security for wireless network

a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 5, 2005 1:29:09 PM

Hi All
I have some confusion regarding "access" vs "eavesdropping" regarding how
best to
configure my wireless network.

I have just set up a wireless home network (XP pro desktop and laptop,
netgear wireless router and Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g
54Mbps MiniPCI Wireless Card ). I have logged into the router and
specified the MAC address exclusive to my wireless card.

1)Does this mean no one else can access my network to send and receive data?
2) Does this mean that no one else can "see" what I am sending and receiving
(as they have no access)?
3) Are "authentication" key and " WEP encryption" required if you have
limited your wirelsss lan to known MAC addresses?

TIA

Sam
June 5, 2005 1:29:10 PM

Sam Lewis wrote:

> Hi All
> I have some confusion regarding "access" vs "eavesdropping" regarding
> how best to
> configure my wireless network.
>
> I have just set up a wireless home network (XP pro desktop and laptop,
> netgear wireless router and Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Dual Band
> 802.11a/b/g
> 54Mbps MiniPCI Wireless Card ). I have logged into the router and
> specified the MAC address exclusive to my wireless card.
>
> 1)Does this mean no one else can access my network to send and receive
> data? 2) Does this mean that no one else can "see" what I am sending
> and receiving (as they have no access)?
> 3) Are "authentication" key and " WEP encryption" required if you have
> limited your wirelsss lan to known MAC addresses?

Here are links that will answer your questions:

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

In news:o 9GKpPWaFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Malke <notreally@invalid.com> typed:
> Sam Lewis wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>> I have some confusion regarding "access" vs "eavesdropping" regarding
>> how best to
>> configure my wireless network.
>>
>> I have just set up a wireless home network (XP pro desktop and
>> laptop, netgear wireless router and Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Dual Band
>> 802.11a/b/g
>> 54Mbps MiniPCI Wireless Card ). I have logged into the router and
>> specified the MAC address exclusive to my wireless card.
>>
>> 1)Does this mean no one else can access my network to send and
>> receive data? 2) Does this mean that no one else can "see" what I am
>> sending and receiving (as they have no access)?
>> 3) Are "authentication" key and " WEP encryption" required if you
>> have limited your wirelsss lan to known MAC addresses?
>>

> Here are links that will answer your questions:
>
> Wireless - Basic Security -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
>
> Malke

Excellent, Malke - this is very useful :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 5, 2005 10:56:46 PM