Are tv-video-capture drivers of ATI downward compatible?

Are tv-video-capture drivers of ATI downward compatible?

With the Radeon AIW 8500DV video-card I have on my computer, the latest
version of Catalyst Driver Bundle which works without hanging up Windows XP
is Catalyst 3.0 and MMC 7.7.0.1(without DVD). When I tried the later
versions like Catalyst 3.1 and MMC 8.8, the system hung up.

The video-capture driver in Catalyst 3.0 is tv-capture-wdm-6-14-01-6178v1
and it is working fine for TV Tuner and composite source.

But for capturing a movie directly on a DVD-VR with NeroVision Express 3,
Nero's web-site specifies that the NeroVision Express user must have ATI
6.14.10.6404 (12//02/2003).

My question to ATI and video capture experts on this Newsgroup is: can I
install the 6.14.10.6404 which is actually a part of the Catalyst 3.10,
keeping the Control Panel and Display Drivers "as is" from Catalyst 3.0?

If yes, by what method should I migrate?

A) Do I have to remove the old driver using Windows Add/Remove
functionality ( which would make it impossible to Restor the system to the
old driver, if the new one fails) and then install the new driver or

B) ask Windows XP to update the driver and point towards the required new
driver? This would facilitate Restore, if necessary.

Thanks for any help ATI or any video capture expert of this Newsgroup can
give.

P. Jayant

digger

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it since it would be considered an
unsupported install and may ultimately cause more problems than it solves.

Driver updates are issued in bundles of matched sets and, since there may
exist subtle differences in function calls between different versions, it is
probably not a good idea to selectively mix old with new. Having said that,
WDM is primarily for legacy compatibility and not many changes are likely to
occur between releases. A quick review of release notes should be
indicative of anything significant.

There really is no logical reason for you to be limited to v3.0 drivers,
unless of course you're simply pushing the limits of your system beyond its
designed levels.:) The 8500DV is certainly a more recent card than my AIW
7200 and thus, if Windows XP is hanging, your hardware issues definitely
extend well beyond Catalyst drivers.

Probably about time to solve for the root cause of your system locks and
move on to more recent updates.

--
Digger

"P. Jayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> Are tv-video-capture drivers of ATI downward compatible?
>

> With the Radeon AIW 8500DV video-card I have on my computer, the latest
> version of Catalyst Driver Bundle which works without hanging up Windows
> XP is Catalyst 3.0 and MMC 7.7.0.1(without DVD). When I tried the later
> versions like Catalyst 3.1 and MMC 8.8, the system hung up.
>

> The video-capture driver in Catalyst 3.0 is tv-capture-wdm-6-14-01-6178v1
> and it is working fine for TV Tuner and composite source.
>
> But for capturing a movie directly on a DVD-VR with NeroVision Express 3,
> Nero's web-site specifies that the NeroVision Express user must have ATI
> 6.14.10.6404 (12//02/2003).
>
> My question to ATI and video capture experts on this Newsgroup is: can I
> install the 6.14.10.6404 which is actually a part of the Catalyst 3.10,
> keeping the Control Panel and Display Drivers "as is" from Catalyst 3.0?
>

> If yes, by what method should I migrate?
>
> A) Do I have to remove the old driver using Windows Add/Remove
> functionality ( which would make it impossible to Restor the system to the
> old driver, if the new one fails) and then install the new driver or
>
> B) ask Windows XP to update the driver and point towards the required
> new driver? This would facilitate Restore, if necessary.
>

> Thanks for any help ATI or any video capture expert of this Newsgroup can
> give.
>

> P. Jayant

Thanks for your reply.

But could I create a Restore point with the existing set-up, update the
driver through Windows XP, see if it works and go back with restore, if it
doesn't? Do you visualize any problems? If Windows recognizes the new driver
because it is from a legacy set, well and good. It would then satisfy
NeroVision Express 3 and I can at least take advantage of direct to DVD-RW
capture functionality NVE3.

I am not sure what all things change when one uninstalls and re-installs a
software, as I would have to do, otherwise.

P. Jayant

digger

I wouldn't have a problem trying it myself, but as I stated
previously...there is already a problem somewhere in your system and any
changes are likely to have unpredictable results.

Good luck,