XP, although a reboot is usually required for the utility to do its
    job. Info on the recovery console:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

    The Norton defragger is also somewhat faster than the XP defragger (a lite
    version of Diskeeper), but I have found that a competing product called
    PerfectDisk is faster still (after the first usage).

    The Norton disk cleaner seems no better than the one built into XP, and
    there are several freeware cleaners than are superior to either. My
    favorite is CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Additionally, this program
    has some registry cleaning capabilites, but I have not used those options.

    The Norton unerase wizard does a lot less under XP than it did under 98 (and
    probaly under ME). ince I have FAT32 partitions, I keep a old Norton
    Utilities CD around for recovery ouside of XP. There are also some freeware
    programs that can recover files under XP. PCInspector is pretty good:
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    Under win98, Norton used to have its oen registry editor, with backup
    capabilities. nder XP i has none, so I use XP's own REGEDIT utility. I
    also use a registry backup/restore utility call WinRescueXP. Additioanlly,
    I occassionally make a partition image (all of C:). For this I used to use
    Norton GHOST, but hae founf Acronis True Image more convenient, faster, and
    more reliable when external USB and firewire dvices are used as places to
    store an image.

    As for antivirus, you **MUST** have one of those, since XP come without any
    antivirus program. I like Norton, but others swear by McAfee.
    Additionally, there are several free antivirus programs. Check the
    downloads offerred at an info page called Major Geeks:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/

    As for a firewall, that is a good idea with dialup and essentially a
    requirement with broadband. The XP firewall is better than nothing, but it
    only blocks incoming attacks. It does not prevent unauthorized programs
    that sneak onto your PC from sending information out. The Norton firewall
    is pretty good, and protects both ways. However, I prefer a freeware
    product call Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    You will need to wander through a few pages that offer non-free software to
    find the free download. After that is installed, it will ask once whether
    you want to upgrade to a non-free version with more capabilities and/or its
    own antivirus. Note that as with any two-way firewall, you will need to
    "train" it to allow some programs to contact the internet. The Zone Alarm
    popups are easy to understand and you can check "always" before clicking
    aloow or deny. You can also manally change setings from a convenient
    screen. If you continue to deal with Norton/Symantec, you may need to
    manually add their web address (www.symantec.com) in the Zone Alarm list of
    trusted sites in order for the LiveUpdate feature of Norton to funcion
    correctly.

    "figaro" <mail@umfleet.net> wrote in message
    >I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
    > using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    > utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks
    > like
    > there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
    > Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns
    > me
    > when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    > and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
    > What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all
    > need?

    To counter what BAR has posted;

    I maintain a medium sized network approaching 300 computers. Norton is
    installed on each. I also have it installed on my 5 home computers. In no
    instance has it slowed downs the boot process on any of these machines.

    Norton offers more frequent updates, worm scanning, and a heuristic pattern
    recognition engine that is not offered by AVG or Avast.

    There is an uninstall utility on the Symantec website that will completely
    remove an installation of any Norton product from version 2003 and above.

    So, as you can see, there are many sides to each issue.

    Bobby

    >I have used Noton Utilities and Anti Virus since the first release of
    >Windows
    > 95.
    >
    > I stopped using it at the time of the release of Windows XP.
    >
    > 1. It slows down the boot up process so much as to be a nuisance
    > 2. It offers nothing better than found in XP itslef and Freeware Anti
    > Viru
    > such as AVG Free
    > 3. I have found that when attempting to uninstall or reinstall the
    > software
    > on other machines, well it's quicker to rebuild!
    >
    > As you can see, once I loved them now I H8 the products.
    >
    > However Ghost is a great product to buy for disk imaging / backup of your
    > whole hard disk drive.
    >
    > "PCDaddy" wrote:
    >

    >> Depending if you will be getting an OEM version of winxp, norton usually
    >> comes pre installed. That is, a computer company version of windowsxp.
    >> If you buy winxp, yes you will need to get an anti virus. Without
    >> trying to sound too hatefull, Norton bites. That is just my opinion
    >> though. It integrates into your system way too much, slows everything
    >> down, and defines OVERATED. The windows firewall will get you through
    >> but i do recommend zone alarm. Also Fix it utilities is an awsome all
    >> in one, registry cleaner, editor, defrag, disk fix, cleaner, and most
    >> of all, Anti virus. You can find it for around 30 to 35 dollars and
    >> unlike Norton, you only have to update\buy new version about every 4
    >> years. I have used it for 6 years and it's awesome. Norton wants you to
    >> buy buy and buy, Bye Bye! There are free anti virus programs also but
    >> fix it anti virus is awesome.
    >>

    >> --
    >> PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    "figaro" <mail@umfleet.net> wrote in message
    >I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
    > using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    > utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks
    > like
    > there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
    > Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns
    > me
    > when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    > and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
    > What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all
    > need?

