Virus killed my machine

I believe a virus is killing my machine, it can take up to 8 hours just to
load up to the desktop.

I cannot load or run anything on the computer now as it is sooooooooooooooo
slow.
I can however start up in Safe Mode. but obviously this does not load many
of the drivers or apps required to locate and repair system.

I have tried obvious procedures like Restore Points, but these have been
wiped. Windows Installer will not load so I cannot try any heavy duty
Anti-Virus Programs.

Will reformatting my hard drive get rid of the virus. I believe this is my
only chance.

TIA

p.s. it's a new machine with all the whistles and bells, running the latest
XP Home Edition, unfortunately not with any anti-virus/spam/firewall (apart
from XP's own) software.
2 answers Last reply
More about virus killed machine

    Charly wrote:

    > I believe a virus is killing my machine, it can take up to 8 hours
    > just to load up to the desktop.
    >
    > I cannot load or run anything on the computer now as it is
    > sooooooooooooooo slow.
    > I can however start up in Safe Mode. but obviously this does not load
    > many of the drivers or apps required to locate and repair system.
    >
    > I have tried obvious procedures like Restore Points, but these have
    > been
    > wiped. Windows Installer will not load so I cannot try any heavy duty
    > Anti-Virus Programs.
    >
    > Will reformatting my hard drive get rid of the virus. I believe this
    > is my only chance.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > p.s. it's a new machine with all the whistles and bells, running the
    > latest XP Home Edition, unfortunately not with any
    > anti-virus/spam/firewall (apart from XP's own) software.

    Yes, formatting your drive will get rid of the virus and everything
    else, too. You haven't done anything useful to remove the virus though.
    Perhaps you'd like to try that first? I'll give you some things to try,
    or you could take the machine to a professional computer repair shop
    (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). You will need to get all
    tools/updates from a different, known-clean computer with an Internet
    connection and a cd burner. All removal work must be done with updated
    tools in Safe Mode.

    Since you obviously have no antivirus program installed, start by
    running TrendMicro's Syclean. Then get a full-featured av, install it,
    update it, and do a thorough scan in Safe Mode. Then continue cleaning
    with non-viral malware removal.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter].

    A. Sysclean - TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which
    has the advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts
    - the scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary
    and Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

    1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    useful like "Sysclean".
    2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

    The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
    automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

    3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    menu.
    4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

    B. Non-viral malware removal - You can find all the links to referenced
    programs and sites on my website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
    website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
    HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
    with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Clean Install Windows XP

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    avast! Home Edition is now free of charge for HOME users for NON-COMMERCIAL use.
    You can find more info here:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Charly" wrote:

    | I believe a virus is killing my machine, it can take up to 8 hours just to
    | load up to the desktop.
    |
    | I cannot load or run anything on the computer now as it is sooooooooooooooo
    | slow.
    | I can however start up in Safe Mode. but obviously this does not load many
    | of the drivers or apps required to locate and repair system.
    |
    | I have tried obvious procedures like Restore Points, but these have been
    | wiped. Windows Installer will not load so I cannot try any heavy duty
    | Anti-Virus Programs.
    |
    | Will reformatting my hard drive get rid of the virus. I believe this is my
    | only chance.
    |
    | TIA
    |
    | p.s. it's a new machine with all the whistles and bells, running the latest
    | XP Home Edition, unfortunately not with any anti-virus/spam/firewall (apart
    | from XP's own) software.

Virus Windows XP