    Make sure you have a firewall up and running prior to plugging in your
    internet
    connection? If you don't, you will likely be "infected" within seconds to a
    couple of minutes after you turn on your computer - even though you never go
    to a web site. If you are on a dial up connection as opposed to DSL or cable
    you are a bit safer - marginally!

    Install a GOOD firewall - one that blocks unwanted outbound traffic as well
    as unwanted inbound traffic. Then when something tries to connect, out of
    the ordinary, you will be flagged. At that point you can disallow that
    particular instance either once or permanently.

    If you want a better firewall than the one that is supplied with Windows XP,
    ZoneAlarm (free) from
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=nav_za

    You will want to keep your system free of infestations of viruses, spyware,
    dialers, key
    loggers etc.

    HINT: Don't ever go clicking things just because a web site, e-mail, popup
    or
    rogue desktop background tells you to! If you are not 101% certain what an
    action will
    do - don't perform that action.

    Download, install, update and frequently run the following:

    If you don't have any antivirus installed, AVG Antivirus (free) from
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    Ad-Aware (free) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

    SpyBot Search and Destroy (free) from

    Microsoft Anti Spyware (free) from

    And exercise control over your clicking finger!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    And by the way, nobody needs Norton. I say this although I have every
    version of either Norton Utilities, Norton SystemWorks and Norton AntiVirus
    available for the past 12 years, up to NSW 2005.

    I have changed over to ZoneAlarm Security Suite and unless they it screw up,
    I am never going back!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "figaro" <mail@umfleet.net> wrote in message
    >>I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home.
    >>Been
    >> using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    >> utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks
    >> like
    >> there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if
    >> the
    >> Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns
    >> me
    >> when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    >> and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
    >> What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all
    >> need?
    >>

    > Make sure you have a firewall up and running prior to plugging in your
    > internet
    > connection? If you don't, you will likely be "infected" within seconds to
    > couple of minutes after you turn on your computer - even though you never
    > go to a web site. If you are on a dial up connection as opposed to DSL or
    > cable you are a bit safer - marginally!
    >
    > Install a GOOD firewall - one that blocks unwanted outbound traffic as
    > well
    > as unwanted inbound traffic. Then when something tries to connect, out of
    > the ordinary, you will be flagged. At that point you can disallow that
    > particular instance either once or permanently.
    >
    > If you want a better firewall than the one that is supplied with Windows
    > XP,
    > ZoneAlarm (free) from
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=nav_za
    >

    > You will want to keep your system free of infestations of viruses,
    > spyware, dialers, key
    > loggers etc.
    >
    > HINT: Don't ever go clicking things just because a web site, e-mail, popup
    > or
    > rogue desktop background tells you to! If you are not 101% certain what an
    > action will
    > do - don't perform that action.
    >
    > Download, install, update and frequently run the following:
    >
    > If you don't have any antivirus installed, AVG Antivirus (free) from
    > http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    >
    > Ad-Aware (free) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > SpyBot Search and Destroy (free) from
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >
    > Microsoft Anti Spyware (free) from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >
    > And exercise control over your clicking finger!
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > To counter what BAR has posted;
    >
    > I maintain a medium sized network approaching 300 computers. Norton is
    > installed on each. I also have it installed on my 5 home computers. In no
    > instance has it slowed downs the boot process on any of these machines.

    Are you actually using the consumer-grade Norton Anti-virus on a
    corporate LAN, or are you using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition?
    There's a vast difference between the two products, and the way they
    behave; their respective impact upon a PC's performance isn't at all the
    same. (I support a somewhat larger LAN (4200 workstations) using
    SAV-CE, with no problems, but wouldn't recommend the home product to
    anyone.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Not using Corporate products. They are retail box with multi-license packs.

    Bobby

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> To counter what BAR has posted;
    >>
    >> I maintain a medium sized network approaching 300 computers. Norton is
    >> installed on each. I also have it installed on my 5 home computers. In
    >> no instance has it slowed downs the boot process on any of these
    >> machines.
    >>

    > Are you actually using the consumer-grade Norton Anti-virus on a corporate
    > LAN, or are you using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition? There's a vast
    > difference between the two products, and the way they behave; their
    > respective impact upon a PC's performance isn't at all the same. (I
    > support a somewhat larger LAN (4200 workstations) using SAV-CE, with no
    > problems, but wouldn't recommend the home product to anyone.)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > You will have a hard time finding a
    >> tech (including me) who will recommend Norton products any more.

    Reasons being? Please explain...

    Malke wrote:
    > figaro wrote:
    >

    >>I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home.
    >>Been using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I
    >>mostly used utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web
    >>site it looks like there are plenty of maintenance tools that come
    >>with it so I wonder if the Norton utilities are worth it. I do like
    >>having the Anti-virus that warns me when one is coming in the email.
    >>Does XP have a feature that will do this and update virus definitions
    >>each day? Any program better and if so why? What about the firewall
    >>that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I need?
    >

    > You do not need the Utilities (SystemWorks) type of program on XP. You
    > must have an antivirus program. You will have a hard time finding a
    > tech (including me) who will recommend Norton products any more. I use
    > F-Prot on my Windows machines, but there are many other antivirus
    > programs. Another popular one is EZ-Trust by Computer Associates. Your
    > new computer may very well come with a trial version of either Norton
    > or McAfee. You can use that for a while and see if like it. Or download
    > a trial version from some other company.
    >
    > The Windows XP Firewall is OK. It does not do outbound filtering and is
    > very good for users who don't want to be questioned by their firewall
    > as to whether some program is allowed to access the Internet. If you
    > are a more sophisticated user, then both ZoneAlarm and Sygate have good
    > firewalls that are free for personal use. Only you know what kind of
    > user you are. If you go for a third-party firewall, make sure you
    > disable the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > In any case, do not connect a Windows machine to the Internet without a
    > firewall and antivirus in place.
    >
    > Malke
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Derek Sowa" <techl@trulycanadian.info> wrote in message
    >> You will have a hard time finding a
    >>> tech (including me) who will recommend Norton products any more.
    >
    > Reasons being? Please explain...

    Read the other posts in this thread. That's your answer.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I've been using and maintaining norton antivirus products for years now and
    I am yet to have an issue with any of them...

    Mind you these are with the corporate and enterprise editions not the home
    editions

    "Scott M." <s-mar@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > "Derek Sowa" <techl@trulycanadian.info> wrote in message
    >>> You will have a hard time finding a
    >>
    >> Reasons being? Please explain...
    >
    > Read the other posts in this thread. That's your answer.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I think this thread is focusing on the home product line.

    "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using and maintaining norton antivirus products for years now
    > and I am yet to have an issue with any of them...
    >
    > Mind you these are with the corporate and enterprise editions not the home
    > editions
    >
    > "Scott M." <s-mar@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Derek Sowa" <techl@trulycanadian.info> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Reasons being? Please explain...
    >>
    >> Read the other posts in this thread. That's your answer.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    whoops! - my mistake......

    >I think this thread is focusing on the home product line.
    >

    > "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    figaro wrote:
    > I will soon be getting a computer and for the first time have XP home. Been
    > using ME. I have always had Norton Utilities and Antivirus. I mostly used
    > utilities to defrag, scan disc etc. Looking at the XP web site it looks like
    > there are plenty of maintenance tools that come with it so I wonder if the
    > Norton utilities are worth it. I do like having the Anti-virus that warns me
    > when one is coming in the email. Does XP have a feature that will do this
    > and update virus definitions each day? Any program better and if so why?
    > What about the firewall that you can get with service pack 2. Is that all I
    > need?

    Hi,
    I've just gotten rid of Norton AV. I wouldn't recomend it. It slows down
    your system. A very bloated program, as is McAfee (even worse). Zone
    alarm, F-secure, AVG (free) and PC-cillin are all better. Zone alarm can
    also come as Internet security, i.e. with Firewall.
    I would recommend you get an external firewall if you use internet a
    lot, also get a antispyware (Spybot, Adaware or can also try Miscrosoft
    anti-spyware, I hear it's quite good - all free).
    There is no MS XP antivirus package yet, although one will available ~
    christmas.
    Xp firewall is OK, but It will only stop inbound traffic, therefore no
    good if you get worm, trojan etc.
    If it were me I would get a firewall + AV software. Although you may
    also have these from your ISP, or if you have a router oyu may have a
    hardware firewall.
    Know this is a lot to absorb. Hope goes well.

Norton Windows XP